DeAngelo Gibbs?

bhamdawgbhamdawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I'm also fairly new here. Can someone give me some insight on the lack of sightings from DeAngelo? He seemed to have plenty of promise and talent, so where did it go?

Comments

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gibbs is just waiting his turn. Smart expects a lot out of him and knows what he is capable of

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 369 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:
    I think last year was a lost year for him and now he's having to play catch up to guys ahead of him, and highly rated, hungry kids coming behind him. I think we will know more after this year's spring ball (he didn't participate this past spring)

just my 2 cents

I agree with you. I think things are slowing down for him on this level & it just took time

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 369 ✭✭✭ Junior

He is a very talented guy & he needed to really learn the system but the biggest learning curve for him was the mental part of the game. I think he is finally getting it & things are slowing down also. Yes freshman play but the best teams have guys who waited 2 years after being on campus & We have that in place at UGA & it will truly pay off

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

typically it has taken grayson kids a while to develop in college - even nkemdiche had major issues his first couple years and never really rounded into the consistent dominant force he was projected - idk if its the grayson culture or what but these kids dont seem to arrive prepared even though they are extremely athletic and talented

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do hope Gibbs lives up to his hype, but did any of you watch their HS state championship game? I’m pulling for Gibbs, but Jamyest Williams was the best player on the field – PERIOD. I understand there is a big difference between high school football and SEC college football, but Gibbs wasn’t very aggressive in that particular game. And, Gibb’s player ranking, even though he finished as a high 4 star, dropped significantly from his sophomore and junior seasons.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgs18 said:
    typically it has taken grayson kids a while to develop in college - even nkemdiche had major issues his first couple years and never really rounded into the consistent dominant force he was projected - idk if its the grayson culture or what but these kids dont seem to arrive prepared even though they are extremely athletic and talented

Didn't Nkemdiche jump out of a window in a dorm his junior or senior season, injuring himself? What's he doing now?

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Gibbs is just waiting his turn. Smart expects a lot out of him and knows what he is capable of

There was an opening at his position though.
    It's another example of fans looking at recruiting rankings and making assumptions. We shouldn't flip and assume he won't eventually figure it out either.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 294 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgs18 That's an interesting assessment. Wondered why we didn't do well with recruiting there. Guess the kids are facing too challenging a path at UGA.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lefty13 said:

Didn't Nkemdiche jump out of a window in a dorm his junior or senior season, injuring himself? What's he doing now?

IR with Arizona Cardinals I believe

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 7

@Lefty13 said:

It happened in Atlanta as Ole Miss was preparing for the Bowl game against TCU. He walked thru a window and fell 15 feet. He injured himself so badly, he couldn't play in the Bowl game. Rumor has it, Nkemdiche was high on Spice when it happened. He is currently with the Cardinals.

Back to Gibbs, though.....I will be pleasantly surprised if he ever plays and has a meaningful role here. Just my opinion. We don't seem to do well with the Grayson kids for some reason.

@donm said:
    And reportedly has a ground floor apartment.

Well played, sir.....well played.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 7

@UnderDog68 said:

@Lefty13 said:

It happened in Atlanta as Ole Miss was preparing for the Bowl game against TCU. He walked thru a window and fell 15 feet. He injured himself so badly, he couldn't play in the Bowl game. Rumor has it, Nkemdiche was high on Spice when it happened. He is currently with the Cardinals.

Back to Gibbs, though.....I will be pleasantly surprised if he ever plays and has a meaningful role here. Just my opinion. We don't seem to do well with the Grayson kids for some reason.

Edit: I think we watched this film at my school in the early 80's as a "don't do drugs" message. FTR, that's academy award winning actress Helen Hunt who jumps through the window.

@AnotherDawg said:
    Edit: I think we watched this film at my school in the early 80's as a "don't do drugs" message. FTR, that's academy award winning actress Helen Hunt who jumps through the window.

Helen Hunt and CMR.....Separated at birth.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

Gibbs is on the two deep for Star. Saw him on the sideline vs KY. With how McGee is playing lately i wouldnt change anything

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 8

Gibbs has looked good when I’ve seen him. Maybe he is doing everything the coaches have asked him to do, and he is just working hard and trying to get into a position to help the team? We have had several talented guys who got kicked out of UGA and went on to very accomplished college careers. I think I’ll have a positive attitude about the kid. It took Cam Newton almost four seasons before he made an impact at the SEC level. Patience is a virtue.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgs18 said:

Tell that to Wayne Gallman or Chase Brice that is a asinine comment..

• cory430cory430 Posts: 220 ✭✭✭ Junior

Right now, this is a very tough defensive backfield to break into.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 194 ✭✭✭ Junior

@cory430 said:

It really shouldn't be with how McGhee is playing in coverage. He could not cover bama's 5th best reciever

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 310 ✭✭✭ Junior

@benjaminwgregg said:

@cory430 said:

It really shouldn't be with how McGhee is playing in coverage. He could not cover bama's 5th best reciever

His run support has been impressive to me.