Interesting Story on Will Grier

LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just read this story about Will Grier on Bleacher Report, and came to two conclusions:
1. Thank God he couldn’t go to USCjr,
2. No wonder McElwain got fired.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804706-west-virginias-will-grier-and-the-decision-that-transformed-his-career

Comments

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Wow! Shocking if true.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

McElwain was, in every sense of the word, a complete bust and a goof

I wish Florida had kept him longer

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn’t Mac Bro hump a shark or something? Interesting article, but for the life of me I will never understand how that goof beat UGA as many times times as he did

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JRT812 said:
    Didn’t Mac Bro hump a shark or something? Interesting article, but for the life of me I will never understand how that goof beat UGA as many times times as he did

1-1 vs Smart and that first year was Smart more worried about implementing his culture, which paid off in year two, than winning games

had he stayed it would have been great for the UGA record books, imo

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 8

The Butterfly Effect metaphor was a real reach. A butterfly causing a hurricane on the other side of the planet is a lot less explicable than an excellent quarterback causing coaches to win games.

One thing they left out that I vaguely remember and am pretty sure is true is that Feleipe Franks was a Florida native who wanted to go to FU, but Muschamp wouldn’t offer him. So Feleipe committed to LSU. Then when McElwain took Mischamp’s job, Feleipe got an offer.

So not only did McElwain chase out Muschamp’s excellent quarterback. He also went scrounging around for Muschamp’s reject and found out why he was rejected.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    The Butterfly Effect metaphor was a real reach. A butterfly causing a hurricane on the other side of the planet is a lot less explicable than an excellent quarterback causing coaches to win games.

One thing they left out that I vaguely remember and am pretty sure is true is that Feleipe Franks was a Florida native who wanted to go to FU, but Muschamp wouldn’t offer him. So Feleipe committed to LSU. Then when McElwain took Mischamp’s job, Feleipe got an offer.

So not only did McElwain chase out Muschamp’s excellent quarterback. He also went scrounging around for Muschamp’s reject and found out why he was rejected.

I always found this to be a more pleasing take on chaos theory:

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After digesting that fully, I really hope bama's HC search post-Saban leads them to MacButterteeth.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BojanglesInsider said:
    After digesting that fully, I really hope bama's HC search post-Saban leads them to MacButterteeth.

He is the ultimate doofus.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

I know, right?

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks to Mac he probably set Florida back 5 years. If Grier stayed Mac would probably still be the coach. Thanks Mac!

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Telling Grier to leave was crazy. The last time McElwain made that big of a mistake, he was laying naked on top of a shark.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Grier tested positive for PEDs.

Suspended for a year...

Came back and was told by McElwain that he would have to earn his spot back.

Grier gets mad, pouts, and leaves.

Yea, Butter Teeth was a m-oron, but I see no problem with telling someone that tested positive that they have to earn it.

Obviously, I don't know what went on behind closed doors, but this was the official version of why he left Florida, and is the line that UF fans use for why he left on other message boards that I peruse, most notably, the SECRant.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    Grier tested positive for PEDs.

Suspended for a year...

Came back and was told by McElwain that he would have to earn his spot back.

Grier gets mad, pouts, and leaves.

Yea, Butter Teeth was a m-oron, but I see no problem with telling someone that tested positive that they have to earn it.

Obviously, I don't know what went on behind closed doors, but this was the official version of why he left Florida, and is the line that UF fans use for why he left on other message boards that I peruse, most notably, the SECRant.

Whatever the story is I’m glad he’s gone and they still can’t find a QB

@Kasey said:
    Whatever the story is I’m glad he’s gone and they still can’t find a QB.

Yea...Butter Teeth thought Franks would be better than Grier, and was out recruiting him when he should have been meeting with Grier to discuss his future at UF. What a swing and a miss....LMAO!

Now the back up QB that Mullen was going to start this week vs. SCAR, Trask, has a broken foot sustained in practice this week, and they have no choice but to go with Franks or the true freshman, Emory.

What a train wreck.

The “he has to earn it” is McElwain’s side of the story. I remember McElwain making a public comment, “I think he wanted guaranteed playing time. I don’t do guaranteed playing time”.

That article said they tried to contact McElwain, but he didn’t respond.

That article was Grier’s side of the story.

@levander said:
    The “he has to earn it” is McElwain’s side of the story. I remember McElwain making a public comment, “I think he wanted guaranteed playing time. I don’t do guaranteed playing time”.

Yea, it's always going to be a 'he said', 'she said' thing, but McElwain's assistants also told their side, and it wasn't too flattering for McElwain.

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

Yea, it's always going to be a 'he said', 'she said' thing, but McElwain's assistants also told their side, and it wasn't too flattering for McElwain.

