Auburn crying about the schedule

corai3corai3 Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior

I may have missed a thread on this. If so, please post a link to it. But if not, did any of y'all see Gus complaining about the schedule? He wants to move the Georgia game to earlier in the year and he also thinks it's unfair to play at Bama and UGA in the same season. I didn't see him complaining about any of this last year when he had both of them at home.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stop complaining and just win your games. Nothing needs to change about our rivalry other than us getting our extra home game against them.

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭ Junior

As much as I hate Malzahn I will give him credit that he's said that in the past. When Missouri and A & M joined the conference our schedule got screwed up and we had to play at Auburn 2 consecutive years. It does need to be switched back so it would even our schedule up. Don't know if it will ever happen but they owe us a home game.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 294 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgs used to finish with UF, AU and GIT. Vince complained for years. He got UF and AU split up after he became AD. Let Guz do the same thing.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's partly because of Malzahn's horrible road record in SEC play. Gives them a better chance to split the games, instead of getting 2 losses. I have no problems with Auburn giving us 2 home games in a row, though....Just means 2 more 'Ws' against them.

• at2192at2192 Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

My take from reading the article is that UGA/Kirby are also onboard with bumping up AU game in annual schedule.

Also looks like once the contract expires with Jaxonville we could possibly be getting back to home & aways with Florida.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honestly I'd like to move it back. I miss the years when we ended the season with AU, then the nerds.

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I mean what are they going to do, move the GA game up so it pairs with LSU? Or comes before Texas A&M? Mississippi State?

There's no right to slice it Barners, you, like Tennessee, got the short ends of the stick and have to play the best 2 SEC programs every year. Go cry elsewhere.

UGA/AU is a November game in my opinion, I don't want it moved.

@at2192 said:

Also looks like once the contract expires with Jaxonville we could possibly be getting back to home & aways with Florida.

I don't think this will ever happen. Too much money involved.

@UnderDog68 said:

@at2192 said:

I don't think this will ever happen. Too much money involved.

Yes, $2.something million to UGA is a lot of money, so by no means is a switch a done deal.

But Kirby wants the game for recruiting purposes and what Kirby wants he usually gets.

I’ve also read in past that local businesses in Athens have been frustrated ever since the decision to move the game to Jaxonville because of the revenues they lose from such a big game every other year. I’m not sure if UGA takes them into account at all.

@at2192 said:
    I’ve also read in past that local businesses in Athens have been frustrated ever since the decision to move the game to Jaxonville because of the revenues they lose from such a big game every other year. I’m not sure if UGA takes them into account at all.

We've been playing this game in Jacksonville since 1933. How many businesses are still around from back then to complain? This game being in Jax is all they've ever known.

IMO leave the Auburn game alone except perhaps to get it back on the rotation it was on before the Missouri switch a roo. That way we have them on the years we play Tennessee and Tech away, enhancing the home schedule. Make the Ga. Fl. game rotate between Athens, Jacksonville,and Gainesville. Thus appeasing the south Ga. alumni and give Jacksonville a chance to get the mess straightened out around the stadium. No decent way to leave the game afterwards if you park in certain lots. Of course if McGarity would strengthen our home schedule with some PAC 12, or Big 10 opponents and quit playing the non power 5 teams then it wouldn't matter as much. Middle Tennessee,U Mass, and Austin Peay whoo hoo, now those are some teams to get excited about playing.

@UnderDog68 said:

@at2192 said:

We've been playing this game in Jacksonville since 1933. How many businesses are still around from back then to complain? This game being in Jax is all they've ever known.

The only one that I know of is the Varsity!

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who cares let em cry

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Only Gus Malzahn would worry more about where the teams fall on the schedule than actually beating those teams.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What bugs me about this move is all the outside people saying, “oh yeahhh, you definitely wanna move that game...”

A few months back, I’m watching ESPN, and 3 of the 4 commentators are talking about how great it would be to move it. None of them have anything to do with Georgia.

What the **** do you people care?

Griff is kind of in that category to me. But he’s in a weird spot. He’s an outsider who just took a job inside this year. So it’s kind of like he has to comment.

@UnderDog68 said:

@at2192 said:

Totally my bad, became a Dawg fan roughly seven years and didn’t realize the game has been down there for that long.

But I had definitely read something about local business owners wanting to have these games played in Athens. Again, not sure how much that affects the administration’s decision.

Anyway, probably will come down how much Kirby pushes for it. If anything, maybe being willing to bump this game up gives us some leverage to get our lost home game back and with that we also get back to a more balanced home schedule each year.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 281 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m pretty sure I won’t ever have to worry about it being played anywhere but Jacksonville during the rest of my life. However, the game was played in Gainesville in 1994 & Athens in 1995 while the Gator Bowl was being rebuilt. Sadly, I attended both games & Spurrior beat the S-H-I-C R A P out of us both games.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

Home cooking didn’t seem to get them too upset last year.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

TOUGH STUFF!!! Three schools to not be concerned about:
    1.Florida
    2.Auburn
    3.Tech