Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Trae Young is killing his value by chucking bricks from half court...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited November 2018 in General

Who would have thought his only offensive weakness as of right now is 3 pt shooting ?
He is averaging over 50% on 2 pt shots but under 40% overall because he's throwing up a load of 3 pt shots and hitting under 25% of them.

At halftime in tonight's game he is dead last on the team in +- because he's missed every 3 pt attempt, he's 2 of 3 on 2 pt shots though.

He needs coaching now before he comes to think chucking bricks from 50ft out is his birthright.

He can hit a high percentage from near the 3 pt line, he just needs to learn how to play in the offense and stop being a chucking goober.

Comments

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should have taken doncic but I've given up on the hawks ever making a good top draft pick

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@YaleDawg said:
    Should have taken doncic but I've given up on the hawks ever making a good top draft pick

It's too early to make that call. Young is already an elite passer and he is doing fine in the area I wondered if he'd be athletic enough to make work, driving to the basket. His problem is fixable, but it will take a firm hand from the coaching staff.
    I do like Donic though. We got Trae plus Dallas's 1st rd pick in next year's draft, let's see how it shakes out in the next 3 to 4 years.

edited November 2018

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

It's too early to make that call. Young is already an elite passer and he is doing fine in the area I wondered if he'd be athletic enough to make work, driving to the basket. His problem is fixable, but it will take a firm hand from the coaching staff.
    I do like Donic though. We got Trae plus Dallas's 1st rd pick in next year's draft, let's see how it shakes out in the next 3 to 4 years.

It's top 5 protected. Could have gotten it unprotected because everyone knew Dallas was doncic or bust. Just adds to the hawks terrible history in the draft.

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

It's top 5 protected. Could have gotten it unprotected because everyone knew Dallas was doncic or bust

I think Donic will assure it's not a top 5, is that irony ? it's hard to tell.

edited November 2018

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

It's top 5 protected. Could have gotten it unprotected because everyone knew Dallas was doncic or bust

I just hope the hawks can get one of Duke's top three in the draft. I fear they are headed towards late lottery 8th seed hell for the foreseeable future

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

I just hope the hawks can get one of Duke's top three in the draft. I fear they are headed towards late lottery 8th seed hell for the foreseeable future

I think The Hawks' pick will be top 5, the pick they get from Dallas may be outside the lottery or it could be top 10.
    The 2019 draft looks much weaker than this year's, I'm hoping some talent will emerge by draft day.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

Well, he was freed of his responsibilities to The Hawks.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

Where is he now? Is he back in the league or has he been blackballed?

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

Special advisor to the GM for New Orleans Pelicans. Still lives in Atlanta.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

I was sure the man was a genius after somehow getting rid of Joe j nightmarish contract

@dawgitimafan said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

I was sure the man was a genius after somehow getting rid of Joe j nightmarish contract

I would have loved to see how Danny would have used all the chips he had accumulated in draft picks and trade equity. The position he left the team with was squandered.

@dawgitimafan said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

He is a genius when it comes to managing a pro basketball franchise. The PC brigade railroaded him, with the help of a spineless owner. I'd love to see him re-hired by the Hawks one day, after he's done his time in purgatory. Not sure that will ever happen.

edited November 2018

@AnotherDawg said:

@dawgitimafan said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

He is a genius when it comes to managing a pro basketball franchise. The PC brigade railroaded him, with the help of a spineless owner. I'd love to see him re-hired by the Hawks one day, after he's done his time in purgatory. Not sure that will ever happen.

I hope the new GM is a good replacement. I like the first draft, with the possible exception of trading the rights to Donic, time will tell how Young and Dallas's 1st rd pick work out. Young has very dynamic upside, but he has to be smarter in his shooting. I get that taking shots from half court makes defenses have to step out in the short term, which gives him more room to blow by and get to the basket, but it's a low percentage tradeoff. He has to learn to get open closer to the 3 pt line to be efficient.

Trae had 25 pts 17 assist and 3 rebounds tonight. No doubt we have a rare talent in Young. Again his only flaw was chucking 3 pt bricks, 1 for 5 tonight. This kid had a drive to the basket in the 2nd quarter that showed just how complete an offensive player he can be, it was elite.

@WCDawg said:
    Trae had 25 pts 17 assist and 3 rebounds tonight. No doubt we have a rare talent in Young. Again his only flaw was chucking 3 pt bricks, 1 for 5 tonight. This kid had a drive to the basket in the 2nd quarter that showed just how complete an offensive player he can be, it was elite.

yeah but he got drafted to put butts in seats. management feels the best way to do that while we rebuild is to chuck ridiculous three balls. That's my pessimistic take with no evidence to back it up.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The hawks don't need wins this year. He'll only get better at 3 pointers by shooting more of em. Let him get as many reps as he needs imo. Also, 1 for 5 is bad, but if he gets 17 assists its clear he's not going for 3 when a better pass is a available.

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

yeah but he got drafted to put butts in seats. management feels the best way to do that while we rebuild is to chuck ridiculous three balls. That's my pessimistic take with no evidence to back it up.

I really don't think that's why he's throwing them up from Norcross, but I could be wrong. It makes sense in context to creating driving room by forcing slower defenders way outside, but if he keeps chucking bricks they'll back off and guard him tighter in. If and when he gets more selective on where he shoots from, he'll be on his way to becoming an all star.
    It's a correctable flaw now, I just hope he doesn't let it get too ingrained.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@dawgitimafan said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

I would have loved to see how Danny would have used all the chips he had accumulated in draft picks and trade equity. The position he left the team with was squandered.

He surely wouldn't have let key pieces walk for nothing... and set the organization back 5 years.... Coach Bud was a joke...

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgitimafan said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@AnotherDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

Free Danny Ferry!

He surely wouldn't have let key pieces walk for nothing... and set the organization back 5 years.... Coach Bud was a joke...

Bud got put in a hard position when Ferry got fired. Coaches should not be GMs.