GaBoyMiddletonGaBoyMiddleton Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

When Fields comes in, its like a breath of fresh air. Everything opens up

Comments

• GaBoyMiddletonGaBoyMiddleton Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I still want to see him for a full drive

Yep me too

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was disappointed they put Fields right back in on his first drive after he walked off injured after the play he badly overthrew the receiver down the sideline. They missed a good opportunity to teach the lesson about the importance of QB toughness and not coming off the field unless truly injured. The great QBs dont walk off the field like he did.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh yeah....well I guess that's a fair point. Ooops.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Are we watching the same game? I thought the exact opposite. We become one dimensional when he’s in. He’s still not going through progressions and wants to run after his first look.

Dude we get it, you’re a staunch Fromm supporter, and last night was the first time all year that Fromm was in complete control. Truly dominant performance. This agenda you’re trying to push on what Fields isn’t, simply makes you look s t u p i d. No other way to say it. Even in his misses you see glimpses of what he brings to the table. Effortless 60 yard bomb on his 3rd attempt of the game, 2 yards too long. Strike on the run to Godwin. Yes after he took one to the chin, he got happy feet on third down early and ducked his head, limiting his ability to see JJ streaking across the middle for a first down. Easily coachable. Your constant “what I see is Nick Marshall narrative” is lame.

Fromm proved why he’s the starter last night and that’s all this fan base wants; for Fromm to assume the role we know he’s capable of. First time he’s looked comfortable since 17. He’s looked off since Gday imo. No agenda that we have to win with a certain QB. Fields has a ways to go but he is a passer who can run. His time is coming and as has been said repeatedly on this board that’ll be in 19. Relax on your b.s.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Are we watching the same game? I thought the exact opposite. We become one dimensional when he’s in. He’s still not going through progressions and wants to run after his first look.

Dude we get it, you’re a staunch Fromm supporter, and last night was the first time all year that Fromm was in complete control. Truly dominant performance. This agenda you’re trying to push on what Fields isn’t, simply makes you look s t u p i d. No other way to say it. Even in his misses you see glimpses of what he brings to the table. Effortless 60 yard bomb on his 3rd attempt of the game, 2 yards too long. Strike on the run to Godwin. Yes after he took one to the chin, he got happy feet on third down early and ducked his head, limiting his ability to see JJ streaking across the middle for a first down. Easily coachable. Your constant “what I see is Nick Marshall narrative” is lame.

Fromm proved why he’s the starter last night and that’s all this fan base wants; for Fromm to assume the role we know he’s capable of. First time he’s looked comfortable since 17. He’s looked off since Gday imo. No agenda that we have to win with a certain QB. Fields has a ways to go but he is a passer who can run. His time is coming and as has been said repeatedly on this board that’ll be in 19. Relax on your b.s.

Spoken like a true Mike Griffith disciple.

@GrayDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Spoken like a true Mike Griffith disciple.

Who are you? Never mind rhetorical question. Just watching the games, objectively. Enjoy your time here.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Dude, what with the anger and personal attacks? Tone it down a bit. I don’t have an agenda. I just think it’s clear who the better QB is. Fromm is now the #4 rated passer in the country. Why does everyone want Fields to take over? I don’t get that. The fact is, Fields threw the ball 6 times and completed 3. he also ran 4 times. That is not a good pass/rush ratio for what we need. I think there is this wishful thinking among some of the fanbase that if Fields is just turned lose he will immediately be Vince Young incarnate and our offense will never punt again and score on every drive. There really isn’t a controversy at QB. We have a clear #1 and a clear #2.

Spoken like a rational observer.

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Dude, what with the anger and personal attacks? Tone it down a bit. I don’t have an agenda. I just think it’s clear who the better QB is. Fromm is now the #4 rated passer in the country. Why does everyone want Fields to take over? I don’t get that. The fact is, Fields threw the ball 6 times and completed 3. he also ran 4 times. That is not a good pass/rush ratio for what we need. I think there is this wishful thinking among some of the fanbase that if Fields is just turned lose he will immediately be Vince Young incarnate and our offense will never punt again and score on every drive. There really isn’t a controversy at QB. We have a clear #1 and a clear #2.

