FB vs TE

YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby has said in the past that he isn't a fullback guy and that TEs essentially do the same thing. Do you guys think that FB is a redundant position? IMO a full time scholarship FB is very valuable and has an entirely different approach to the game than a TE.

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Who would you replace on current target or commit list for a FB?

That's the problem. I can't think of anyone. The next best thing would be converting someone full time but it's hard to get top recruits doing that.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really hard to find a FB productive enough to offer a full ride.

We have a plethora of TEs but to be an effective FB they would have to practice as a FB all the time and I don't think they'd be happy doing that.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would probably need to get some walk on guys, then if productive, one gets a scholarship. If you wanted to go this route. Similar to how hot rod had to earn his.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior

I personally like having a fullback. Maybe because I played the position, but I can't help but to think of these goalline problems. I understand if you take the split out for a FB it would add another guy to the box, but not necessarily the "hole" that the back is trying to run through. I feel like the fullback left the game that featured a lot more running than passing, for a wideout. Now, the fullback was key in short yardage situations. Fullback is the product of decades of running the ball. Nowadays football is high scoring, but what happens on the goalline is still short yardage! I don't need a guy to break a 80yd touchdown or go through 3 or 4 reads. I want an own blocking scheme up front with a fullback taking the first linebacker/unblocked player that comes up in whatever hole taken out! Not to mention the fake (bootleg) is sick. 2 linebackers have to come up to stop the run, now the middle is open . JMO miss the head on battles with linebackers.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Payne train was a legit fb op bro

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 6

Christian Payne makes @Teddy's point. Walk-on LB, converted to FB. @JRT812 is also right. He was legit, and a major contributor.

Here is a list of all UGA and Alabama players signed to scholarships as FB's in the past 20 years.

UGA

Brendan Douglas 2013
    Quayvon Hicks 2012
    Shaun Chapas 2006
    Brannan Southerland 2004
    Chris Hickman 2002

Bama

Mike Marrow 2009
    Jeramie Griffin 2007
    LeRon McClain 2003
    Nic Luke 2002
    Quentin Bowens 2001
    Jeremy Walker 1999

Notably, none for CKS so far, and none for Saban in almost 10 years. Not sure if this is a reflection of their particular philosophy, or changes in the college game generally, or the reality of limited scholarships when you're recruiting at the highest level, to @SoFL_Dawg's point. Probably all of the above.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@YaleDawg said:
    We have a plethora of TEs but to be an effective FB they would have to practice as a FB all the time and I don't think they'd be happy doing that.

Have mentioned on here before that imop CW could be an effective fullback and wouldn’t have to practice at the position full time.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember Bruce Figgins (6'4", 270lb) switch from TE to FB?

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I saw somewhere on here somebody mentioned switching McBride over to FB. I'd like that. OU found ways to get Flowers (their FB/Hback last yr) the ball in space

@Acrum21 said:
    I saw somewhere on here somebody mentioned switching McBride over to FB. I'd like that. OU found ways to get Flowers (their FB/Hback last yr) the ball in space

22 definitely has the size and speed but don’t know about the hands.

@Acrum21 said:

I've thought he'd make a good fullback but it always comes back to the scholarship issue. Coaches may think him transferring and opening up a scholarship is more valuable than switching his position to fullback.

@orlando said:

@Acrum21 said:

You can always teach someone to catch lol

@YaleDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

I've thought he'd make a good fullback but it always comes back to the scholarship issue. Coaches may think him transferring and opening up a scholarship is more valuable than switching his position to fullback.

Yeah Kirby would probably never do it but if he was a plug and play at that position then it'd be worth it imo. Will probably have a linebacker or two look elsewhere after the season anyways so numbers aren't as big as an issue as much as it's just against Kirbys philosophy if I had to guess.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 271 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Precisely! Luke Forward has been filling that role in short yardage plays.

@Acrum21 said:

@orlando said:

@Acrum21 said:

You can always teach someone to catch lol

@YaleDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

Yeah Kirby would probably never do it but if he was a plug and play at that position then it'd be worth it imo. Will probably have a linebacker or two look elsewhere after the season anyways so numbers aren't as big as an issue as much as it's just against Kirbys philosophy if I had to guess.

Nate would be a scary dude busting into the secondary.

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Not a replace, but I the current commit T. Marshall has the size and ball skills for it. Just thinking he could get some early PT. Doesn't he play QB in a Wild Dawg in High School?

• donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Not a replace, but I the current commit T. Marshall has the size and ball skills for it. Just thinking he could get some early PT. Doesn't he play QB in a Wild Dawg in High School?

Why make him a FB? Just let him run it on the goal line, like the "Refrigerator" in days past.

• BengalDawgBengalDawg Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

No need for a true FB on scholarship. As many have pointed out it would be a waste. That said doing what we/NFL has done is probably the right option. The Bengals use Sam Hubbard a very talented rookie DE as a FB in short yardage situations. They have even given him the ball a few times. We do the same thing with Luke Ford, but it would be nice to see a quick dive with him to throw off defenses

@donm said:

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Why make him a FB? Just let him run it on the goal line, like the "Refrigerator" in days past.

Fridge had a lead blocker too right?

@ThisDawg said:

@donm said:

@ThisDawg said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Fridge had a lead blocker too right?

Not sure You might be right, although he could have well been his own lead blocker.

Personally Devonte Wyatt would be my choice. I know he has wheels and I'd love to see 300lbs wrecking ball clearing lanes

@Acrum21 said:
    Personally Devonte Wyatt would be my choice. I know he has wheels and I'd love to see 300lbs wrecking ball clearing lanes

He could do either or both - be the refrigerator or be the FB or be his own blocker. I'd love to see it.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

I miss the toss sweep. That was a UGA staple. Need a FB for that one. It was our best play for decades

• BigDawg96BigDawg96 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Precisely! Luke Forward has been filling that role in short yardage plays.

IMO Luke Ford looks like he is going to be a great TE at UGA in the future but Luke is a 18/19 year old Freshman in college being asked to block 250 lb linebackers coming down hill. It is not working very well. It would benefit us greatly if we had a true FB (Christian Payne). Do not think the FB needs to be on scholarship but we should actively be recruiting in state prefered walk ons that get hope/zell miller to come be a walk on FB at georgia rather than playing at some FCS school. KSU is bringing in 1-2 FB a year to play for them, pretty sure uga could convince one of those guys to come to uga without giving up scholarship.