2017 Attrition

KaseyKasey Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Because I'm bored I'm throwing this post up. This is a list of our 2017 recruiting class. The SAVAGES. Kirby's full first class. Plenty can change between now and ESD but we are 1.5 years into their careers so we have an idea about who may or may not be moving on. I'm not going to speculate, but if someone else wants to...have at it.

Isaiah Wilson, OT, RFreshman--Starter

Richard LeCounte III, S, Sophomore--Starter

D'Andre Swift, RB, Sophomore--Starter (for the most part)

Jake Fromm, QB, Sophomore--Starter (ALTHOUGH HE SHOULD TRANSFER BECAUSE HE SUCKS AND HE LOST ONE GAME ON THE ROAD AND TOOK SACKS AND HAS COMPLETELY FORGOT HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL)

Andrew Thomas, OT, Sophomore--Starter

Deangelo Gibbs, DB, Sophomore--I saw him on the sidelines at the LSU game, was in the dog house but seems to be doing all the right things. I think whatever happened last year stunted his growth. Will be someone to watch with a full spring camp.

Netori Johnson, OG, RFreshman--not even sure he's on the two deep

Robert Beal, OLB, RFreshman--Saw some game action Saturday. Many on this board were toe-tagging his career this offseason, but looks to be making an impact.

JJ Holloman, WR, Sophomore--Showing some flashes. Getting plenty of PT

Mark Webb, DB, Sophomore--Position switch, seemingly in the DB rotation. Pretty good considering he made the position switch midstream last summer.

Jaden Hunter, OLB, RFreshman--On the scout team. Really want this kid to break through but hasn't happened yet.

Tray Bishop, S, RFreshman--Having some off field issues. Giving him an incomplete for the time being.

Malik Herring, DE, Sophomore--I see him in the rotation, but haven't seen him make many big plays as of yet.

Nate McBride, ILB, Sophomore--Fixture on special teams. Not in the ILB rotation, but still seeing action which is more than some can say.

William Poole III, DB, Sophomore--Seen some playing time. Was having a good spring. Been in a couple games here and there.

Walter Grant, OLB, Sophomore--Starter mostly

D'Marcus Hayes, OT, RJunior--Still hasn't cracked the two-deep

Trey Blount, WR, Sophomore--Plays a bunch on special teams

Monty Rice, ILB, Sophomore--Starter

Ameer Speed, CB, Sophomore--Another one who I haven't heard much from. May be too tall for the position.

Justin Shaffer, OG, Sophomore--Is on the 2-deep

Latavious Brini, DB, RFreshman--Haven't seen him or heard much about him

Eric Stokes, DB, RFreshman--Had a great game against Mizzou, seems in the rotation

Matt Landers, WR, RFreshman--Another one I haven't heard much about

Comments

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great job and I think this class will leave Georgia with a Natty. Some people are saying 2020 and I'm calling B.S. on that. I think 2019 is our year Bama and Tua b damned.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Great job and I think this class will leave Georgia with a Natty. Some people are saying 2020 and I'm calling B.S. on that. I think 2019 is our year Bama and Tua b damned.

Next year all these guys will be juniors and that 2016 class will be seniors and very experienced. I like our chances especially if we pull a top 2 class in 2019

• NYCVolunteerNYCVolunteer Posts: 186 ✭ Freshman

Test.

• Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

Out of that group I can recognize roughly a dozen guys on the field regularly. Not including special teams. Most of those without seeing their number. Is that good , bad, or average?

@MeR3htid said:

Next year all these guys will be juniors and that 2016 class will be seniors and very experienced. I like our chances especially if we pull a top 2 class in 2019

