Is Herbstreit right about an LSU win?

MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Would this be the one to silence the critics?: https://dawgs.us/2A1I5lV

Tagged:

Comments

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith There will always, always, always be “critics”. However, a convincing and dominant Georgia win this week, & on the road at LSU? That just might quiet down one, or two of them for (maybe?) a little while anyway. GO DAWGS!!!

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It might satisfy some folks. But, if we beat LSU then Bama beats them, they are a 3 loss team and folks start to say that beating them is not all that impressive, especially if they drop another one they shouldn’t...

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭ Junior

They’re the best team the Dawgs will have played to date. Of course, as has been pointed out, if they continue to lose, then the narrative will be “LSU wasn’t any good anyway.” This is how it goes every season, more information is revealed each week about the best teams. So how about this? Go 15-0, and who cares? They can say what they like. The Dawgs will have a shiny trophy that says otherwise.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭ Junior

It will help, especially since we are playing in their place. Of course if they bomb the rest of the way then there will be questions. We still have Kentucky on the road, Florida on the road ( I don't care what anyone says, it's a road game) and Auburn at home. Not really concerned about our strength of schedule, as long as we take care of business then we'll be good.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it bogus to now discount ranked teams we beat just because they are no longer ranked. IMO, Georgia will have to keep recruiting in the top three and win a natty before we'll get the national respect Herby is talking about. But that won't stop people from trying to generate controversy over QB's, or the SOS (see Heather Who?) or even the way Kirby cuts his hair. Media will always want to doubt if there is a sliver of a reason to doubt.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 237 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA and BAMA are the only top teams that cannot run the table. If Notre Dame finishes 12 - 0, the loser of the SEC Championship game goes to a NY6. Every game is a must win.

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 60 ✭ Freshman

I think any type of win against a ranked LSU in Death Valley would be considered impressive. But to do that, we have to stop the run a lot better than we did against a much inferior Vandy and Missouri. Brossette is a beast.

• BrotatoChip88BrotatoChip88 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior

All of this is really just noise. Critics will critique; it's what they are paid to do. I couldn't care less who thinks the Dawgs are legit or not. I just want to win baby! LSU is just the next in line to receive a beat down at the hands of Kirby and his boys!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Griffith has a habit of baiting us with his thread titles.
    Clearly he gave the impression Herby is picking LSU, which isn't the case.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 10

@LowcountryDawg21 said:
    They’re the best team the Dawgs will have played to date. Of course, as has been pointed out, if they continue to lose, then the narrative will be “LSU wasn’t any good anyway.” This is how it goes every season, more information is revealed each week about the best teams. So how about this? Go 15-0, and who cares? They can say what they like. The Dawgs will have a shiny trophy that says otherwise.

You're right except we don't actually know how good LSU is. All that stuff is guesswork to a degree until the season is over because how good each and every team is is entirely relative to how good other teams are.

I'm sure you know this.

The talking heads on tv say all sorts of things but who even knows what they believe. Talking nonsense seems part of their job description.

It's at least theoretically possible for a team this year which could in almost any year be the best team anybody has ever seen, a super dominant championship team if you will, to be second or third best this year because there are one or two even more unusually great uber super dominant all time great teams also around this year. Unlikely of course, but final rankings really are all about the competition.

Mid season rankings are just for fun and to stir the pot.

I think you and I are entirely on the same page. The only matters of importance to Georgia are winning this weekend and doing everything within our control to improve every day in every possible way.

LSU may be the best team we've faced, but the same was said about South Carolina. The C O C K S were supposed to be a big bad scary dangerous team with a huge loud crowd and the early season advantage. That narrative changed when we beat them.

Kentucky was a darling team. Florida is this week's darling team. Alabama has played nobody yet they're #1. Yawn....

LSU could lose to several of the teams remaining on their schedule. On the radio yesterday one of their fans (maybe a sports writer but I'm not sure as I missed the beginning) was all but saying LSU would end up losing three or four game just like he'd predicted last summer, or something along those lines. He thought it likely LSU would beat Georgia and still lose three or four games. In other words his notion seemed to be that LSU is good but not very good.

We don't know yet if Georgia is good or very good. Maybe we'll become extremely good by the end of the season. It's happened to a less talented Georgia team in the recent past. Remember when Hawaii was supposed to show us our place?

Georgia is terribly talented and all that, yes! I think we'll beat LSU. In fact, I think we'll beat them badly. However, that's contingent on us playing a more mature game and our coaches taking advantage of our advantages. Much depends on a group of teenagers.

The key to the game is maturity. If it's on our keyring along with talent, determination, depth, execution, and conditioning we're golden and LSU is toast.

Go, Dawgs!

• mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have to beat Bama for the SECCG. That’s the bottom line. Everything else is just talk. Beat Bama, we’re in. That’s it.

It only gets interesting if ND, Clemson, or OSU loses a game they shouldn’t lose.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, Bama hasn’t proven anything either. Neither has Clemson or ND. OSU beat PSU, but didn’t look great against Ind. None of the elites have done much so far. Everyone has something to prove.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@mattmd2 said:
    We have to beat Bama for the SECCG. That’s the bottom line. Everything else is just talk. Beat Bama, we’re in. That’s it.

It only gets interesting if ND, Clemson, or OSU loses a game they shouldn’t lose.

I upvoted this comment by mistake because I totally disagree. It's interesting every day, year 'round. And Herbstreit is right. It's a huge test and a huge stage for our team.

Of course we have to beat Alabama, but only if we get to that game and Alabama wins the west. Neither are ordained.

Let us not put the cart before the horse the elephant before the tiger.

Go, Dawgs!