Whichever side of the story you look at, the only way McElwain’s actions make sense is if he really thought he had something in his pocket with Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask. Boy did he swing and miss with those two.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wow, what a story! Makes you want to pull for Grier. Boy did he get lucky by getting out of the swamp. As a side note.... why does UF attract the worst people as head coaches? I mean, yes I'm biased, but their coaches are all a-holes.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

I duno... the more I hear Mullen open his trap and speak the more I think he's trying to take the title.

@RxDawg said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

I duno... the more I hear Mullen open his trap and speak the more I think he's trying to take the title.

Yeah, Mullen hasn’t really done anything yet. And he’s certainly more capable as a head coach than McElwain was (I’d love to see the look on Mullen’s face when he found out McElwain had a lot of his athletes he inherited running around in an ongoing feud with a bookie that the police had been involved in).

But I see it in Mullen’s eyes and some of the things he’s said too. He’s at Florida now, the big league. As soon as he can feed his ego and get some success, I see it coming. Mullen’s gonna do some really dumb ****.

It’s hard to imagine him topping Meyer’s depravity or McElwain’s incompetence though.

@levander said:

It’s hard to imagine him topping Meyer’s depravity or McElwain’s incompetence though.

Kinda makes you think that maybe they should have held on to Muschamp a bit longer, doesn't it? He wasn't that great, but was much better than Butter Teeth....Especially on defense. But, he also recruited Grier, so maybe he was going to open the offense up more and let his OC coach....We'll never know, though. Just glad Grier didn't end up in SCAR.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UnderDog68 said:

@levander said:

Kinda makes you think that maybe they should have held on to Muschamp a bit longer, doesn't it? He wasn't that great, but was much better than Butter Teeth....Especially on defense. But, he also recruited Grier, so maybe he was going to open the offense up more and let his OC coach....We'll never know, though. Just glad Grier didn't end up in SCAR.

Yes, I think Muschamp would have done much better. He left Mc with a great defense, and Muschamp would have kept Grier around and would have recruited better. The Gator alumni give coaches a couple of years and then they turn on them. I don’t think Mullen will last very long. He needs to sign a top ten class and start winning or they will turn on him.

@PerroGrande said:

I don’t think Mullen will last very long. He needs to sign a top ten class and start winning or they will turn on him.

Easier said than done. Mullen has never really been known for his recruiting prowess. He really doesn't like doing it, and wasn't all that involved in it when Meyer was at UF. His classes at Miss State were never really ranked very high, but hey....it was Mississippi. Florida recruits itself in a lot of ways, though. We'll see what happens, but his first class there wasn't even ranked in the top-20. That ain't gonna get it done at UF.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UnderDog68 said:

@PerroGrande said:

I don’t think Mullen will last very long. He needs to sign a top ten class and start winning or they will turn on him.

Easier said than done. Mullen has never really been known for his recruiting prowess. He really doesn't like doing it, and wasn't all that involved in it when Meyer was at UF. His classes at Miss State were never really ranked very high, but hey....it was Mississippi. Florida recruits itself in a lot of ways, though. We'll see what happens, but his first class there wasn't even ranked in the top-20. That ain't gonna get it done at UF.

I’ve thought this about Mullen as well. 24/7 has Florida at 23rd right now (there’s a ways to go, of course). It’s been a mediocre decade, at best, for UF. Mullen obviously has a clear link (and claim) to some of the Gators’ past glory, but I’m not sure they can trade on their name the way they used to. There are ten SEC teams (3 are East teams) ahead of them in those rankings. Muschamp, Pruitt, and Smart are easily more aggressive than Mullen on the trail.

They’re in danger of getting left behind, in my opinion.

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

And that don't upset me one bit, brother. In fact, it only makes me glad.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UnderDog68 said:

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

And that don't upset me one bit, brother. In fact, it only makes me glad.

100%! Celebrating a Dawg win after the Cocktail Party will never get old!

• donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@PerroGrande said:

I’ve thought this about Mullen as well. 24/7 has Florida at 23rd right now (there’s a ways to go, of course). It’s been a mediocre decade, at best, for UF. Mullen obviously has a clear link (and claim) to some of the Gators’ past glory, but I’m not sure they can trade on their name the way they used to. There are ten SEC teams (3 are East teams) ahead of them in those rankings. Muschamp, Pruitt, and Smart are easily more aggressive than Mullen on the trail.

I think he's waiting for the crowds to show up before he starts recruiting.

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@PerroGrande said:

What’s the best college conference where recruiting isn’t nearly as big a deal as it is in the SEC?

If Mullen is gonna lollygag as a recruiter, he needs to go there.

Or... let him stay at Florida. Be nice to have someone down there we can own every year. If he’s not gonna recruit, maybe we should let him win every few years? Just to make sure he sticks around.