Baker and pass D

PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
edited October 10 in Football

If this has already been posted I apologize but I just saw a great stat. Someone went through and compiled SEC leading WR stats showing that Deebo Samuels, Emmanuel Hall and Kaliya Lipscomb have combined for 81 catches, 1171 yds and 12 TDs in games they were NOT playing against Georgia and Deandre Baker. Against Baker and the Dawgs those three WRs have combined for 8 catches, 49 yds and 0 TDs. I didn't dig through to fact check but if accurate that is outstanding.

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 309 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, pretty amazing given our inability to get many sacks

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 10

@PTDawg said:
    If this has already been posted I apologize but I just saw a great stat. Someone went through and compiled SEC leading WR stats showing that Deebo Samuels, Emmanuel Hall and Kaliya Lipscomb have combined for 81 catches, 1171 yds and 12 TDs in games they were NOT playing against Georgia and Deandre Baker. Against Baker and the Dawgs those three WRs have combined for 8 catches, 49 yds and 0 TDs. I didn't dig through to fact check but if accurate that is outstanding.

Great stats, Baker is a huge asset, thanks.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The best part of this is how much work our young secondary has gotten. Look at the experience level of Bentley, Lock, and Shurmur. We usually don’t see that much experience and all of them could play on Sunday. I think the secondary might be better than a lot of Dawg fans realize.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PerroGrande said:
    The best part of this is how much work our young secondary has gotten. Look at the experience level of Bentley, Lock, and Shurmur. We usually don’t see that much experience and all of them could play on Sunday. I think the secondary might be better than a lot of Dawg fans realize.

I think Bentley's odds of playing on Sundays are dwindling by the moment. He's lost his starting gig.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

I think Bentley's odds of playing on Sundays are dwindling by the moment. He's lost his starting gig.

I'm not sure why he has been "elevated" to his current high status as a QB. Hasn't he been pretty middling over his career?

edited October 10

I thought he was hurt, but I agree he hasn’t done as well as expected this year. I am a Bentley fan, though. But, he’s thrown it a lot, over 700 attempts in the SEC. Shurmur has thrown it over 1000 times and Lock is approaching 1500. These guys are pretty experienced QBs, and they were working against our secondary with a lot of inexperienced guys. I think that is going to pay dividends later in the season as the young guys gain confidence. Yeah, it was Vandy, SC, and Mizzou, but I think those teams have unusually experienced and talented QBs.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:

@PTDawg HOLY SMOKE!!! Unbelievable!!!

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep playing like this and he’s a top 10 pick. Falcons? 🤔🤔🤔

@SoFL_Dawg said:

I'd love to see it, but The Birds have a lot of long term money tied up in Alford and Trufant, with limited cap space and a 53 man roster it seems unlikely they'll spend a high pick and invest a big contract in another CB.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

I'd love to see it, but The Birds have a lot of long term money tied up in Alford and Trufant, with limited cap space and a 53 man roster it seems unlikely they'll spend a high pick and invest a big contract in another CB.

Agreed. I think they're hoping Oliver develops to the point that he is able to take over for Alford or Trufant. I think eventually one of those two becomes a salary cap casualty.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Atlanta always passes on the dawgs for some reason.

edited October 10

@brentwilson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

They tried to move up to take AJ Green at #3, they couldn't pry it loose so the took Julio at I think #6.
    Gurley has 44 tds in 49 games played, Julio has 43 tds in 100 games...OVERRATED !

• BrianDawgBrianDawg Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PerroGrande said:
    I thought he was hurt, but I agree he hasn’t done as well as expected this year. I am a Bentley fan, though. But, he’s thrown it a lot, over 700 attempts in the SEC. Shurmur has thrown it over 1000 times and Lock is approaching 1500. These guys are pretty experienced QBs, and they were working against our secondary with a lot of inexperienced guys. I think that is going to pay dividends later in the season as the young guys gain confidence. Yeah, it was Vandy, SC, and Mizzou, but I think those teams have unusually experienced and talented QBs.

Completely agree, but our inexperienced guys are all extremely talented - a great QB might expose them - but these teams and QB’s are just good not great.

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Screw the falcons. Bears pick him up and im instantly a bears fan. Theyre currently winning me over. Roquan is becoming a stud beside leonard floyd and khalil mack is awesome to watch. Wims will eventually get his shot.

@tymoon31 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Screw the falcons. Bears pick him up and im instantly a bears fan. Theyre currently winning me over. Roquan is becoming a stud beside leonard floyd and khalil mack is awesome to watch. Wims will eventually get his shot.

Bengals or Bears.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tymoon31 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

I’m not ready to go there. Just let me die in peace.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

Re 'I'm not sure why he has been "elevated" to his current high status as a QB. Hasn't he been pretty middling over his career?'

My memory says Bentley stepped in mid season as a true freshman and gave the Chickens an improvement at QB. Perhaps he and his teams have not trended up that much since?

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@tymoon31 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

I’m not ready to go there. Just let me die in peace.

Falcons have always pissed me off.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 214 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PerroGrande said:

Throw one more opposition QB into this discussion. Rick Stockstill of MTSU. Before you laugh, let me remind you that he will go down as one of the greatest passers in college football history and he currently is the NCAA career leader for active QB's in passing yardage. Against the Dogs his two longest completions were both thrown 5 yards downfield.

Great point, RNB. I almost put him in there but I thought I might get jumped for saying it. The QBs we have faced so far have been very experienced. Surround them with better players and I don’t know how good they might be. It is very unusual in my memory to have had a string of guys like that from the weaker part of our schedule.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 274 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

They tried to move up to take AJ Green at #3, they couldn't pry it loose so the took Julio at I think #6.
    Gurley has 44 tds in 49 games played, Julio has 43 tds in 100 games...OVERRATED !

Well Gurley is a running back so he should have more TDs....