Let’s Analyze a Second Quarterback In This Class

tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am against it - unless Justin or Jake transfers out. Don’t see either happening. Going for a 3 star or late bloomer at this stage seems unnecessary. Downing seems to be just fine in that 3rd role.

This is what I’ve posted on other platforms:
Why not just go for C.J. DIXON and MAX JOHNSON / ROBBY ASHFORD / JACOLBY CRISWELL / KEN SEALS / MICHAEL ALAIMO in 2020? All of those kids are highly rated, have visited Georgia and are, to various degrees, interested. Seems like, as at running back, there’s much better value in taking more in 2020 than this cycle.

Comments

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like Jeff said, its to help spread throws and drills at practice and take a load off Fromm and Fields so they can focus more on intangibles.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only reason UGA would take a 2nd QB in 2019 class (who is rated 'meh?') would be an expectation that F or F would leave (before 2019 season). Doesn't make sense otherwise. Is another story if a high ranked QB becomes available.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:
    The only reason UGA would take a 2nd QB in 2019 class (who is rated 'meh?') would be an expectation that F or F would leave (before 2019 season). Doesn't make sense otherwise. Is another story if a high ranked QB becomes available.

This is exactly why I posted what I did in the "2nd QB" discussion. Just too many top caliber QB's in the 2020 class.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

@FirePlugDawg said:

Not really. As Sentell posted this comment in another thread on this forum:

Easy call: A major Power 5 program needs at least 4 scholarship QBs for a variety of reasons.

1) UGA has been bringing a PWO QB in Matthew Downing on the 70-man this fall
    2) Insurance in the event of a transfer or injury
    3) Can you say scout team? Making the starters better? See Stetson Bennett IV
    4) There is also the practice reps to consider. You need at least 4-5 QBs to conduct a full practice and drills for all the QBs/TEs/WRs et al. Jake Fromm had to throw a double or triple share of reps during his EE spring practice year because there was no Brice Ramsey in the spring. Stet had also yet to arrrive
    5) That stuff can lead to arm fatigue.

Further expounding on number 2 above, to possibly cover our bases for 2019 in case one of Fields or Fromm pulls a Kelly Bryant and bails 4 games into the season. I think Fromm will stay once Fields overtakes him, especially if Smart continues to rotate both players in the game like now. But it's smart for the team to hedge their bets because they just don't know for certain.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s weird everyone wanted a 3rd 5* QB, last year. But now that we’re back down to two, nobody really wants a 3rd 5* this year.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Additional point-Plumlee has played better this year. His TD/TO ratio is much improved. If his recruitment picks up with non-contenders giving him a better shot to see the field as a QB earlier, these new offers could be a plan B in the event Plumlee makes a decision that gives him a better opportunity.

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greygoose01 said:
    Like Jeff said, its to help spread throws and drills at practice and take a load off Fromm and Fields so they can focus more on intangibles.

Can’t Downing or another PWO fulfill that role?

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Additional point-Plumlee has played better this year. His TD/TO ratio is much improved. If his recruitment picks up with non-contenders giving him a better shot to see the field as a QB earlier, these new offers could be a plan B in the event Plumlee makes a decision that gives him a better opportunity.

True but part of the pull with Plumlee is that we’ll let him play both football and baseball in college. He’ll redshirt in football, learn the system from Day One and compete in year two on the football field. He goes into Day One with the ability to start on the baseball diamond. From what I understand, it’s not an either/or with the second quarterback, but rather a supplementary option

@levander said:
    It’s weird everyone wanted a 3rd 5* QB, last year. But now that we’re back down to two, nobody really wants a 3rd 5* this year.

We’re not in the hunt for a 5 star. The only two five stars are firmly committed to Oklahoma and Auburn.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@greygoose01 said:

Can’t Downing or another PWO fulfill that role?

Just repeating what he said. See quote from him above. I have no dog in this fight. I'll leave that up to the coaches...

@tiger_62082 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

True but part of the pull with Plumlee is that we’ll let him play both football and baseball in college. He’ll redshirt in football, learn the system from Day One and compete in year two on the football field. He goes into Day One with the ability to start on the baseball diamond. From what I understand, it’s not an either/or with the second quarterback, but rather a supplementary option

I have no clue on strategy on second QB. Was just told back up plan for Plumlee.

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

I have no clue on strategy on second QB. Was just told back up plan for Plumlee.

If it’s a backup plan, that’s different than what I’ve heard and read: a second quarterback (supplementary)

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Personally, I don't know that we should be going after any 3* players or "late-bloomers" at this point. Whichever guy you get is probably going to have at least one year as an incumbent starter. I don't want to end up with another Joe Cox year, if you guys know what I'm saying. I like the idea of taking 2 QBs in this class.

Frankly, I think a supplementary QB is a great idea. We're thin at that position. Sure, we're loaded at the top, but we're 1 play away from being 1 play away from a starting Matthew Downing.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Plumlee’s size and skill set reminds me of a 2-Star Dual Threat QB that played at Kent State.

Plumlee seems like a solid candidate to provide legitimate depth at QB and provide a bridge to recruit an Elite QB in 2020.

