Who should Dawg fans pull for when Auburn plays Washington on opening day?

coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a rule, I pull against Auburn unless they are playing Bama or one of our SEC East opponents that needs to get a loss to help us win the division. While Auburn is a hated rival and one of our biggest competitors for in-state recruits,. Auburn beating Washington, and both us and Bama beating Auburn, could make the difference in the loser of the SECCG making the playoffs, as Washington is one of the favorites to win the PAC 12. Would you rather see Auburn beat Washington and give us a better chance at making the playoffs, or would you rather see Washington win and make our anticipated game vs Bama more likely to be a play-in game for the playoffs?

Comments

• Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Auburn -- hands down.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going for Auburn. As you said, UW has a good shot at the PAC title, thus playoff consideration. Auburn winning also helps UGA’s SOS, which is more in question this year due to OOC slate. We get Auburn on our schedule, so we can take care of them ourselves. It might hurt recruiting against Auburn if they win... until UGA gets a chance to beat them. UGA, Bama and Auburn are basically the only 3 teams carrying the SEC banner. Don’t want it to drop to only 2 teams early in the season (not in a “go SEC” kind of way, just in what benefits UGA long term way)... None of this matters if UGA can win the east and beat Bama for the SECCG, with no more than one loss.

• Cincy_Dawg21Cincy_Dawg21 Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Auburn, without a doubt. Our out of conference schedule this year is terrible. We need as many top 10-25 victories as possible. We probably cannot afford a mulligan during the season this year and get into the playoffs without winning the SEC like Bama did last year. Auburn may be our only top 25 W (or L) by the time the regular season is over.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unfortunately i agree with the others ... auburn ... i want a 6-0 score ...

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 11

I simply cannot help myself. ANYBODY beating the BARN? THAT'S FUNNY!!! In last year's New Year's Day Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl at the "Benz," when UCF beat the BARN??? ABSOLUTELY Hilarious!!! Not a Washington fan at all, I just cannot stand the BARN!

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree that it would help us most if Auburn wins, but I'm torn. Part of me would rather the SECCG come down to a play-in game, where we would be done with Bama when we beat them. The other part wants to make the playoffs and get another shot at them if we lose the SECGC.

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Non-Conference win against Washington = helps SEC teams SOS
    Any possible recruiting gains will be lost when they lose to UGA and Bama - i.e. stronger/better SEC teams.

@mattmd2 you make a most valid point. It's just the "BARN." Only thing (in the SEC) that exceeds that kind of smell? That'd be Florida. GO DAWGS!!!

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 190 ✭✭✭ Junior

Auburn - helps our strength of schedule score.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll be rooting for the Dawgs B)

I understand SOS , etc, etc... it's just that I cannot find myself actively "rooting?" for the BARN. They win? Great. They lose? Even GREATER!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They don't even know if they are the tigers or the eagles, gosh I hate auburn

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I'm disgusted at y'all. Letting SoS considerations get in the way of hating our rivals. I want auburn tech and florida to go 0-12 every year. We don't need a pity slot like bama got last year cause we will beat them in the SECCG. I hope the huskies beat em by 30 points

Well, SOS is part of the playoff formula, so there’s that. Never hurts to play a better ranked team in the regular season, especially with this year’s OOC schedule and the east probably still being down. It’s a backup plan in case UGA drops an unexpected game against SC or LSU for instance... it’s a smart way of thinking of it, instead of just blind hatred towards our rivals.

edited July 11

@judasdurant It's REALLY hard to pick between them all, they are all just so.... ugh.... disgusting, & ORANGE. That's IT!!! ORANGE = EVIL.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate orange

@Teddy You being the voice of reason, and bringing in logic.... that makes sense supporting your argument, but it is the freaking BARN!!! I mean... ugh.... I just can't.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want Auburn to win.

I usually root for SEC teams when they’re playing out of conference.

You guys who think we’re not supposed to take pride in SEC football are falling pretty to what ESPN wants as they try to nationalize the sport to make it more like the NFL so they can more easily make money off it.

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I want auburn to finish dead last in the SEC West, that’s how bad I want them to lose

2012 was hilarious. If I could see that happen twice in one decade, I'd slap my grandma.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 626 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Teddy said:

@benjaminwgregg said:
    I'm disgusted at y'all. Letting SoS considerations get in the way of hating our rivals. I want auburn tech and florida to go 0-12 every year. We don't need a pity slot like bama got last year cause we will beat them in the SECCG. I hope the huskies beat em by 30 points

Well, SOS is part of the playoff formula, so there’s that. Never hurts to play a better ranked team in the regular season, especially with this year’s OOC schedule and the east probably still being down. It’s a backup plan in case UGA drops an unexpected game against SC or LSU for instance... it’s a smart way of thinking of it, instead of just blind hatred towards our rivals.

I'm cheering for Auburn to regret Gus's contract, plain and simple

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    Let each SEC team & their own fanbases fend for themselves. They’re BIG BOYS, & they can handle it. Auburn doesn’t need me (a diehard Georgia fan) to chant along... SEC, SEC.... The SEC as individual teams? Each one take care of their own individual problems, or opponents & yes, the talent rich area, produces results. That is why it’s the SEC. For me??? It’s only GO DAWGS!!!! ALL DAY LONG!!!

A little louder for the people in the back!

@VALDOSTADAWG AMEN SIR!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@christopherules said:
    Let each SEC team & their own fanbases fend for themselves. They’re BIG BOYS, & they can handle it. Auburn doesn’t need me (a diehard Georgia fan) to chant along... SEC, SEC.... The SEC as individual teams? Each one take care of their own individual problems, or opponents & yes, the talent rich area, produces results. That is why it’s the SEC. For me??? It’s only GO DAWGS!!!! ALL DAY LONG!!!

Ya know, I really hate that "SEC, SEC" chant. Just seems more fitting for Vandy or Arky to cheer something like that since they have no chance of a conference title.

Also, pretty sure no other conference cheers "BIG 12, BIG 12" etc.

I could be wrong about that, but I've never heard it personally.