Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Thoughts on minor league football

deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

Just looking for opinions on creating a minor league football system. Set up teams across that the country that kids can go to instead of college. What do you guys think?

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    Just looking for opinions on creating a minor league football system. Set up teams across that the country that kids can go to instead of college. What do you guys think?

The part of that that I like is kids wouldn't have to go to college if they didn't want to. THe part I wouldn't like is the loss of college FB, imperfect as it is.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

NFL likes their free subsidized minor league called major college football just fine. Don’t rock the boat

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Starts in March I believe. Aaron Murray is playing QB for the local team to Georgia. Cameron Nizaliac (however you spell it) will be kicking and Steve Spurrier is coaching. Thank Vince McMann I think. AAF (All American Football)

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Besides the fact that college football is an amazing spectacle to behold, the college-to-NFL system is a much better way to balance the risk and reward that comes with playing a violent sport. If you can't make the pros and get the huge payday, you at least get a degree. With a minor league system I think many athletes will not be duly compensated for the toll on their bodies.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ThisDawg said:
    Starts in March I believe. Aaron Murray is playing QB for the local team to Georgia. Cameron Nizaliac (however you spell it) will be kicking and Steve Spurrier is coaching. Thank Vince McMann I think. AAF (All American Football)

This the AAF but not McMann. He is redoing the XFL starting in 2020.

• Bulldawgfan0389Bulldawgfan0389 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2019

@ThisDawg said:

Murray will be QB for Atlanta legends, Nizialek will be a Punter on that team. Spurrier will not be coaching Atlanta legends. Spurrier will coach the Orlando Apollos. just an FYI. We actually got alot of UGA alum there. Reggie Carter, Dom Sanders, Shaq Wiggins (Ex- Dawg), Damien Swann & Quincy Mauger.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg said:
    Besides the fact that college football is an amazing spectacle to behold, the college-to-NFL system is a much better way to balance the risk and reward that comes with playing a violent sport. If you can't make the pros and get the huge payday, you at least get a degree. With a minor league system I think many athletes will not be duly compensated for the toll on their bodies.

They could always go back to college with the money they make

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish the NFL would create a minor league system. Kids who really just want to go to the league can go there, rather than treating college as a necessary hurdle to their professional dreams.

Let college be about getting an education and make that the priority over MNC's and insane recruiting and win at all cost actions. Sure, we'll lose some of the best athletes, but football is fun to watch at every level. I love the FCS games too.

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JayDog said:
    I wish the NFL would create a minor league system. Kids who really just want to go to the league can go there, rather than treating college as a necessary hurdle to their professional dreams.

Let college be about getting an education and make that the priority over MNC's and insane recruiting and win at all cost actions. Sure, we'll lose some of the best athletes, but football is fun to watch at every level. I love the FCS games too.

Booooo ethics

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sauceddawg said:

@JayDog said:

Booooo ethics

I know, I know. But I would love to watch minor league games during the winter, spring, and summer, but would never give up the pageantry of college football.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The amount of money involved in college football will be VERY difficult for a minor league to overcome. It would basically be full of academic flunkies and have very little support. Also... can kids go to the Canadian football league right out of high school if they want? If they can then that's another route right there. But as of now, the best of the land will still go to college because of the sweet facilities and scenery.

That all said also means the NCAA still has some pull. If they want to stop a lot of this recent nonsense, they can. As long as the schools also support it, and they should.

• riverdawg7905riverdawg7905 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

Some things I like about the AAF from what I've read, the players receive a 3 yr contract for 250 thousand and a scholarship for 2ndary education . Also includes an NFL opt out clause. Mandatory regional recruiting I also like. Hope the Atl Legends stomp spurrier in orlando.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully the league gets fan support. If the Atlanta team wins the AAF Championship then it will be on par with Atlanta United’s title. The AAF will probably be a higher rated football league than MLS is rated among Soccer leagues, worldwide.

Take that, United fans.

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No money, no dice. Fantasy

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I hope AAF works out too. Be nice to watch some football during the off season and get to see DGDs who didn't make it in the NFL

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When Aaron Murray finishes scratching his football itch with the Legends, I'd love to c him join Kirbys staff as QB Coach. Definitely 1 of my All Time favorite Dawgs.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    I hope AAF works out too. Be nice to watch some football during the off season and get to see DGDs who didn't make it in the NFL

Yeah me too...The only thing I hate about all of this is that the Atlanta Legends' colors are Purple and Gold. Purple and Gold, really?

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really think Murray is gonna wind up coaching once his playing days r over and hopefully itll b with the Dawgs.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would there still be a 3-year after HS rule for the NFL? One reason minor league baseball isn’t really a bigger deal is that players get moved and traded so often you have no idea who’s on the team from game to game. Imagine if your local team is doing great, but your All-Star QB gets pulled up to the NFL or gets traded in the middle of the season....now your team sucks. Who wants that? Team instability in minor league sports is an issue.