That’s not a personal attack. I don’t know you and definitely not angry. It’s radical candor to get your attention because statements you make, make you look s t u p i d, which is what I said. Doesn’t mean you are **** but it’s clear you’re pushing an agenda, which is to tear Fields down. I haven’t seen anyone that’s been on this board more than a month (excluding trolls) saying Fields should be the starter, regardless of how we look. What’s been said is offense has not looked the way it should, and Fromm who all our confidence was in coming into the season, looked off. If Kirby says we needed a spark, folks we needed a dang spark. The controversy was picking up steam based on the production of the offense, nothing more. If you need a spark from the backup QB, and it continues, eventually you start with the person giving you the spark from the beginning. It’s not complicated. Fromm shut all that down last night, in a emphatic way. He’s the solid #1 and can run this offense and make it humm. We looked like the best team in country imo last night, despite penalties. Fields is the #2 and a great talent. No need to crap on one of them to elevate the other.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

That’s not a personal attack. I don’t know you and definitely not angry. It’s radical candor to get your attention because statements you make, make you look s t u p i d, which is what I said. Doesn’t mean you are **** but it’s clear you’re pushing an agenda, which is to tear Fields down. I haven’t seen anyone that’s been on this board more than a month (excluding trolls) saying Fields should be the starter, regardless of how we look. What’s been said is offense has not looked the way it should, and Fromm who all our confidence was in coming into the season, looked off. If Kirby says we needed a spark, folks we needed a dang spark. The controversy was picking up steam based on the production of the offense, nothing more. If you need a spark from the backup QB, and it continues, eventually you start with the person giving you the spark from the beginning. It’s not complicated. Fromm shut all that down last night, in a emphatic way. He’s the solid #1 and can run this offense and make it humm. We looked like the best team in country imo last night, despite penalties. Fields is the #2 and a great talent. No need to crap on one of them to elevate the other.

Call me s t u p i d but it’s not a personal attack. Got it. Based on what you just wrote, it sounds like I’ve been correct the whole time, doesn’t it? You agree that Fromm is, and always has been, our #1 QB. highest scoring offense in school history and people still complain because we don’t score more. My point is, our offense uses a pocket passer. It always has. We have a bevy of elite RBs and WRs. We don’t need a QB who takes receptions away from receivers by taking off to quickly and carries away from RBs by calling his own run plays. Fromm is the perfect guy in our system. Fields will get there eventually, but anyone who watches the game can clearly see that he is not comfortable in the pocket yet. that is not a tearing him down, it’s just the way it is.

We can disagree on this, but it doesn't make anyone s t u p i d. It’s a difference of opinion. Lighten up, friend.

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Call me s t u p i d but it’s not a personal attack. Got it. Based on what you just wrote, it sounds like I’ve been correct the whole time, doesn’t it? You agree that Fromm is, and always has been, our #1 QB. highest scoring offense in school history and people still complain because we don’t score more. My point is, our offense uses a pocket passer. It always has. We have a bevy of elite RBs and WRs. We don’t need a QB who takes receptions away from receivers by taking off to quickly and carries away from RBs by calling his own run plays. Fromm is the perfect guy in our system. Fields will get there eventually, but anyone who watches the game can clearly see that he is not comfortable in the pocket yet. that is not a tearing him down, it’s just the way it is.

We can disagree on this, but it doesn't make anyone s t u p i d. It’s a difference of opinion. Lighten up, friend.

Believe I’ve said Fields would get his shot in 19 at very beginning of the season, but I digress.

You’re right. You’re not ****. Some of the comments you make are.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Believe I’ve said Fields would get his shot in 19 at very beginning of the season, but I digress.

??? So you agree with me that Fromm is clearly the #1 QB on he team, but you think Fields should be #1 next year. That sounds pretty s t u p i d to me. Why? What make you think, assuming both guys get better (as players tend to do every year), that Fromm should be benched in 2019.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

@GrayDawg said:
    Fromm balled out tonight. Offense looked much better.

We pass blocked far better. That was the key for me.

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Oh yeah....well I guess that's a fair point. Ooops.

Also, he might not have chosen to do that. The coaching staff might have been playing it safe and sent Fromm in for a play. And the rule about losing one's helmet. This raises a ? for me. Do most helmets come off because of chin straps being "too loose" ? If not, is there some way to build a better chin strap to keep it from happening. I don't recall it happening back in the day - for me the 60's and 70's. Just curious.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

The part you seem to miss is Fields is still a 1-read QB.

He has been all year. He makes one read in the passing game and takes off if it's covered. He misses a lot of opportunities in his pass attempts because he's so quick to run

Fields isn't ready yet. Not because of ability... but he simply hasn't been coached to the point where he goes through 3-4 targets on his progression before taking off.

