2nd QB

Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 376 ✭✭✭ Junior

I saw on IG and FSF that we just offered the OKST committ Brendan Costello. Are we going to accept 2 QBs? Or is Plummlee decommitting? Anyone know anything about the qb situation?

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw that as well, and started to wonder.

1) is it a commitable offer ? Sometimes “offers” are floated to kids from schools we do not have a presence at (Out West, Up North). Gets the UGA name in the community and while helping the prospect boost his “rating”, a mutual positive for both.

2) could we be looking to get a 2nd qb, over a 2nd rb in this class ?

I personally don’t feel it’s a decommitment at the moment but just #1 and a potential backup plan.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

1) is it a commitable offer ? Sometimes “offers” are floated to kids from schools we do not have a presence at (Out West, Up North). Gets the UGA name in the community and while helping the prospect boost his “rating”, a mutual positive for both.

I personally don’t feel it’s a decommitment at the moment but just #1 and a potential backup plan.

Thanks for that ^^ Also, what else does a late recruiting season offer mean (other than goodwill)? Is a late season offer typically more likely to be genuine and acceptable (by UGA)?

edited October 9

@FirePlugDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Thanks for that ^^ Also, what else does a late recruiting season offer mean (other than goodwill)? Is a late season offer typically more likely to be genuine and acceptable (by UGA)?

@JeffSentell what are your thoughts on the above question ?

And add 3) A 2nd qb to the class

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmmm...not digging this. What's the upside for this kid? He will NEVER see the field. I don't see us needing to get another QB till the 2020 class.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

3 star dual threat. Wondering if we’re trying to stake a claim in Cali? Maybe for Kendall Milton to take notice too? Hmmm

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    Hmmm...not digging this. What's the upside for this kid? He will NEVER see the field. I don't see us needing to get another QB till the 2020 class.

You can't really know that, can you? Injuries can happen.

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Well, if we lose Fromm and Fields to injury next year...no 3-star DT QB is going to be much help. I just don't see what the attraction would be for this guy.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe good coaching can turn a 3* hs player into a 5* college player. It happens.

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 376 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’d be interested to see why this kid. They must see something they like even though he’s not rated highly. Maybe an Eric Stokes type of find which a lot of people on this board thought was a reach that has actually panned out.

Or (unpopular opinion)

Is it Fromm transfer insurance? I’m a big believer in Fromm and think he leaves UGA for the pros after 2019 season. But the big competition for best qb between Fields/Fromm is going to be in the spring. If Fields wins the qb battle would Jake transfer? If that happens it would be nice to have 3 scholarship qbs especially when all three are mobile.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 614 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the kid can play and wants to be a Dawg, then for sure took a look.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

Well, if we lose Fromm and Fields to injury next year...no 3-star DT QB is going to be much help. I just don't see what the attraction would be for this guy.

You mean he is just a 3 star like this guy: https://247sports.com/Player/Baker-Mayfield-20771/high-school-33131/. Think he turned out to be pretty good. If UGA is making the kid an offer, even if it is not committable, they must see something they like in the kid. I trust our Coaches to make good decisions in evaluating the potential recruits out there.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 9

@ChicagoDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

You mean he is just a 3 star like this guy: https://247sports.com/Player/Baker-Mayfield-20771/high-school-33131/. Think he turned out to be pretty good. If UGA is making the kid an offer, even if it is not committable, they must see something they like in the kid. I trust our Coaches to make good decisions in evaluating the potential recruits out there.

Wasn’t DeAndre Baker a 3* too? We see how he turned out B)

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

As Paul Harvey would say: The stars do not always tell "the rest of the story." Trust Kirby! I like Jeff's take but as others I wonder why he would want to come here?

Come on, guys....we aren’t in the 3-star QB market for real unless they happen to find a guy happy to run the practice squad and knows that up front. Just don’t see a guy with a scholarship already to a big program would give that up to come to UGA and not play.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 9

@greygoose01 said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@greygoose01 said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

YESSIR! Tyler Clark, JR Reed, Eric Stokes and Jordan Davis, too.

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ChicagoDawg said:

@greygoose01 said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

@greygoose01 said:

@ChicagoDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@donm said:

@pgjackson said:

YESSIR! Tyler Clark, Eric Stokes and Jordan Davis, too.

