Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Major Applewhite

ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What do y'all think about the Ed Oliver vs. M. Applewhite jacket situation?
I would be pissed if I was Oliver.

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know anything about it, but it appears to be a major fail

• SavageDawg1989SavageDawg1989 Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

I get it, that they have a rule about the jackets, but no one was trying to wear that jacket... so I think he was being a prick

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well from reading a little more about the situation apparently it was a stated rule for the game. It was stated before the game by coach as a team rule. Apparently Oliver wasn’t the only player who he told to take off the jacket. Oliver is the only one who acted the way he did. Personally I think Oliver is a cry baby. He quit on that team by not playing this week. I know the whole story on getting injured and things but he could easily have gotten an insurance policy taken out on himself where he would get paid if he did drop. So it’s a bad look for Oliver. Major was just doing the right thing and holding everyone to his standards.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SavageDawg1989 said:
    I get it, that they have a rule about the jackets, but no one was trying to wear that jacket... so I think he was being a prick

Definitely, Ed has done more for that school than Major. Not Ed's fault he didn't have any thing to play for

@dbrown7494 said:
    Well from reading a little more about the situation apparently it was a stated rule for the game. It was stated before the game by coach as a team rule. Apparently Oliver wasn’t the only player who he told to take off the jacket. Oliver is the only one who acted the way he did. Personally I think Oliver is a cry baby. He quit on that team by not playing this week. I know the whole story on getting injured and things but he could easily have gotten an insurance policy taken out on himself where he would get paid if he did drop. So it’s a bad look for Oliver. Major was just doing the right thing and holding everyone to his standards.

I wonder if there was a rule made about the water before the game that only people playing are allowed to drink, or maybe a new rule that just the people playing get to use the locker room restrooms. D u M b rule made before the game sounds fishy to me. Applewhite is just mad his only player that has done something doesn't want to play in meaningless games.

Next man up coach that's on you

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get it from Applewhites perspective, it’s only 50 and he had on sweats. Who cares if Oliver gets tight from standing in the “cold”. Kudos to CMA for treating everyone the same and handling EdO blowing up with class,

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:

@dbrown7494 said:

I wonder if there was a rule made about the water before the game that only people playing are allowed to drink, or maybe a new rule that just the people playing get to use the locker room restrooms. D u M b rule made before the game sounds fishy to me. Applewhite is just mad his only player that has done something doesn't want to play in meaningless games.

Next man up coach that's on you

All programs have weird rules. All we know is that Houston might not have many of those big jackets and coach didn’t want to waist it on someone sitting out. Who could afford to put layers on if he was that cold. Coaches have rules and players need to respect the rules that are given. If a player gets this rattled over a jacket. After the rule was established. I can’t wait to see what happens to him at the combine because they will break that kid. If he breaks over that little issue

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My list of things that would justify that kind of response from a player to his/her head coach on national TV is rather short. Jackets are not on my list.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was a **** and petty move by Applewhite, it was a red flag reaction by Oliver, there are no winners in this one.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:

@SavageDawg1989 said:

Definitely, Ed has done more for that school than Major. Not Ed's fault he didn't have any thing to play for

He did have something to play for, his teammates. The guys who played alongside him and ate blocks for him. The twos and threes that sat on the bench and came in when he needed a breather. The offense that went out and did their best to score. The coaches who taught him technique and put in the hours to develop defensive schemes to best use his skills. He had plenty to play for, it just wasn't going to benefit HIM. Unfortunately that is the attitude of many millennials now. When he starts getting a paycheck to play they aren't going to put up with that prima donna crap.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They both look like idiots. On another note, Applewhite is making $1.5 million a year to coach. How can a school pay that for one person and not be able to afford jackets for their players? Man, priorities...

@Catfish said:

@ThisDawg said:

@SavageDawg1989 said:

He did have something to play for, his teammates. The guys who played alongside him and ate blocks for him. The twos and threes that sat on the bench and came in when he needed a breather. The offense that went out and did their best to score. The coaches who taught him technique and put in the hours to develop defensive schemes to best use his skills. He had plenty to play for, it just wasn't going to benefit HIM. Unfortunately that is the attitude of many millennials now. When he starts getting a paycheck to play they aren't going to put up with that prima donna crap.

So he did develop his skills and put in the work just like the coaches who are getting paid to help him do it, I'm with you, but just because his "team" might feel he owes them his full last year no matter what the "team" goals are for the season doesn't mean "he" should feel the same. Where's all the other members of the "team's" hardwork at? "He" was the "team" because of what he did for the "team". He's the best player they've ever had! Can't wear a jacket that's not being used? Herschel would have earned that right to me... forget **** rules. If I was a highly rated recruit and seen that... forget that team.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:

Oliver was asked to play, but told Applewhite he couldn't go. Meanwhile during warm-ups, Oliver was running all over the field and catching passes like he was OK, but said he couldn't play. Applewhite told Oliver the rule was that active players wore the jackets on the sidelines and took it.....leading to the p-issing contest on TV. Basically it was because Applewhite was mad that Oliver told him that he couldn't play and was making a 'business decision.' Applewhite was being petty, but rules are rules.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:

@ThisDawg said:

Oliver was asked to play, but told Applewhite he couldn't go. Meanwhile during warm-ups, Oliver was running all over the field and catching passes like he was OK, but said he couldn't play. Applewhite told Oliver the rule was that active players wore the jackets on the sidelines and took it.....leading to the p-issing contest on TV. Basically it was because Applewhite was mad that Oliver told him that he couldn't play and was making a 'business decision.' Applewhite was being petty, but rules are rules.

So was Oliver kind of extending the "don't play in a bowl game and get hurt before the combine" thing? Kind of like "don't play the last few games since we aren't going anywhere anyways" ?

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

So was Oliver kind of extending the "don't play in a bowl game and get hurt before the combine" thing? Kind of like "don't play the last few games since we aren't going anywhere anyways" ?

Yep....This. ^^^

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ThisDawg said:

If he’s going to do that just do like Bosa and Anderson have already done this year

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ThisDawg said:

If he’s going to do that just do like Bosa and Anderson have already done this year

To me, he's their HERSCHEL WALKER. Now what would you do to Herschel?

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@UnderDog68 said:

@ThisDawg said:

To me, he's their HERSCHEL WALKER. Now what would you do to Herschel?

Run right over someone's arse and keep going