• donmdonm Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd say better than average.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Again GREAT job and 1 last thing on this I'll return to October 19, 2018. Now a lot of this is based on the admittedly BASELESS assumption that all draft eligible underclassmen return to finish the job that DGDs like Nick Chubb, Sony Michel and Roquan Smith started. But Mecole Hardman, Isaac Nauta, Charlie Woerner, Elijah Holyfield, Tyler Clark J.R. Reed, BIG BEN CLEVELAND, Solomon Kindley, Julian Rochester (He may not have much of a choice but to return. Well he does but I hope he sees how well that worked out for Trenton Thompson) Anyway that's 9 guys, I'm sorry 10 guys, as I forgot D-Rob, not even counting Herrien (I think he's gone whether he thinks he'll be drafted or not) who could very conceivably hear there names called in April's 2019 NFL draft. Now, Zamir White WILL FULLY RECOVER (Fingers crossed admittedly but still gotta put on the Brave face) from his second torn ACL and team up with Holyfield, Swift, Cook and J.E.J. to put the fear of GOD in rival defensive coordinators. Mecole Hardman, Isaac Nauta, Charlie Woerner, Demetrius Roberson, Oh, here's another one (Potential draftee) Riley Ridley, JJ Holloman, and we could certainly go on about targets for Jake Fields or Justin Fromm (Man I am a mess) Now we haven't even mentioned an O Line that should be top 3 in the nation. A secondary that could also b top 3 in the nation. A top 10 (Gotta c what Trey Scott does with that D line)and I will say top 5 defense. I think Rodrigo Blankenship is back and our young gifted Punter Jake Camarda will be back. CKS has staff continuity and is about to bring in AT LEAST another to 3 class. Haven't even mentioned the OBSCENE amount of talent at linebacker (Especially OLB) with Nolan Smith and the JUCO guy Johnson. Now I don't know who the QB is gonna b but whether it's Fromm or Fields or both (doubt it though) they're gonna b piloting no less than a preseason #2 team and the only reason they won't b #1 is because of U KNOW WHO. But I'll tell you this. THESE NEXT 2 seasons 2019 AND 2020 r gonna be Championship or BUST for the Dawgs and I love their chances to win Georgia's 1st National Championship in about 40 years. GO DAWGS!!!!!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nate McBride is my biggest surprise...er, not quite disappointment. I figured he'd be more of a presence on the D. Especially with the departure of Roquan.

But very nice post. That's a dang fine class in all, almost all of them are major contributors.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good work, impressive class and great for next year

Bringing this back now that the regular season is over and ESD is fast approaching. I think this class will see some heavy attrition in the next 3-6 months.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Shaffer’s stays because as this year proved we can never have too many lineman especially on the interior. He did play minutes when guys went out hurt before Salyer.

Landers stays around another year.

Speed has been hurt this year definitely will be in play for that short corner side next year. I believe the injury was shoulder.

Poole has been in the star role mostly. I think we will see him on the field more next with the attrition of secondary as guys are graduating.

My real question is Wilson. Would he leave in 19 if Thomas goes or does he stay to prove he can play left tackle.

Also thought on Thomas. He does have a high focus on academics do you think he stays to finish degree. Granted I know he can come back but it never hurts to go ahead and finish. Also 4 year starter in the sec that is coached by Pittman is what I call a 1st round pick for sure.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 196 ✭✭✭ Junior

Of all these guys I can't wait to see Gibbs get to the field with consistent PT. Should Reed depart I would think he's got a chance to run with the ones at his safety spot and finally showcase why he was a 5 star.

I liked what I saw from Beal this year and am happy he started to come around.
    Herring should ascend to day 1 starter next year.

Agree on Stokes that kid looks like our next lockdown corner. I'm hoping he and his classmates continue to push T. Campbell to improve. If so the secondary will be scary.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    So let me do some quick hitting updates since I started this thread...

Isaiah Wilson--starter, probably leaving after 2019

Richard LeCounte III--starter, probably staying all 4 years. Wants to win that Natty

D'Andre Swift--starter, leaving after 2019

Jake Fromm--starter, seemed to bounce back after a bad game...what do you guys think?

