Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

National Fun At Work Day

donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what most of you do at your regular job, but whatever it is, it's National Fun At Work Day. Try to do something to make work a little more fun than it might ordinarily be. For those of us who have retired from the work force, I guess we can try to make it National Fun At Retirement Day. Anyone care to share what your main job is?

And for those inquiring minds who really want to know, today is also National Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day. Here's a little historical background on this amazing product.

The primary purpose of bubble wrap is to protect fragile items either in shipping or storage. People also get enjoyment from popping the bubbles in bubble wrap. Engineers Marc Chavannes and Alfred Fielding sealed two shower curtains together in 1956 in the town of Hawthorne, New Jersey. This technique created a smattering of air bubbles which the engineers initially thought would make a great wallpaper! Sales for the wallpaper never materialized, so they moved to selling the product as greenhouse insulation.
The Sealed Air Corporation was founded in 1960, but Air Cap (name before it became Bubble Wrap) wasn’t used for shipping until IBM starting shipping the 1401 computer in 1961. Bubble Wrap is a trademarked brand of Sealed Air Corporation.

Comments

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a co-worker here at my job, and he just LOVES to sneak up behind anyone who is busy and concentrating at their desk (on whatever they are working on) and then he LOUDLY POPS BUBBLE WRAP behind their head, usually scaring the holy c r a p out of them too!!!

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am home sick today, 4th day straight of being sick

not sure how to make that fun

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do programming/coding...was looking into getting into blockchain development as that was the next new thing but medical issues and being unable to type code quickly with one hand has drastically slowed me down. Working from home isn't all it's cracked up to be. Makes me want to pretend it's yesterday and have a piece of chocolate cake.

@christopherules said:
    I have a co-worker here at my job, and he just LOVES to sneak up behind anyone who is busy and concentrating at their desk (on whatever they are working on) and then he LOUDLY POPS BUBBLE WRAP behind their head, usually scaring the holy c r a p out of them too!!!

I'd find the office first aid kit, take one of those ammonia/smelling salt packets, and come up behind him and break it under his nose. That would probably solve the problem but might cause more with HR lol.

@scooterdawg yep, that would get me into some hot water for sure! LOL

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:

How does one SOFTLY pop bubble wrap? What is the DB (decibel) range of popping Bubble Wrap? Picky, but here at DNF we aim to maintain our reportorial standards. AKA, tough love!

@FirePlugDawg you are right. Tough love.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    @FirePlugDawg you are right. Tough love.

AKA, busting chops!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@christopherules said:

How does one SOFTLY pop bubble wrap? What is the DB (decibel) range of popping Bubble Wrap? Picky, but here at DNF we aim to maintain our reportorial standards. AKA, tough love!

Make sure to cite any sources you use to answer the DB range of popping bubble wrap. :)

@ghostofuga1 said:
    And btw- I am a home inspector. Nothing more fun than going into a nasty crawl space and seeing glowing eyes from a critter five feet from my face. The adrenaline rush is amazing.......

@ghostofuga1 SO THAT’S WHERE those swamp lizards hide during the off-season!!! I always did wonder???

@ghostofuga1 said:
    And btw- I am a home inspector. Nothing more fun than going into a nasty crawl space and seeing glowing eyes from a critter five feet from my face. The adrenaline rush is amazing.......

Wow. You are truly more of a man than I. I could maybe handle critters but not a fan of cornered ones or tight spaces.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@scooterdawg said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

Wow. You are truly more of a man than I. I could maybe handle critters but not a fan of cornered ones or tight spaces.

Lol.....I forgot to turn on my sarcasm font.... I always wear brown underwear when I have to do crawl spaces.....

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always have fun at work sometimes.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

I always have fun at work sometimes.

Dude! You lost your Fro...Bro!!!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First day back at work since Dec. 21. My boss works 100 miles away. Pretty much every day is fun. Not saying the previous two sentences are related.