2016 Attrition

KaseyKasey Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bored again. Thought I'd throw this up here. Plenty of attrition in this class so far and could see more along the grad transfer route. These men will be seniors and redshirt juniors this time next year and I'll be curious how their leadership develops. I'll also throw in whether or not I think they'll matriculate to the NFL after this season.

Mecole Hardman--ATH--Starter--Can't see him going to the NFL this year unless he really comes on in the back half. He is fast, but so is everyone else in the NFL

Isaac Nauta--TE--Starter--Seems to be coming into his own this year. Could see him making the jump to the NFL, but probably wouldn't be taken high unless he balls out the remainder of the year.

Julian Rochester--DL--Starter (?)--Not sure if he's a starter, but he plays a bunch. Most likely returning for his senior season.

Ben Cleveland--OG--Starter--Was coming into his own at the end of last year. Kept his starting job. Down with an injury but should be back in a few weeks. Doubt he jumps for the NFL, especially with the injury.

Michail Carter--DL--Never hear about this guy. I assume he's playing but I never hear his name called.

Charlie Woerner--TE--Plays a bunch. Will be back for senior season. Could be a monster next year. I think he has a bright future in the NFL.

Elijah Holyfield--RB--Starter. Will probably be back for his senior year unless he kills it with the time he has left this year. Can't see him going higher than 2/3rd round...sometimes that's enough for guys to jump. Obviously doesn't need the $ like some, but may want to stop going to class.

Riley Ridley--WR--Starter. I feel as though he's about to break out big time. Might need to come back for that senior year.

Tyler Clark--DL--Starter--Best d-line prospect in this class. Could make the jump the the pros.

Tyler Simmons--WR--Great on special teams. Got great speed. Another guy I have a feeling will eventually break through.

David Marshall--DE--Not a starter but plays plenty of snaps. Currently injured. I think he could be a freak of nature next year but that may just be me.

Tyrique McGee--DB--Swiss army knife. Plays all over. Good, but not good enough to jump early to NFL.

Brian Herrien--RB--Done quite a bit with what's been given to him. Sometimes he looks like he could be the man, other times he seems tentative hitting the hole. Have to think he will be back for senior season.

Solomon Kindley--OG--Starter--Solid but not spectacular. Can't see him jumping but he is a valuable piece on the OL. Seemed like he was in the two deep in 2016 but didn't get on the field. Broke Coach Smart's float.

Marshall Long--P--One would think he is moving on. Camarda blocking him, injury history, and whatnot. Although I thought he would've transferred already, he's still on the team.

Guys already gone: Jacob Eason (has @Eason4Heisman switched to the Huskies board?), Chauncy Manac, Jaleel Laguins, Chad Clay, Chris Barnes, Javon Wims (graduated). None of the transfers outside of Eason have gone to power 5 schools. Not bad production for a class that ranked 4th in the SEC.

Comments

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder who all we lose from this list after this season to the draft? I feel the only realistic options would be Holyfield and Nauta on the list. At most we should only lose 3 current starters (Lamont included) on the entire offense come next season

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    I wonder who all we lose from this list after this season to the draft? I feel the only realistic options would be Holyfield and Nauta on the list. At most we should only lose 3 current starters (Lamont included) on the entire offense come next season

I tend to agree...as of today no one screams out early departure. But if some of these guys really cut loose and put up some stats, they could be tempted. If somehow we sneak into the playoffs on account of guys like Tyler Clark, JR Reed, or Riley Ridley then you could see those guys go (and the coaches telling them to also)

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I tend to agree...as of today no one screams out early departure. But if some of these guys really cut loose and put up some stats, they could be tempted. If somehow we sneak into the playoffs on account of guys like Tyler Clark, JR Reed, or Riley Ridley then you could see those guys go (and the coaches telling them to also)

Its only Kirbys 3rd season and we could see 10 of 11 guys on the offense come back for next year

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@Kasey said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Its only Kirbys 3rd season and we could see 10 of 11 guys on the offense come back for next year

Yea that’s pretty good. My only fear is it’s Lamont who may be our best overall lineman. Hoping Trey Hill (or whoever) is ready

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just of note for your list Michail Carter plays in the 2 deep in rotation on the defensive line. He is 76. Just thought i would help you out. This whole class that remains is productive which is what we want

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby ain't gonna b pushing no QUALITY D Linemen out the door. Oooh! Nooo!

Lost Ridley, Mecole, Nauta, and Holyfield. This class gets smaller. Going to be interesting to see who steps up into leadership with this class

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

I gotta hope it's Simmons and Herrien on offense, especially considering how much production we're losing at RB and WR.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Lost Ridley, Mecole, Nauta, and Holyfield. This class gets smaller. Going to be interesting to see who steps up into leadership with this class

Would be interesting to do a little research, but I think Bama has very similar attrition to this. Bama does seem to keep juniors who aren't 1-3 round draft choices. I think it would have been nice to see
    Mecole and Nauta stay another year. Should be drafted but hope we don't have another Tristen situation because that is just a waste for all involved.