Andrew Thomas--starter, probably leaving after 2019

Deangelo Gibbs--who knows? didn't play a ton down the stretch but from reading this board sounds like he's sticking

Netori Johnson--position change or school change

Robert Beal--playing, could see him leave after RS Junior year

JJ Holloman--starter next year, could leave after 2019 with the right kind of season

Mark Webb--In the DB mix...sticking around. only can get better, first full season in the DB room

Jaden Hunter--gotta be gone. Hate it bc the story is there, but is what it is

Tray Bishop--thinking he is gone

Malik Herring--really came on at the end, I see him having a great season next year

Nate McBride--thinking he is gone

William Poole III--no clue, but didn't see much of him down the stretch

Walter Grant--I think he was dinged up and it affected his performance, wanna see how he looks this spring

D'Marcus Hayes--gotta be a grad transfer to a smaller school or some place that needs immediate OL help

Trey Blount--think he stays, maybe takes a step up like Tyler Simmons and Jayson Stanley did this year

Monty Rice--starter, most indispensable ILB at this point

Ameer Speed--I think he was hurt this year. Either sticking around or moving on depending on who we bring in

Justin Shaffer--Honestly, him not playing ahead of Mays, Trey Hill, and Jamaree should be telling

Latavious Brini--thinking he is gone

Eric Stokes--Starting to look like the second coming of Deandre Baker w/r/t low rated, high ceiling CB. Elite CB height

Matt Landers--thinking he is gone...Tommy Bush does all what he does but faster and younger.

thoughts?

Great job Kasey. I am glad to see the Herring upgrade and was going to offer the same opinion cf the original. I am a 2020 man (certainly not ruling out a Natty 2019) as I feel that the class of 2018 was even better than the 2017 overall. The contributions of the true freshmen was outstanding this year especially Cox, Anderson, Tindall and Reese will give us a strong defense in 2019 but more so in 2020 to go with a generational offensive line.

• YK_DAWG24YK_DAWG24 Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:

I really appreciate @Kasey with this post on the 2017 class. I think this is my off season soapbox. First of all, I acknowledge that these guys are young, just sophomores and redshirt freshmen. I think the lack of talent on team (before they were recruited) was overblown because of 8-5 season. When they got to Athens, they were expected to start right away but with the exception of Andrew Thomas (who was a pleasant surprise) they were met with a talented group of hungry upper classmen and seniors. Think about it, if Eason didn't get hurt, Thomas would of been the only freshmen starter. Then comes the following season, we expect them to make the jump and get pt, and many of them do. But the troubling part is when they are getting looked over by a new group of freshmen. I think it's too early for them to transfer cuz it's really your junior year that you make real noise but some these guys need to step up. Kirby said it in the spring that he was disappointed in some of them because of the amount of reps they had last year and he didn't see the growth. Well hopefully we see the growth because if we keep on getting talented freshman to take over not as talented sophomores we wont reach our goals of RINGS on top of RINGS on top of.... you get the point. Go DAWGS

All true...although some of these men see the field more than others. I think it will all shake out once spring camp comes and goes

• BigDawg96BigDawg96 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Kasey said:
    So let me do some quick hitting updates since I started this thread...

Isaiah Wilson--starter, probably leaving after 2019

Richard LeCounte III--starter, probably staying all 4 years. Wants to win that Natty

D'Andre Swift--starter, leaving after 2019

Jake Fromm--starter, seemed to bounce back after a bad game...what do you guys think?

Andrew Thomas--starter, probably leaving after 2019

Deangelo Gibbs--who knows? didn't play a ton down the stretch but from reading this board sounds like he's sticking

Netori Johnson--position change or school change

Robert Beal--playing, could see him leave after RS Junior year

JJ Holloman--starter next year, could leave after 2019 with the right kind of season

Mark Webb--In the DB mix...sticking around. only can get better, first full season in the DB room

Jaden Hunter--gotta be gone. Hate it bc the story is there, but is what it is

Tray Bishop--thinking he is gone

Malik Herring--really came on at the end, I see him having a great season next year

Nate McBride--thinking he is gone

William Poole III--no clue, but didn't see much of him down the stretch

Walter Grant--I think he was dinged up and it affected his performance, wanna see how he looks this spring

D'Marcus Hayes--gotta be a grad transfer to a smaller school or some place that needs immediate OL help

Trey Blount--think he stays, maybe takes a step up like Tyler Simmons and Jayson Stanley did this year

Monty Rice--starter, most indispensable ILB at this point

Ameer Speed--I think he was hurt this year. Either sticking around or moving on depending on who we bring in

Justin Shaffer--Honestly, him not playing ahead of Mays, Trey Hill, and Jamaree should be telling

Latavious Brini--thinking he is gone

Eric Stokes--Starting to look like the second coming of Deandre Baker w/r/t low rated, high ceiling CB. Elite CB height

Matt Landers--thinking he is gone...Tommy Bush does all what he does but faster and younger.

thoughts?

