Trick Plays

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 298 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Raiderbeater1 just posed the question about LSU running trick plays on Saturday.

What are y'all's thoughts on trick plays? Gimickie? Part of football?

I hate when other teams run them on us. I always think that means they can not beat us straight-up and have to resort to trick plays.

However, when my team runs them...I love it.

Comments

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trick plays done before you are desperate are risky if you fail. If you are in trouble and desperate--everybody should be looking for them increasing the likelihood you'd fail. If I were coaching, I'd probably avoid doing them.

• otis1105otis1105 Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think if you have to use them you’re desperate. It’s football do your job win your assignment and the wins will follow. I always like when a team runs a trick play and it fails because that means you have already won a large part of the mental game.

• BengalDawgBengalDawg Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

Trick plays are part of football. Its not just a means for inferior opponents to beat superior ones. They shift momentum and allow for teams to demoralize opponents. A few of the best ones in my opinion all run by very good teams...

LSU fake field goal. They were number 6 at the time with Leonard Fournette playing a number 8 UF. This play broke the tie and evetually was the score that won the game.

**Tebow jump pass. **This is the one from the 2008 national championship game. This score was also the nail in the coffin for Oklahoma.

Boise State hook and ladder, Wildcat (before it was a thing), and the fake pass. The trick plays were the only way Boise State can go toe to toe with a team like Oklahoma with Adrian Peterson. Easily one of the best bowl games ever.

these are just a few that totally changed a game and why I will always love the trick play. A truly disciplined team doesn't get beat by trickery and they are always fun when they get blown up.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BengalDawg said:
    Trick plays are part of football. Its not just a means for inferior opponents to beat superior ones. They shift momentum and allow for teams to demoralize opponents. A few of the best ones in my opinion all run by very good teams...

LSU fake field goal. They were number 6 at the time with Leonard Fournette playing a number 8 UF. This play broke the tie and evetually was the score that won the game.

**Tebow jump pass. **This is the one from the 2008 national championship game. This score was also the nail in the coffin for Oklahoma.

Boise State hook and ladder, Wildcat (before it was a thing), and the fake pass. The trick plays were the only way Boise State can go toe to toe with a team like Oklahoma with Adrian Peterson. Easily one of the best bowl games ever.

these are just a few that totally changed a game and why I will always love the trick play. A truly disciplined team doesn't get beat by trickery and they are always fun when they get blown up.

Awesome play calling and play execution. The looks on Stoops' face were priceless.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Play to win. Do what it takes even if it's not your MO. Trick plays are a part of the game. Score is what matters, not how you did it.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trick plays are by definition gimmicky, but they're part of the game, they add a pinch of spice to the mix.

• Sparky_DAWGSparky_DAWG Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would say Arkansas fans are against trick plays and North Texas fans are for trick plays...

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love them. Calling them gimmicky always felt like sour grapes to me.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

imo as long as the DAWGS walk off the field with 1 point more than our opponent, I'm fine with anything. That said, it shows you need that to beat a team head up, or it feels that way. But if your exploiting mismatches that's a bit different. IE: Nobody can run stride for stride with Hardman and a few of our guys. If it means a halfback pass or something to exploit that, they (opponent) should have been more prepared eh.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time and place for them. Some coaches practice and use them more than others.

edited October 10

We need to be alert to the old ''pull my finger'' trick. Those Cajuns have spicy diets, it could get fugly.

• BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Teams have to be flawless in executing a trick play. If you can pull it off, then hats off for me. Not at all gimmicky if it's pulled off, the defense should have known their assignments better.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:
    We need to be alert to the old ''pull my finger'' trick. Those Cajuns have spicy diets, it could get fugly.

Think that should be unsportsmanlike conduct or at least personal smells foul

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 137 ✭✭✭ Junior

Trick plays are not desperate plays,they are plays designed to catch you off guard.philly won a Superbowl using one.heck i hope CJC has 1 up his sleeve

@EricDawgs1 said:
    Trick plays are not desperate plays,they are plays designed to catch you off guard.philly won a Superbowl using one.heck i hope CJC has 1 up his sleeve

Nice post. The Eagles weren't at all desperate ( I don't think) when they threw to their QB for a TD. Just a great play call based, I assume, on what they saw from the defense.

• DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 180 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yep, that's football. All part of it. Every play has some element of trickeration to it.

@RPMdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

It would definitely be FOUL.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would be onboard for a flea flicker to 1 of our studs after gashing em for a few 1st down runs,,

@orlando said:
    Time and place for them. Some coaches practice and use them more than others.

@MacDawg15 said:
    I would be onboard for a flea flicker to 1 of our studs after gashing em for a few 1st down runs,,

Nothing wrong with a bit of cunning skullduggery, chicanery, subterfuge, and devious intrigue on a fall Saturday.
    Teams that don't quite have the rosters of their opponents seem to make the best use of such deceptions. VT and Boise St. have displayed a flare for such practices over the years.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 304 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bobby Bowden & FSU ran them consistently and very effectively during their hay days. Of course CMR was the offensive coordinator at the time so I’m sure it’s the dumbest thing FSU ever did in the history of their football team.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 298 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@RPMdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

It would definitely be FOUL.

As the self-proclaimed King of Dad jokes, I approve this.

edited October 11

@PlayHurt said:
    Bobby Bowden & FSU ran them consistently and very effectively during their hay days. Of course CMR was the offensive coordinator at the time so I’m sure it’s the dumbest thing FSU ever did in the history of their football team.

Did Boden originate the fumble-rooski or was that Nebraska under Osborne?