He needs to be used like Tim Tebow was as a freshman. He also needs to be the QB any time the coaches think the wildcat is a good idea... because he's a great runner AND can legitimately throw a pass. But we will take a step back offensively if he has to step in as a passer because of his inability (at least so far) to go beyond one read in the passing game.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

@GrayDawg said:
    Fromm balled out tonight. Offense looked much better.

We pass blocked far better. That was the key for me.

Fromm had all day to throw on the TD to Godwin

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:
    Do most helmets come off because of chin straps being "too loose" ? If not, is there some way to build a better chin strap to keep it from happening. I don't recall it happening back in the day - for me the 60's and 70's. Just curious.

I don't know what's going on with the helmets but I share your impression that they come off more frequently now than in the past. (Not just 50 years ago but even 10 years ago.)

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 7

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

Fromm has Mayfield upside, I'm not at all sure Fields has a higher ceiling than that.
    What I am sure of is Jake is our best QB now and I expect he'll be our starter through next season.
    After yesterday Fromm has the 4th highest passer rating in CFB, he has the 4th highest completion percentage and the 5th highest yards per attempt, he has 12tds 2 ints and his best work is ahead of him.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 7

There were times last night when Fromm has forever to check down and pass. The TD to Godwin took a while to develop, but it ALL started with great protection. The OL, RBs, and TEs all blocked better than they have all year. That’s why Fromm and Fields looked so much better.

edited October 7

@greshamdisco said:
    There were times last night when Fromm has forever to check down and pass. The TD to Godwin took a while to develop, but it ALL started with great protection. The OL, RBs, and TEs all blocked better than they have all year. That’s why Fromm and Fields looked so much better.

Jake is still slightly tentative when he goes through 3 or more progressions as he did with the td pass to TG.
    We forget he's just halfway thru his true sophomore year, he is already among the best and he will get even better as he reads through his progressions quicker.
    I re-watched the highlights of our Rose Bowl win this morning, Jake is a whole lot like Mayfield.

@DawginSC said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

He has been all year. He makes one read in the passing game and takes off if it's covered. He misses a lot of opportunities in his pass attempts because he's so quick to run

Fields isn't ready yet. Not because of ability... but he simply hasn't been coached to the point where he goes through 3-4 targets on his progression before taking off.

He needs to be used like Tim Tebow was as a freshman. He also needs to be the QB any time the coaches think the wildcat is a good idea... because he's a great runner AND can legitimately throw a pass. But we will take a step back offensively if he has to step in as a passer because of his inability (at least so far) to go beyond one read in the passing game.

This is why it’s a pointless debate. I can’t debate opinions. I’d agree he only reads progression to one side of the field as I’ve outlined on numerous threads. But if y’all feel he’s a one read, then run guy, it’s clear you don’t know what you’re looking at. For the umpteenth time I’m glad we won and Fromm finally looked like Fromm we’ve expected.

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

??? So you agree with me that Fromm is clearly the #1 QB on he team, but you think Fields should be #1 next year. That sounds pretty s t u p i d to me. Why? What make you think, assuming both guys get better (as players tend to do every year), that Fromm should be benched in 2019.

Why was Fromm great last night? Fields ceiling is higher, EXCLUSIVELY in college, because he is less dependent on everyone else having a great game to be effective and move the chains. Today, Fromm clearly has a better grasp of the offense, probably because he has 1.5 years in the same system and has played 21 games so far. I guess Fields is too simple to pick up this offense so Fromm will never be threatened by Fields. Glad we won, in dominant fashion, moving on.

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@GaBoyMiddleton said:

This is why it’s a pointless debate. I can’t debate opinions. I’d agree he only reads progression to one side of the field as I’ve outlined on numerous threads. But if y’all feel he’s a one read, then run guy, it’s clear you don’t know what you’re looking at. For the umpteenth time I’m glad we won and Fromm finally looked like Fromm we’ve expected.

The ESPN Game Day crew basically outlined everything I've been stressing in our QB situation.
    I don't see an upside to keep pitting Fromm against Fields. Jake doesn't need pushed in a negative fashion, it is neutral at best and counter productive at worst.
    Yesterday was handled far better than the way our staff yanked Jake in and out against Tenn. I'm all for Fields playing a lot in a classic backup role.