Uuuuuuuuge Win For The Dawgs!

A week and a half ago I wrote a long post on the importance of this game regarding long term ramifications and perceptions. I thought this game was so important I couldn't watch it live, because of a serious case of bad vibes. When I came out of the man cave at 7:30pm to see if it was safe to come downstairs I was pleasantly surprised to see a big smile on my wife's face. That smile told me we had won. I grabbed a plate of food and hurried back upstairs to watch the game, knowing a heart attack wasn't likely!

What I saw was the redemption of Jake Fromm, a resilient offensive line that did a better job of protecting the QB and an offensive strategy that speaks to the real identity of this team. I also saw a defense that needs a lot of work, but did enough to make things hard on Franks. We have serious issues at ILB that can only be remedied by great recruiting. The one bright spot on our DL is Jordan Davis who got his first start as a Bulldog and immediately made a positive impact. That group could also use great recruiting and some guys to step-up and put their man pants on.

This is a young team with a long way to go, but yesterday's victory answered a lot of questions coming out of the LSU loss. The entire team got better, including the coaching staff... at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Comments

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I watched him some on Saturday. He got my attention when he started. This kid packs a punch. He was knocking the UF linemen back a yard or so on initial contact. I was never a lineman, but if he can use the momentum and recoil and shuck the block he is going to be a monster.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I remember hearing about the weightlifting feats, and then I saw him in a game (MTSU, I think). I couldn’t believe how huge he was. If he can draw two blockers, that will help the run D.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BengalDawg said:
    Davis could be a John Atkins type presence that allows ILBs to run free and make tackles. IMO Atkins was one of the biggest losses from last year

I think he’s better. He can actually get a push and move.

Atkins was great at his one job. Being a telephone pole.

He was never moved off the ball and never moved from his gap assignment. He also never took a single step toward a QB or chased down a play from the back side.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Raiderbeater1 said:

@BengalDawg said:
    Davis could be a John Atkins type presence that allows ILBs to run free and make tackles. IMO Atkins was one of the biggest losses from last year

I think he’s better. He can actually get a push and move.

Atkins was great at his one job. Being a telephone pole.

He was never moved off the ball and never moved from his gap assignment. He also never took a single step toward a QB or chased down a play from the back side.

Plus, starting in Jax as a Freshman—especially with the amount of talent this team has—-marks him as having serious potential imo. How many kids started in Jax as freshmen in the past and didn’t go on to accomplished careers at UGA?

• JMFDJMFD Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Raiderbeater1 said:
    You can doubt me if you want, but I saw Jordan Davis coming.

When they signed him everyone was all over Sandidge and wanting to dump Davis for him if we had to. Davis never wavered, signed and was 100% dawg. Watched his tape and he was raw but HUSTLED for a big man. I thought to myself “this dude is going to be a beast by his redshirt sophmore season (3rd year). Dude proved me wrong and is becoming one at the end of his true freshman season. I can see Jordan being All SEC next year and his junior one before leaving early. Here’s hoping that vision continues and we have our big beast in the middle for at least a couple more years.

I loved when we played USCjr and Sandidge got pancaked a LOT!!!

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sandidge was a take...Sorry, but I'd love to have that guy.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Polynikes said:
    Sandidge was a take...Sorry, but I'd love to have that guy.

Not in exchange for Davis. He was then. Not anymore.