Conference scheduling

RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 60 ✭ Freshman

I’m going to the game with my daughter to Death Valley...super excited. Will be there with in-laws who are rabid LSU fans. It’s crazy that 10 years have passed since the last time Dawgs were there, and crazier that it will be 2030 before they return!! Heck, I may not be alive then. Got me thinking, I’ve been in favor of a 9 game conference schedule for awhile now. I’m also warming to the idea that we do away with the natural yearly East-West game (UGA-AUB, Bama-TN, LSU-FL) and play everyone cyclically. Also schedule 1 or 2 OOC games but with Power 5 teams only. Would definitely expand playoff to 8 teams so not penalized for playing tougher conference schedule and having 1 or 2 losses. Finally, maybe a 1 or 2 game “preseason” with the directional schools that we pay to get slaughtered at home. Thoughts welcome......

Comments

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've heard rumors of the possibility of playing another team as a scrimmage instead of the G-Day

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

@brentwilson said:
    I've heard rumors of the possibility of playing another team as a scrimmage instead of the G-Day

It'd be interesting if a pair of teams scrimmaged and then met again in the seccg. Actually, lets just remember Auburn 2017-1 as a mid-season scrimmage

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:

@brentwilson said:

It'd be interesting if a pair of teams scrimmaged and then met again in the seccg. Actually, lets just remember Auburn 2017-1 as a mid-season scrimmage

something new Georgia is trying out this season is they're gonna play 12 scrimmages leading up to the SECCG. Something different

• dawgfan301dawgfan301 Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

I would definitely would like to see a 9 game SEC schedule. One to many smaller schoolls on the schedule. AP, Mid TENN, UMASS. UGA has to do better. I know next year looks more promising with ND coming into town. Then 2020 kickoff against VA. Lets get Clemson back on the schedule. I do like the cross conference rivalry games.

• enrique_murillo83enrique_murillo83 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

@RedBlackDawg said:
    I’m going to the game with my daughter to Death Valley...super excited. Will be there with in-laws who are rabid LSU fans. It’s crazy that 10 years have passed since the last time Dawgs were there, and crazier that it will be 2030 before they return!! Heck, I may not be alive then. Got me thinking, I’ve been in favor of a 9 game conference schedule for awhile now. I’m also warming to the idea that we do away with the natural yearly East-West game (UGA-AUB, Bama-TN, LSU-FL) and play everyone cyclically. Also schedule 1 or 2 OOC games but with Power 5 teams only. Would definitely expand playoff to 8 teams so not penalized for playing tougher conference schedule and having 1 or 2 losses. Finally, maybe a 1 or 2 game “preseason” with the directional schools that we pay to get slaughtered at home. Thoughts welcome......

I have been a fan of a 9 game conference schedule for a few years now. Other conferences do it and the SEC is one of the few who don't. I understand why we don't, but to improve our odds in the College Football Playoff, we need to look into it. There have been talks where the SEC has thought about doing it, but something continues to prevent them from going that route. I wouldn't mind doing away with East vs West rivalries in order to play more West teams and not have to wait years before we see them again. I also wouldn't mind getting Georgia Tech off of our schedule and rotate it with other ACC teams.
    If we do away with the Spring game and throw in a cupcake team as G-Day, it is an option we can use, but that will limit the amount of plays we see from the players which will make it harder for the coaches to assess the players. Just my opinion on the matter.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 338 ✭✭✭ Junior

The big argument against a nine-game conference schedule is that one year you have 4 home SEC games and the next year you have five home SEC games. To me, this can be solved by having every team play 4 home games, 4 away games, and one neutral site SEC game.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes I love the idea of the 9 game schedule, but no to getting rid of the permanent cross divisional opponent. To much history in those rivalries. I would be willing to look at it say five years after switching to the 9 game schedule, want to see how that works out. Don't really like the idea of doing away with G day, to valuable for early enrollees to learn the system and getting very valuable reps. Also allows those who can't normally attend a game to attend at no cost.

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty13 said:
    Yes I love the idea of the 9 game schedule, but no to getting rid of the permanent cross divisional opponent. To much history in those rivalries. I would be willing to look at it say five years after switching to the 9 game schedule, want to see how that works out. Don't really like the idea of doing away with G day, to valuable for early enrollees to learn the system and getting very valuable reps. Also allows those who can't normally attend a game to attend at no cost.

Scrimmages can be arranged so that there is an extra "period" for newbies.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah but they are only allocated so much time by the NCAA so the time has to come from somewhere.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@benjaminwgregg said:

@brentwilson said:

If this were to happen, it would most likely be an ACC team, not on that seasons or the nexts schedule (home and home) and close to proximity to save on time and travel costs.

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty13 said:
    Yeah but they are only allocated so much time by the NCAA so the time has to come from somewhere.

I think scrimmages and games (in season) count as two hours (or 3) regardless of how long they take. I think travel may be included in that figure as well.

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 60 ✭ Freshman

@Lefty13 said:

Not so sure of the cross divisional rivalries. Besides Auburn and UGA, is there really that much history? My in laws at LSU think the FL games is not really a true rivalry...they’re too far apart geographically. Bama and TN....don’t think the TN fans would mind not having to get their yearly beat down. I also think Auburn should be in the East and they can have Mizzou (makes more sense geographically), so we can still play them annually. I suppose then the “Iron Bowl” becomes moot, but maybe Auburn fans won’t mind either??

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 60 ✭ Freshman

If you have a nine game schedule, you would play 3 West teams yearly. If a UGA player stays all 4 years, you should be able to visit all SEC West teams at their turf (except for 1) during your college career. I think that would be cool