Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is the death of football (and other contact sports) coming in our life time?

MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 2019 in General

ESPN has a very long but good article on the difficulty of football and other sports to get insurance coverage especially at the youth level. Even the NFL, with all of its money, is finding it difficult to find insurance as only one insurance carrier is willing to write the policy. However, that insurance company has a very interesting perspective that football is not going anywhere because it is the life blood and gathering place of the community. Are we beginning to witness the eventual death of football, hockey and soccer?

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25776964/insurance-market-football-evaporating-causing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

Comments

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

If this happens we lose any sense of unifying culture except for wal mart and mcdonalds. It'd be the saddest thing. Im sure CTE is caused by other things than football too. Weve just only studied football...for some reason

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nah. Too much $$$. Way too much.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The death of everything is coming.

ETA....unknown.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

That may be true in the NFL and major college football but if football dies at the youth and high school level, where do you get the players to play in college and the NFL.

@WCDawg said:

ETA....unknown.

uroboros

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@sauceddawg said:
    If this happens we lose any sense of unifying culture except for wal mart and mcdonalds. It'd be the saddest thing. Im sure CTE is caused by other things than football too. Weve just only studied football...for some reason

They have studied it in wrestling and hockey as well. A few "professional" wrestlers have a lawsuit against the wwe for concussion and cte concerns.ay have been one or two diagnosed as well.. can't remember. Football has just received the most press and the most confirmed cases.

@jc30116 said:

@sauceddawg said:

They have studied it in wrestling and hockey as well. A few "professional" wrestlers have a lawsuit against the wwe for concussion and cte concerns.ay have been one or two diagnosed as well.. can't remember. Football has just received the most press and the most confirmed cases.

Didn't know that. thanks

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sauceddawg said:

@jc30116 said:

@sauceddawg said:

Didn't know that. thanks

Here's a link for the wrestlers.

https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/nuka-mr-fuji-more-diagnosed-with-cte/

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@jc30116 said:

@sauceddawg said:

And soccer... Also I was listening to a football show on the radio once upon a time and they had some sort of a head doctor on it, can't recall the exact specifics now. But basically he said during his interview that soccer was sport that caused the highest rate of head injuries. I did find this article kind of going into that after I saw this thread.

https://consumer.healthday.com/cognitive-health-information-26/concussions-news-733/which-high-school-sport-has-the-most-concussions-720657.html

In sports played by both girls and boys, girls had much higher concussion rates than boys, Hsu's team found.

Between 2010 and 2015, the concussion rate was higher in girls' soccer than in boys' football, the findings showed. During the 2014-2015 school year, concussions were more common in girls' soccer than in any other sport in the study.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will have to find ways to protect players from concussions and neck injuries. But contrary to the football powers that be--it is not going to be through rules changes or reeducation on how to tackle. Equipment improvements are necessary. Don't ask me what those will be. I'm secretly working on a solution in my underground laboratory.

Seriously, if equipment can't protect kids, then eventually the game will change through necessity. Two hand touch? It won't be our game.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

ETA....unknown.

'We all got it coming kid.' lol

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll always have folk wrestling and BJJ though

And if you look at football from 1918 vs 2018 it is dang near a different game anyway. I am sure it will look pretty different a century from now. Change is not always a bad thing. Safer means guys play longer, promising careers are not cut short before they get started, and more people participate.

Will it be different? Without a doubt. But that does not inherently make it worse

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Football has definitely changed over the years but so has everything else in our world today. No way does it go away, we still thrive on the competition and I think it’s the greatest team sport period.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ftn49 said:

@jc30116 said:

@sauceddawg said:

And soccer... Also I was listening to a football show on the radio once upon a time and they had some sort of a head doctor on it, can't recall the exact specifics now. But basically he said during his interview that soccer was sport that caused the highest rate of head injuries. I did find this article kind of going into that after I saw this thread.

https://consumer.healthday.com/cognitive-health-information-26/concussions-news-733/which-high-school-sport-has-the-most-concussions-720657.html

In sports played by both girls and boys, girls had much higher concussion rates than boys, Hsu's team found.

Between 2010 and 2015, the concussion rate was higher in girls' soccer than in boys' football, the findings showed. During the 2014-2015 school year, concussions were more common in girls' soccer than in any other sport in the study.

There was a lawsuit against US Soccer a few years ago that made them change the rules for heading. No longer are you allowed to head in U-12 games and they have guidelines for how much practicing of headers. I am still surprised they have not mandated the headgear for the Goalkeepers as well.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@JayDog said:
    We will have to find ways to protect players from concussions and neck injuries. But contrary to the football powers that be--it is not going to be through rules changes or reeducation on how to tackle. Equipment improvements are necessary. Don't ask me what those will be. I'm secretly working on a solution in my underground laboratory.

Seriously, if equipment can't protect kids, then eventually the game will change through necessity. Two hand touch? It won't be our game.

I would agree with that ^^. Between plastics and ball bearings, there ought to be vast safety improvements just around the corner. As to soccer (futball) and wrestling, a rudimentary helmet should provide vast improvement. For hockey, ice and field, and pardon the expression, lacrosse, likely some more serious headgear is needed to be worn due to the sticks and puck, velocities, and such.

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

That and technology will advance in safety. Think we will see more kool advances to appreciate the collisions in measurements live.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The human brain and head were not designed to allow for significant impacts to the body or head. Physics tell us that with any type of impact, the brain remains in motion until it strikes the skull, which is not a smooth surface. With significant impacts, you get coup contracoup impact because the brain is bouncing around in the skull. All of this will be very difficult to stop in sports because the body is receiving in impact. Technology was able to reduce it in car collisions because the car is able to absorb and dissipate the energy.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

What I predict is going to happen is, sometime in the near future, some player is going to lay the wood to some player and knock him into the middle of next week and he'll end up paralyzed. It won't be a helmet-to-helmet mind you, but that won't matter. Now, this has happened before, unfortunately, but since the 'targeting' penalty has come about, you'll have another panzified faction of people coming out saying that the targeting penalty needs to be extended to 'any part of the body', so that a player is actually penalized or even ejected for making a vicious hit on an unsuspecting player instead of just, 'tackling' him. There will be a big debate over the difference in 'hitting' and 'tackling' and they'll up and say that they should never have allowed and/or encouraged players to 'hit'. So, any kind of 'hit' will be cause for ejection and players will be forced to try and 'tackle' only. This of course will change the entire perplexion of the game as it continues to get wimpified down to basically flag football.

• deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do away with the face mask and you will reduce the amount of helmet to helmet hits reducing the amount of head injuries!!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deplorabledawg said:
    Do away with the face mask and you will reduce the amount of helmet to helmet hits reducing the amount of head injuries!!

facial injuries? Eye gouging?