Plumlee could be a nice Swiss Army addition as a backup QB and might be a good option to hold on kicks. We need to bring in someone who can play and will stay, his versatility creates lots of options.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2006/julian-edelman-15946

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:

We’re not in the hunt for a 5 star. The only two five stars are firmly committed to Oklahoma and Auburn.

So we went down to a low 4* and 3* QB’s? I think Justin knew something about Eason transferring that we didn’t know.

Still amazing depth to have two 5*’s two years in a row.

• NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

@tiger_62082 said:

@levander said:

Just send Dell and Pittman, done deal.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not sure I want two QBs this cycle. But I’ll defer to the staff. Makes me think they don’t like any of the 2020 guys or don’t like their chances if they take two here.

Basically I’m ready for signing day

Did you guys in this thread see this post by Sentell?

It basically explains the pro-2nd QB argument:

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/comment/136193/#Comment_136193

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:

You mean the comment from Sentell I pasted into the 5th comment in this thread? No, haven't seen it...

edited October 12

@RandomFan said:

@levander said:

You mean the comment from Sentell I pasted into the 5th comment in this thread? No, haven't seen it

Ah okay, thanks.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BobcatGrad said:
    Plumlee’s size and skill set reminds me of a 2-Star Dual Threat QB that played at Kent State.

Plumlee seems like a solid candidate to provide legitimate depth at QB and provide a bridge to recruit an Elite QB in 2020.

Plumlee could be a nice Swiss Army addition as a backup QB and might be a good option to hold on kicks. We need to bring in someone who can play and will stay, his versatility creates lots of options.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2006/julian-edelman-15946

That description reminds me of a certain DT QB that ended up being the designated punt faircatcher in previous times...MR isn't even here anymore and he's STILL lost control of QB recruiting!!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaking of second QBs.
    Living near Rome I've heard quite a bit about Rome HS's Knox Kadum, so I decided to watch some video. He's made every one I've found private.
    I may be way off base but this is off putting to me. What is the purpose ? maybe money ?
    He is not exactly in huge demand, you'd think he'd welcome all the exposure he could get.

Looks like it’s official to back up @JeffSentell, Rusty at 247 confirms staff is definitely taking a second QB in 19.

Checking in on 2019 QB target Knox Kadum. Staff told parents “we are definitely taking a second QB this class.” So it is what it is.

https://247sports.com/Player/Knox-Kadum-87008/

Don’t know the official number of the class obviously, but probably going to be one spot available for “best available player” after all targets filled.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Looks like it’s official to back up @JeffSentell, Rusty at 247 confirms staff is definitely taking a second QB in 19.

Checking in on 2019 QB target Knox Kadum. Staff told parents “we are definitely taking a second QB this class.” So it is what it is.

https://247sports.com/Player/Knox-Kadum-87008/

Don’t know the official number of the class obviously, but probably going to be one spot available for “best available player” after all targets filled.

Try playing the linked videos of Kadum from 247 and you'll see what I mean, they are blacked out.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 309 ✭✭✭ Junior

Curious how talented a player you can get in this kind of situation. Being a starter in waiting is one thing, but in many cases if you really have only a little hope of being more than a backup in the SEC why wouldn't you want to go somewhere where you might get more playing time? Are they typically dreamers, or just like the idea of being a QB at UGA? Just curious really.

• 706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 332 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 23

So reading 247, and Rusty believes that a QB will transfer next season. Everyone is speculating which one. Neither one of these moves makes sense to me and I wanted the board’s thoughts.

Fields transfers after year 1, following a recruitment in which he stated he was comfortable not being the starter and Pablo Fields conducted research showing how few QBs drafted started year one? Add in the recruiting connections as he’s linked to most top rated players in 18-19?

Fromm transfers knowing that we’d be playing a QB that’s legitimately a hit away based on style from Fromm returning as a starter?

Help me make sense of this? I can’t imagine seeing Fields leave without a legit shot and can’t imagine Fromm leaving simply because he’s a DSGB to his core.

@706Dawg said:
    So reading 247, and Rusty believes that a QB will transfer next season. Everyone is speculating which one. Neither one of these moves makes sense to me and I wanted the board’s thoughts.

Fields transfers after year 1, following a recruitment in which he stated he was comfortable not being the starter and Pablo Fields conducted research showing how few QBs drafted started year one? Add in the recruiting connections as he’s linked to most top rated players in 18-19?

Fromm transfers knowing that we’d be playing a QB that’s legitimately a hit away based on style from Fromm returning as a starter?

Help me make sense of this? I can’t imagine seeing Fields leave without a legit shot and can’t imagine Fromm leaving simply because he’s a DSGB to his core.

Did he mean after the 2019 season? BC that would make more sense. I agree with all your points here though

@Kasey said:

@706Dawg said:

Did he mean after the 2019 season? BC that would make more sense. I agree with all your points here though

No. Before start of 19, essentially end of spring-summer.

@706Dawg said:

@Kasey said:

@706Dawg said:

Weird...wonder where this kind of stuff comes from

U> @Kasey said:

@706Dawg said:

@Kasey said:

@706Dawg said:

Weird...wonder where this kind of stuff comes from

Normally I think ignoring is proper course but when it comes from a paid mod, eyebrows raise. He was clear to say it’s just his thoughts but makes you wonder what’s he’s heard that he can’t put out.