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Would be interesting to do a little research, but I think Bama has very similar attrition to this. Bama does seem to keep juniors who aren't 1-3 round draft choices. I think it would have been nice to see
    Mecole and Nauta stay another year. Should be drafted but hope we don't have another Tristen situation because that is just a waste for all involved.

Because I'm bored today...

Ben Davis--LB--Looking like their version of Deangelo Gibbs. Have not heard word one about this former 5 star
    Mack Wilson--LB--I hate this MF, but he's a player, probably going pro
    Jonah Williams--OT--Starter, going pro
    BJ Emmons--RB--transferred
    Nigel Knott--CB--Never heard of him
    Terrell Lewis--WDE--I think he's a player...feel like I've heard this name
    Shyheim Carter, SR.--DB--In their rotation, doubt he's leaving early though
    Raekwon Davis--DT--Starter, going pro would be my guess
    Charles Baldwin--OT--transferred
    Trevon Diggs--ATH--starter, injured earlier
    Jared Mayden--CB--haven't heard of this kid
    Quinnen Williams--DT--top 5 pick so obviously going pro
    Deonte Brown--OG--starter, one of the suspended players
    Chris Owens--OG--uh I think he's a starter
    Jalen Hurts--QB--had some success I think, but is in the portal to transfer
    Scott Lashley--OT--haven't heard his name
    TJ Simmons--WR--transferred
    Miller Forristal--TE--still on the team, but don't know if he plays
    Josh Jacobs--RB--contributes, not the starter
    Jamar King--SDE--never heard of him
    Irv Smith--TE--starter, could go pro
    Aaron Robinson--CB--transferred
    Shawn Jennings--ATH--transferred
    Joe Donald--OLB--says he's on the team, I've never heard of him

So we have 6 (counting Jalen) transfers, 6 possible going pro

We have similar amount transferred, they have a few more going pro which would make sense considering this was the number one ranked class in the nation. @texdawg you can feel free to add your smart coach analysis to this breakdown

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Ben Davis--LB--Looking like their version of Deangelo Gibbs. Have not heard word one about this former 5 star

We have similar amount transferred, they have a few more going pro which would make sense considering this was the number one ranked class in the nation. @texdawg you can feel free to add your smart coach analysis to this breakdown

Josh Jacobs is going pro.

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Josh Jacobs is going pro.

Thanks...I wanted to do some research, but not too much you know ;)

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Not really my area of expertise but great breakdown (I really don't have an area of expertise). I just think it shows that when you recruit 20- 26 elite players year after year there has to be a lot of attrition. Graduation/draft, early entry, injury or transfer. I think it's safe to assume 40-50% won't see year 4.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter if a program signs mainly 4/5s or 3/4s or whatever - attrition has to happen.

Clemson is an interesting study because they do not tend to sign a full class annually. Don't intend for you to research them. Grateful for the time you spent on Bama. Good stuff.

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Not really my area of expertise but great breakdown (I really don't have an area of expertise). I just think it shows that when you recruit 20- 26 elite players year after year there has to be a lot of attrition. Graduation/draft, early entry, injury or transfer. I think it's safe to assume 40-50% won't see year 4.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter if a program signs mainly 4/5s or 3/4s or whatever - attrition has to happen.

Clemson is an interesting study because they do not tend to sign a full class annually. Don't intend for you to research them. Grateful for the time you spent on Bama. Good stuff.

Might do it later if I get bored

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2016 signees still on the roster at the end of 2018. Leadership candidates in bold. Corrections or comments welcome.

Julian Rochester
    Ben Cleveland
    Michail Carter
    Charlie Woerner
    Tyler Clark
    Tyler Simmons
    David Marshall
    Tyrique McGhee
    Brian Herrien
    Solomon Kindley
    Marshall Long
    Josh Moran

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tyler Clark seemed to have a disappointing year based on how he was dominant in the Rose Bowl. I wonder why the drop off

@Dawgy_Fresh said:
    Tyler Clark seemed to have a disappointing year based on how he was dominant in the Rose Bowl. I wonder why the drop off

Same here. I had him listed as a player to watch this season and he disappeared. I debated whether to bold him on the list.

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

Really had more to do with the type of defense they played this year. Needed to protect the LBs this year because there was such a drop off from last year.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg said:

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

Really had more to do with the type of defense they played this year. Needed to protect the LBs this year because there was such a drop off from last year.

