Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Dawg Sightings around the World

TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ron Hudspeth, an AJC columnist along with Lewis Grizzard back in the 1980s, used to write a column that included, among other random fun stuff, Dawg sightings from unusual places. Thought it would be fun to hear yours in this forum.

Here’s mine: I lived in the city of Karaganda, Kazakhstan for 8 years. This was the 3rd largest gulag work camp site under Stalin during the USSR. Needless to say, if this place wasn’t the end of the earth, you could at least see it from there.

We lived, like most everyone else, in a drab Soviet apartment block where all the buildings look alike. Snow and ice covered the ground for 5 months from November through mid-April. May snowstorms were not uncommon.

One early fall day in 2012 I was walking across the courtyard when I spotted Sergei, a local guy that had done some water pipe repairs for me and also worked as a yard-man around our “micro-region.” He was wearing an old jacket with a gray and red “Georgia Bulldogs” sweat shirt!

When I asked him where he got it, he smiled and said, “подарок!” (a gift!). Who gave it to him I could never figure out!

Comments

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I write not because these places are far away but to make a suggestion.

My wife booked a bike tour of the Capital Mall area of DC. So along with our four young--uns were are pedaling around, me in the G shirt. I hear a couple of 'Go Dawgs' as we pedal by. Feels good.

Contrast, little later we are in Orlando. I see a big dude sporting the G so from me he gets a big 'Go Dawgs!'. He stares at me blankly or with zero emotion. A little later I spot another G and shout another fist-pumping 'Go Dawgs'. This guy responds but as if it was a bother.

People, we are talking Georgia Football. It is about emotion and many things. If you do not want any enthusiasm coming your way, don't wear the G!

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    I’ve stopped saying anything to people in nyc. 7 times out of 10 they’re taken aback and confused. 
    We are gonna have our fair share of fair weather fans soon
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    Here in Chesapeake, Va, there is one local HS called Grassfield. Their mascot is a Grizzly and yup, a power G on the helmet. Dark blue on white background. Often get a " Georgia or Grassfield"? when sporting a G. Always give a "Go Dawgs"! in reply.

I think I told about the time a good little redneck girl in Windsor started yelling "Go Dawgs " across a Food Lion parking lot when she saw my Dawg shirt.
  • DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

'a good little redneck girl in Windsor started yelling "Go Dawgs " across a Food Lion parking lot'

That is how it should be. The G and Red and Black should be worn with a certain reverence or do not wear them. Not just something to grab out of the drawer.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    No drawer for my stuff.  Hangers in the closet! This is Virginia Tech country and they still get POed when I bring up the Chick-fil-A bowl from 2006. Alot of Dawgs in the area though. 
  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    My most remote encounter was in the upper peninsula of Michigan while on a bird hunting trip.  We were about as far North as you would find pavement when I spotted a mailbox that was red and black with the Power G.   
  • chinadawgchinadawg Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2019

@TurkDawg - my brother is a UGA grad and lived in Karaganda in the late 90’s. Maybe that sweatshirt came from him? :)

• brady01brady01 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Same. Passed a guy hiking in the grand tetons today with a G shirt and an Alumni hat. He got a high five and a go dawgs from me. 😁😁
  • dgdawgdgdawg Posts: 242 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Spent a week in Jamaica and saw a fair share. I'm used to seeing Alabama. That's what you get for living in the panhandle.
  • jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    I ran into a fellow dawg fan in Melbourne Australia back in 01-02 when I was living there. Remember being at work one day and seeing the G flying outside a house I was delivering to. Found out after multiple deliveries that the guy graduated from UGA and moved to Australia in the 80s and never looked back. Always invited me over if he was having a cookout. Being the time it was, streaming wasn't available but I did hear about the Hobnail Boot call and found it on the internet. Man he lit up like a kid in a candy store when he heard that call.
  • BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Wife and I walked into one of the bar / restaurant at the resort in Cancun and I had my UGA shirt and hat on. All of a sudden we hear, “Go Dawgs!” We shared many a drink that week!
  • TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019
    @chinadawg Maybe so! 
    Speaking of that, when we moved into our flat in Karaganda there was an Auburn afghan in the closet. It was from a couple whose two sons played football for both Auburn and Alabama on opposite teams in the 80s!