Agree with most of this. Deangelo Gibbs may be the sleeper here. Has all SEC potential but will he put it together? Hearing that he has gotten his head right which is what appears to have been holding him back. Expect a big buzz about him in the spring as long as he stays off lists.

Natori Johnson may be kirbys/pittmans biggest recruiting miss to date. We fought hard to get kid from bama and has been complete bust. freaky athlete at his size but for a big man he is just not strong. Also does not fit height/girth we are recruiting at OL.

Robert beal is going to break out next year. Could be our next really good edge rusher. (think leonard floyd athleticism but a bit less lanky/ more power).

JJ Holloman could be a first/second round draft pick with a good year next year. red zone threat. watch him get vertical on those fades and then extend and high point ball. NFL will love that

We targeted Gibbs over Mckinney that year and he's balling over there in Bama. Same can be said for Patrick Surtain vs Campbell. Talent for talent, pound for pound I'm taking our guys over there's. I just wish that they show out. Our players don't get the stats like others in different schools. But we're equally or more talented.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YK_DAWG24 said:
    We targeted Gibbs over Mckinney that year and he's balling over there in Bama. Same can be said for Patrick Surtain vs Campbell. Talent for talent, pound for pound I'm taking our guys over there's. I just wish that they show out. Our players don't get the stats like others in different schools. But we're equally or more talented.

McKinney commited to Bama early in the process. We tried to get back in but couldn’t. Bama was still also pursuing Gibbs to, but we won out.

Same for Campbell and Surtain, Bama got Surtain but was still very much after Campbell until the end.

I agree that talent wise we are right there with them.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good Lord, you can't win them all.

• Sparky_DAWGSparky_DAWG Posts: 129 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey just want you to know your subtle, sprinkled-in sarcasm does not go unnoticed or unappreciated! At least once a night, I have to explain to my wife why I’m laughing (she never gets it because she isn’t a fan of the good guys and doesn’t read this board). Thank you for providing your entertaining, humorous commentary!

I know it’s off topic, sue me...

@Sparky_DAWG said:
    @Kasey just want you to know your subtle, sprinkled-in sarcasm does not go unnoticed or unappreciated! At least once a night, I have to explain to my wife why I’m laughing (she never gets it because she isn’t a fan of the good guys and doesn’t read this board). Thank you for providing your entertaining, humorous commentary!

I know it’s off topic, sue me...

Hah, thanks for noticing as Eeyore would say

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

McKinney commited to Bama early in the process. We tried to get back in but couldn’t. Bama was still also pursuing Gibbs to, but we won out.

Same for Campbell and Surtain, Bama got Surtain but was still very much after Campbell until the end.

Mckinney and Gibbs both committed on the same day at the all American game. Also the same with both surtain and Campbell, they committed on nsd.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 196 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg96 said:
    JJ Holloman could be a first/second round draft pick with a good year next year. red zone threat. watch him get vertical on those fades and then extend and high point ball. NFL will love that

In addition to being one of the best blocking WRs I've ever seen. He mauls DBs at point of attack. Comes back inside and will lay wood to Backers and Lineman alike. It feels like he's been at the point of attack for multiple long runs every game.
    I think Holloman is the best pro prospect at WR on the team.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YK_DAWG24 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@YK_DAWG24 said:

Mckinney and Gibbs both committed on the same day at the all American game. Also the same with both surtain and Campbell, they committed on nsd.

You are correct, I should have said the two Bama guys were strong leans (even possibly silents) to Bama for awhile during the recruiting process.

Going ahead and bumping this one too as more names enter the portal (someone should trademark that)