Deandre Baker vs Greedy Williams

DawgFan2008DawgFan2008 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore

Well I guess I haven't watched enough LSU games to say much about Greedy. Article for ESPN (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24951823/greedy-williams-lsu-tigers-latest-great-defensive-back) seems to think he is best DB in country. We will see. LSU db's 2-5 and their outside OLB's still have to play as well . That's why having Baker, Campbell , Reed and Lacounte makes me feel good.

Comments

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great name for a DB, but we'll see.

It's not our DB against theirs, but, well, you know...

Go, Dawgs!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Andraez Williams gave himself the ''Greedy'' moniker last season. Physically he's a lot like Tyson Campbell, but Baker is a more complete DB in my opinion.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, our DBs have faced Lock, Brantley, and Shurmur and shut them all down.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Greedy knows how to brand himself. DB is a better all-around DB. And so we shall see. Marketing versus reality.

@kelly_b said:
    Greedy knows how to brand himself. DB is a better all-around DB. And so we shall see. Marketing versus reality.

Williams can play, he's not just hype by any means.
    I do think Baker is the better football player though.
    Hype sells in The NFL too though, so don't be surprised if Williams' act gets him attention there as well.
    Richard Sherman has made a fortune with shameless self promotion.
    I've seen the guy literally walk into places where teammates were being praised on camera just to steal their air time.

• josh31533josh31533 Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gave himself the moniker? Really? Real question, not being a [email protected] Does a nickname like Greedy really count if you claimed it yourself? Were the Bailey brothers sitting around one day and just decided “from now on I want to be known as Champ. Sounds good little brother, I’m gonna be known as Boss.”

I think from now on, I will be known as “Awesome Josh”

@josh31533 said:
    Gave himself the moniker? Really? Real question, not being a [email protected] Does a nickname like Greedy really count if you claimed it yourself? Were the Bailey brothers sitting around one day and just decided “from now on I want to be known as Champ. Sounds good little brother, I’m gonna be known as Boss.”

Apparently he is getting everybody on board with his informal change of name.
    It's really been a long standing courtesy to call people by their chosen moniker.

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

If you read the ESPN story, his aunt gave the nickname to him when he was a baby because he didn't want to give his bottle up and he's been called it his whole life by his family. I wouldn't exactly call that he gave himself the nickname.

edited October 11

@ftn49 said:
    If you read the ESPN story, his aunt gave the nickname to him when he was a baby because he didn't want to give his bottle up and he's been called it his whole life by his family. I wouldn't exactly call that he gave himself the nickname.

@ftn49 said:

Ok, I know he wasn't listed as Greedy till late last year.
    There's no mention of the nickname in either his 247 recruit profile or his Rivals recruiting profile. Since it seems very unlikely a family member contacted LSU's AD, it seems either teammates or Williams decided to have him listed that way.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@josh31533 said:

And so, AJ, it will be so!

• josh31533josh31533 Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 11

@WCDawg said:

@ftn49 said:

@ftn49 said:

There's no mention of the nickname in either his 247 recruit profile or his Rivals recruiting profile. Since it seems very unlikely a family member contacted LSU's AD, it seems either teammates or Williams decided to have him listed that way.

I figured it must’ve been a family member had given him a nickname years ago, and that said nickname came out later. Certainly not taking a jab at you @WCDawg, and apologies if you thought I was. The first thing I thought when I read your post was “did this dude really give himself a nickname like greedy? Like he wants every ball so he’s greedy?”

@josh31533 said:

@WCDawg said:

@ftn49 said:

@ftn49 said:

I figured it must’ve been a family member had given him a nickname years ago, and that said nickname came out later. Certainly not taking a jab at you @WCDawg, and apologies if you thought I was. The first thing I thought when I read your post was “did this dude really give himself a nickname like greedy? Like he wants every ball so he’s greedy?”

It still isn't clear why media and LSU started using his supposed childhood nickname.
    Did somebody in his family orchestrate it ? Was it the LSU AD ?
    It still seems more likely it was Greedy who made the move, whether he made it up or it came from his childhood is another question.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like one of LSU's biggest targets will be out for this game. Dee Anderson. One less for the secondary to worry about.