Boots on the ground at Destrehan HS just outside of New Orleans

JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,524 admin

Just got through chatting with John Emery Jr. for a little bit before practice.

• He will be at the game on Saturday. Sounds like as a recruit. Unofficial visit.
  • Emery was sporting those thick red Georgia rubberbands on each wrist.
  • Said he always has them on. Both of them.
  • Couldn't hold back the smiles as he was talking about his unofficial for the Tennessee game.

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs Need to show out for the Boot Boyz

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell if possible, any plans to check on Tyrion Davis? Thoughts on two RBs in 19?

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff, would you describe Emery as a big back? Doe he have the ability to shed tacklers Hershel style? How close in style and size is he to Zamir?

• Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    Jeff, would you describe Emery as a big back? Doe he have the ability to shed tacklers Hershel style? How close in style and size is he to Zamir?

I’m no Jeff, but I honestly think this kid is big and extremely agile/athletic. A bigger version of swift. Maybe more of a home run threat. But I’m most impressed by his ability to run routes and make guys look silly in the open field. And when this kid decides to move a pile he does that as well. Extremely versatile. Not ready to say Gurley.... but the kid is extremely good. Best back in this class.

• Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think we will take 2 RBs with Emery and Zeus coming in. We should be good at RB next year unless Holyfield leaves for the draft.

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Steve_Zissou said:
    I don't think we will take 2 RBs with Emery and Zeus coming in. We should be good at RB next year unless Holyfield leaves for the draft.

I personally don't think Zeus has any impact on how many RB's we will take. He may only stay at UGA for 2 more years before going to the NFL (if healthy). We will need RBs by then. Swift, holyfield, herrien will also be gone.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Steve_Zissou said:

Second back is Zeus insurance, as terrible as that sounds and I don’t mean any disrespect. Ty Davis brings a different body type, currently not existent in our RB room, similiar to D. Henry type. This is another best player available situation meaning we’ve signed every position of need/want. Personal preference would be only using second RB on this guy.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has Emery said anything about Georgia’s depth at RB yet? I assume he’ll say something about liking having teammates who can carry the load. Which is kind of talking about less chance to be injured, but I don’t think he’ll say it like that. The old line was how they loved the competition for your spot. But it’s been awhile since I’ve heard a recruit say something like that. I don’t follow it as closely as a lot of you guys though.

Just whatever he says about it, I assume it will be positive since he is a Georgia commit.

• Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 214 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Jinx55 said:

@JayDog said:

I’m no Jeff, but I honestly think this kid is big and extremely agile/athletic. A bigger version of swift. Maybe more of a home run threat. But I’m most impressed by his ability to run routes and make guys look silly in the open field. And when this kid decides to move a pile he does that as well. Extremely versatile. Not ready to say Gurley.... but the kid is extremely good. Best back in this class.

I'm no Jeff either but I have watched a lot of tape on this young man and I agree 100% with @Jinx55. As a matter of fact I was trying to come up with a word to describe Emery and his running style and ability. I finally realized the best word I could use was "perfect". He is absolutely IMHO the perfect running back. Now granted maybe he is a fumbler or can't block or something, but as far as running the ball, it don't get any better. So excited to have this guy. Not sure how he could be rated second behind anyone.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is BEYOND gifted. Even for our RB standards at UGA!

• orlandoorlando Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you have two good rb’s who want to come to Athens then take’em. They’ll have the confidence to compete for time and let’s face it, can never have to many.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Zeus can get back in the fold, but in the meantime, Emery will tote it. Are we still recruiting Tyrion Davis? Looking forward to hearing more about Kendall Milton and "Tank" in the future too.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,524 admin

@JayDog said:

There's a clip of him from this year where he carried six would-be tacklers down the field and was still gaining yards.

Here is that very clip. Courtesy of Garland Gillen. He's a local sports anchor in New Orleans.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    Doe he (John Emery) have the ability to shed tacklers Hershel style?

Can he run like Usain? Can he dunk like Jordan? Can he 200 butterfly like Phelps?