• fmr33fmr33 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

He qualified it with the actual post. I’m sure you read the post before you did or did not click on the article he attached.

edited October 10

@fmr33 said:

@WCDawg said:

He qualified it with the actual post. I’m sure you read the post before you did or did not click on the article he attached.

Yes I read the post, the title is bait.
    We see this trick used at many media sites.

• JMFDJMFD Posts: 142 ✭✭✭ Junior

No personal desire to silence them. Sure would like a teaspoon of respect though. That would be refreshing!

@JMFD said:
    No personal desire to silence them. Sure would like a teaspoon of respect though. That would be refreshing!

The article wasn't disrespectful, it just made the point that this is an important game for us...da.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 469 ✭✭✭ Junior

The lack of respect is actually good for the team imo. Last year, when we started getting love and respect and got moved to number 1 ahead of Bama, we let down. Didn’t look great against SC and looked horrible against AU1. We got humiliated and got the “dawgcrap” beat out of us and they got that chip on their shoulder and continued to get better. The rat poison idea is pretty accurate, but rat poison plays on our love for food. Talking heads going on and on about how great you are is actually a lot stronger. The desire to be great is more powerful than food or drugs and that is what dominant, number 1 teams have to deal with—people telling them they are great and unbeatable, etc. We are number 2 because they don’t know what else to do with us, not because they are believers.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JimWallace, you and I are on the same page. We learn more about these teams each week, and where they are at any given point in the season is not a referendum on the team (or season) as a whole. I remember reading some article after the Auburn game last year that said that the SECCG would have the same result as the first UGA/Barn meeting, it really didn’t matter that there were three weeks between the games. We all know how that went. Of course “Everyone relax and let the season play out” doesn’t drive clicks, downloads, viewers, or listeners.

BTW, thanks for reminding about the Hawaii beatdown. Easily one of my favorite memories as a UGA fan.

@PerroGrande said:
    The lack of respect is actually good for the team imo. Last year, when we started getting love and respect and got moved to number 1 ahead of Bama, we let down. Didn’t look great against SC and looked horrible against AU1. We got humiliated and got the “dawgcrap” beat out of us and they got that chip on their shoulder and continued to get better. The rat poison idea is pretty accurate, but rat poison plays on our love for food. Talking heads going on and on about how great you are is actually a lot stronger. The desire to be great is more powerful than food or drugs and that is what dominant, number 1 teams have to deal with—people telling them they are great and unbeatable, etc. We are number 2 because they don’t know what else to do with us, not because they are believers.

Show me where Herbstreit disrespected us in that article ? We're #2 when OSU and Clemson could easily make a case for that spot. If we're so underappreciated, why are we ranked so high ?

I'm of the mind being comfortable with expectations is important to being a perennial power.
    Bama, Miami, FSU, USC and Florida managed to thrive under the pressure of expectations, we'll have to do the same to stay in the top tier.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 613 ✭✭✭ Junior

@christopherules said:
    @MikeGriffith There will always, always, always be “critics”. However, a convincing and dominant Georgia win this week, & on the road at LSU? That just might quiet down one, or two of them for (maybe?) a little while anyway. GO DAWGS!!!

Try telling that you ya boy David Pollack.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 10

@nycdawg said:

@christopherules said:

@nycdawg I know it IS frustrating sir.... IMHO, he's just paying his family's bills. GO DAWGS!!!

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

@nycdawg said:

@christopherules said:

Keep it in the thread you started on the subject. I can't ignore every thread.

@PerroGrande said:

I should have singled out ESPN lol

But who really gives a toss what they think anyway. Bunch of snowflakes.

We're in a position where we have 100% control of our destiny this season.
    Of course if we lose it gets dicey, same with everybody else.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 469 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 10

@WCDawg said:

Show me where Herbstreit disrespected us in that article ? We're #2 when OSU and Clemson could easily make a case for that spot. If we're so underappreciated, why are we ranked so high ?

I'm of the mind being comfortable with expectations is important to being a perennial power.
    Bama, Miami, FSU, USC and Florida managed to thrive under the pressure of expectations, we'll have to do the same to stay in the top tier.

Actually, I said lack of respect, not disrespected. His tone is that UGA needs to prove its ranking, with the implication being he doubts our legitimacy. That is fine. LSU may beat us Saturday, in fact, and as I said, I’m happy they aren’t blowing sunshine and roses at the Dawgs. But, compare the tone toward UGA to the lower ranked Buckeyes a few weeks ago against Penn State. Note that he uses the same approach with them—the Buckeyes are really tough (like he said about LSU), and Penn State will have to prove they can play defense against the awesome Buckeyes. He was sort of right on that one, and he may be right here—UGA could be overrated.

Http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24831117

@PerroGrande said:

@WCDawg said:

Actually, I said lack of respect, not disrespected. His tone is that UGA needs to prove its ranking, with the implication being he doubts our legitimacy. That is fine. LSU may beat us Saturday, in fact, and as I said, I’m happy they aren’t blowing sunshine and roses at the Dawgs. But, compare the tone toward UGA to the lower ranked Buckeyes a few weeks ago against Penn State. Note that he uses the same approach with them—the Buckeyes are really tough (like he said about LSU), and Penn State will have to prove they can play defense against the awesome Buckeyes. He was sort of right on that one, and he may be right here—UGA could be overrated.

Http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24831117

I think you're reading more into this than is there.
    He didn't suggest he thinks we'll lose, just basically it's our biggest test so far, no argument there.

@christopherules said:

@nycdawg said:

@christopherules said:

@nycdawg I know it IS frustrating sir.... IMHO, he's just paying his family's bills. GO DAWGS!!!

He's doing what he's paid to do, which is stay neutral and give his honest opinions in an engaging manner.
    Herbstreit avoids talking a lot about OSU and David avoids talking a lot about UGA, it's as it should be.