Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby may have a slow simmering Will Muschamp problem

MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I DO NOT follow S. Carolina football but I've noticed that they r starting to consistently get kids that Georgia and Alabama r after. I would guess that he's selling these kids on early playing time that may not be possible at Georgia, Alabama or Clemson. Give him a little time to sell his vision and S. Carolina could b a major thorn in Kirby side. Anyone has any said Intel on their '19 and '20 classes.

Comments

• Options

That's the thing. If he can hold his own in regard to competing against Clemson for the couple handful of blue chippers S. Carolina produces every year, and pluck a few from Florida where he obviously has ties as well as Georgia and Tennessee he will b a small problem down the roa

• Options

d. Not worried or anything in fact I want the rest of the East to improve and I'm betting that Muschamp and Dan Mullen will have their teams winning 8-9 games a yr pretty consistently. Not enough to seriously threaten Georgias perch atop The East, but enough to make things very interesting which is what I want.

• Options
    tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When coming in new it is easier to sell recruits on early playing time. Heck, Kirby did it too

But once those cupboards are stocked, or well equipped at least, can you still sell that talent to sign? Because if the program is not winning it becomes harder.

Kirby sold on competition and playing time. As a result UGA is a winning program. Now he can sell a winner and competition.

Muschamp needs to win. Otherwise the recruiting will dip

• Options

Oh yeah It could b a very long time before any of those teams can really threaten Georgia but I just want them to be competitive enough to where the S. Carolina, Fla., and Tennessee games r something to really look forward to.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:
    When coming in new it is easier to sell recruits on early playing time. Heck, Kirby did it too

But once those cupboards are stocked, or well equipped at least, can you still sell that talent to sign? Because if the program is not winning it becomes harder.

Kirby sold on competition and playing time. As a result UGA is a winning program. Now he can sell a winner and competition.

Muschamp has been at SC the same amount of time Kirby has been at UGA.
    Too much is being made of a few kids deciding to go to SC.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Great point, but I think Muschamp has done a tremendous job, too. The talent at SC was so bad, Spurrier just up and quit, and it looked pretty grim. Muschamp has not only brought a lot of hope, he is collecting quite a number of high star players, particularly on D. I expect SC’s improvement to be another factor in the ascension of the SEC East.

• Options

@PerroGrande said:

@WCDawg said:

Great point, but I think Muschamp has done a tremendous job, too. The talent at SC was so bad, Spurrier just up and quit, and it looked pretty grim. Muschamp has not only brought a lot of hope, he is collecting quite a number of high star players, particularly on D. I expect SC’s improvement to be another factor in the ascension of the SEC East.

The only player SC has committed that we would have allowed to commit to us is Daniel, it's not exactly a crisis

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Muschamp will get a few defensive players Kirby watts just because of his track record but I can’t think of a whole a lot of kids on offense where he goes head-to-head and wins. Anyone?

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WC, no crisis, but I think we were recruiting 4 stars Belk and Sandidge (DTs) pretty hard.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m just going to say that Muschump has always recruited the defensive side of the ball very well. We can even look at his Florida days to see that. Now where he lacks is on the offensive side of the ball. He hasn’t been able to recruit that side of the ball very strongly like Kirby and co have been able to do.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dbrown7494 said:
    I’m just going to say that Muschump has always recruited the defensive side of the ball very well. We can even look at his Florida days to see that. Now where he lacks is on the offensive side of the ball. He hasn’t been able to recruit that side of the ball very strongly like Kirby and co have been able to do.

So, we are doing better than SC on the O side of the ball and, at least for right now, SC is having a bit more success in the D side of the ball?

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    Two coaching legends failed to do anything with SC. i doubt Muschamp is going to be any better.

Spurrier was pretty successful there. I think he hit their ceiling though.
    Going back at least to the early 1990s when I lived in South Carolina, their administrators had a reputation as being less than helpful.

• Options

@donm said:

@dbrown7494 said:

So, we are doing better than SC on the O side of the ball and, at least for right now, SC is having a bit more success in the D side of the ball?

No way Jose. We out recruit them in every area, with the possible exception of interior DL.

• Options

@pgjackson said:
    Two coaching legends failed to do anything with SC. i doubt Muschamp is going to be any better.

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "failed to do anything"

They did have back to back to back 11 win seasons under Spurrier. Think they were like 18-2 at home at one point under him too. Before Spurrier USC had been to 11 bowl games and only won three, two of which were under Holtz. So prior to Lou Holtz they were 1 and 8 in bowls. That is over like 70 years

Under Spurrier alone they were 5-4. So he went to as almost as many bowls in his run at USC as the school did its entire previous history. And he won more. He also brought them to their first division title. And they went undefeated in the East another year (UGA ended up winning the division that year though)

Spurrier also went 5-0 at one point vs Clemson, their first ever win at Florida, defeated a #1 ranked Alabama, and beat UGA 3x in a row

I think that is USC's ceiling, and they may never have a run like that again, but they did not fail to do anything

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

I don't disagree, was just addressing the general point of the OP

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,038 mod

@tfk_fanboy said:

@pgjackson said:

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "failed to do anything"

They did have back to back to back 11 win seasons under Spurrier. Think they were like 18-2 at home at one point under him too. Before Spurrier USC had been to 11 bowl games and only won three, two of which were under Holtz. So prior to Lou Holtz they were 1 and 8 in bowls. That is over like 70 years

Under Spurrier alone they were 5-4. So he went to as almost as many bowls in his run at USC as the school did its entire previous history. And he won more. He also brought them to their first division title. And they went undefeated in the East another year (UGA ended up winning the division that year though)

Spurrier also went 5-0 at one point vs Clemson, their first ever win at Florida, defeated a #1 ranked Alabama, and beat UGA 3x in a row

I think that is USC's ceiling, and they may never have a run like that again, but they did not fail to do anything

If Muschamp were to win an SEC Championship, he would accomplish something no other coach in the history of SC has ever done. If he were to win the East division, he would tie the number of times they've ever won under any coach.

He make make it to legendary status as SC's coach someday.......but not anytime soon....