We all love 5* players. Coaches love players who can play. Maybe this kid is a baller. CKS has evaluated way more QBs than me. I’m going with his call.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd say maybe there is a commitable offer after Perry dropping. There was talks of 4 DBs at the end of everything but with Campbell and Stokes (along with Smith, Gibbs, Reese) all doing well there will be 3 guys taken and a extra scholarship is available and maybe a QB gets it and is used for throws and practice team.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    I'd say maybe there is a commitable offer after Perry dropping. There was talks of 4 DBs at the end of everything but with Campbell and Stokes (along with Smith, Gibbs, Reese) all doing well there will be 3 guys taken and a extra scholarship is available and maybe a QB gets it and is used for throws and practice team.

Especially if our DB class in 2019 is Cine, Stevenson, and Elam

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Especially if our DB class in 2019 is Cine, Stevenson, and Elam

That'd be a great pull in (with Divaad back healthy after being impressive in spring as well) then 2020 continue after Lejond, get back Nadab, and anyone of Davis II, Enzo, or McGlothern (at school with Sanders and Cine)... Plus sure there'll be some giys we never thought about or a PWO like Shilo Sanders (who will earn a scholly how he balls).

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone know who the top 2020 targets are? seems the 2020 class has some good talent at QB

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 10

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Does anyone know who the top 2020 targets are? seems the 2020 class has some good talent at QB

@JeffSentell , Why not just go for C.J. DIXON and MAX JOHNSON / ROBBY ASHFORD / JACOLBY CRISWELL / KEN SEALS / MICHAEL ALAIMO in 2020? All of those kids are highly rated, have visited Georgia and are, to various degrees, interested. Seems like, as at running back, there’s much better value in taking more in 2020 than this cycle.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

my favorite it CJ Dixon. There's also been talk about Robby Ashford but he is trending towards Auburn on the 247 CBs. Still a lot of time left

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying very hard not to read too deeply into the tea leaves here, but Jadon de-committing followed very shortly by maybe we’re looking at a 2nd QB…… It has been in the media on many occasions that Fields and Jadon are very close.

I don’t pay very much attention to the media stirring the pot regarding any kind of controversy, but sometimes tea leaves are just hard to overlook.

Come on guys. Help me out here.

@amjadawgs said:
    Trying very hard not to read too deeply into the tea leaves here, but Jadon de-committing followed very shortly by maybe we’re looking at a 2nd QB…… It has been in the media on many occasions that Fields and Jadon are very close.

I don’t pay very much attention to the media stirring the pot regarding any kind of controversy, but sometimes tea leaves are just hard to overlook.

Step back just a bit,

As @JeffSentell has said, a 2nd qb is more about needing depth and a live arm for reps (preserving the top guys arms and preventing fatigue), than it is about a transfer situation.

Most college teams have 3-4 QBs on a roster (UGA has 2).

Also, from what I’ve heard, Plumlee has been lighting it up this season and quality offers from other Power 5 schools are coming in (where he would have a legit chance to earns starting spot sooner rather than later).

This QB flirtation is more likely about the above items above than a roster transfer.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@amjadawgs said:

Here’s what we’re not ready to discuss as Dawgnation...(mentally I’m preparing for the bombardment of inflated stats that’ll be thrown my way like 43ppg).

First I wouldn’t put too much into this QB offer list. Many talking heads feels like 3-4 scholarship QBs is necessary for championship depth. Currently we have 2, with a third on the way. I believe this is all to it for the record.

Second-refer back to the recruitment of Fields. We already had Jake and Eason, and saw early indicators of Fromm’s brilliance, yet we still put our ace recruiter on Fields with respect to Pittman. Indicator of high priority (Dell is on Haselwood now too). Highest rated recruit UGA has ever landed. Here’s a list of recruits from 18-20 that have mentioned Fields as instrumental in their thoughts: Haselwood, T. Walker, N. Smith, L. Ford, A. Anderson, Q. Walker, T. Bush, T. Campbell, J. Emery Jr, R. Hunter, Q. Fuller, J. Salyer, J. Cook, J. Rogers...point being, it’s not so sublime who’s been paraded around with these top targets. Fields has even joked about him being the best recruiter on staff. This isn’t the strategy unless you plan on keeping a guy. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Third-Look at the new offers. Do they appear to be a skill set replacement for Fields or Fromm? I know that they’re listed as DT, but I watched tape yesterday and maybe there’s levels to the DT classification.

Bottom line I don’t think either one exits in 19, but if I were a gambling man, and I’m not not; smart money is on #1 sticking around. Haselwood is considering what’s best for him, nothing more than that.

I think UGA has the most paranoid fan-base in the nation.