I agree. @texdawg had a great post detailing this.

With a years experience under their belts, I’d expect the DL and ILB play to improve next season.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@texdawg said:

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

With a years experience under their belts, I’d expect the DL and ILB play to improve next season.

Makes my mouth water knowing our DL should be backed better next season

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@texdawg said:

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

Mike and Will positions have to get better, which we all believe will happen. But UGA has stacked up an incredible amount of talent on the edges. There may be a team with a better edge player than what UGA has - but no school - not Bama, not Clemson and not Ohio State have the number of edge players that we will have. We have run stoppers, pass rushers and everything in between. We may have 4-6 top NFL prospects at OLB and DE.

You're getting me into a lather! When is kickoff?

@AnotherDawg said:

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@texdawg said:

@Dawgy_Fresh said:

Mike and Will positions have to get better, which we all believe will happen. But UGA has stacked up an incredible amount of talent on the edges. There may be a team with a better edge player than what UGA has - but no school - not Bama, not Clemson and not Ohio State have the number of edge players that we will have. We have run stoppers, pass rushers and everything in between. We may have 4-6 top NFL prospects at OLB and DE.

You're getting me into a lather! When is kickoff?

How about this: Anderson, Beal, Cox, Herring, Grant, Marshall, Ojulari, Jermaine Johnson, Nolan Smith, Bill Norton.

I don't care what anyone says - that's special

Ok @texdawg here's the Clemson 2016 recruiting class. They ranked # 11 in the nation, # 2 in the ACC

Dexter Lawrence--DT--seemed ok, going pro
    Tavien Feaster--RB--seems like he was passed by by Etienne
    Tre Lamar--ILB--never heard of him, but he declared today
    Trayvon Mullen--CB--starter, declared today
    Shaq Smith--ILB--on the team (third team)
    Xavier Kelly--WDE--looks like he redshirted (3rd team DE)
    John Simpson--OG--starter
    Cornell Powell--WR--second team
    Diondre Overton--WR--second team
    TJ Chase--WR--Third team with Dabo's kid
    Zerrick Cooper--QB--don't see him listed on the roster
    Sean Pollard--OT--starter at Guard
    Nyles Pinckney--DT--second team DL
    Isaiah Simmons--S--listed on the roster, but not the depth chart
    Tremayne Anchrum--OG--starter at RT
    JC Chalk--TE--second team
    Jamie Skalski--OLB--third team
    Chandler Reeves--OT--second team
    K'Von Wallace--S--Starter
    Cade Stewart--OT--backup
    Matthew Ryan--DT--don't see him listed on the roster

3 have declared. Looks like none of these guys have transferred although some are not listed on the current roster. Admittedly this is a cursory researching, but it looks like Clemson keeps and develops the kids more than other programs. I don't know how they do it, but whoever it is, it works. Dabo has found a way to do it the Richt way and win. Whodathunk it?

@Kasey said:
    Ok @texdawg here's the Clemson 2016 recruiting class. They ranked # 11 in the nation, # 2 in the ACC

Cade Stewart--OT--backup

3 have declared. Looks like none of these guys have transferred although some are not listed on the current roster. Admittedly this is a cursory researching, but it looks like Clemson keeps and develops the kids more than other programs. I don't know how they do it, but whoever it is, it works. Dabo has found a way to do it the Richt way and win. Whodathunk it?

Man, thanks. Great work. I think it shows there are more ways to skin a cat - but Clemson's way could eventually help them win more recruiting battles than they already do. Dabo just seems like a quality guy.

I believe Tre Lamar was one of their starting LBs and I believe he is from Gwinnett co, or at least the Atlanta area. But I could be wrong

@texdawg said:

@Kasey said:

Cade Stewart--OT--backup

Man, thanks. Great work. I think it shows there are more ways to skin a cat - but Clemson's way could eventually help them win more recruiting battles than they already do. Dabo just seems like a quality guy.

I believe Tre Lamar was one of their starting LBs and I believe he is from Gwinnett co, or at least the Atlanta area. But I could be wrong

Roswell

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,759 admin

@AnotherDawg said:
    2016 signees still on the roster at the end of 2018. Leadership candidates in bold. Corrections or comments welcome.

Julian Rochester
    Ben Cleveland
    Michail Carter
    Charlie Woerner
    Tyler Clark
    Tyler Simmons
    David Marshall
    Tyrique McGhee
    Brian Herrien
    Solomon Kindley
    Marshall Long
    Josh Moran

Moran was not a signee. P-WO. The 247page for that class still has him stuck there as part of the class.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Elijah Holyfield isn’t in the financial situation you might imagine. According to Forbes, Evander now has a net worth of less than $500k, after earning $513 million in his career. He is one of 11 children of the Real Deal.