Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia at South Carolina: Updates and analysis

sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am looking live at Colonial Life Arena here in Columbia, S.C., where Georgia will perhaps find another gut-wrenching way to lose a key game.

This is one that Georgia could really, really use, given the missed chances at Kentucky, Texas A&M and Florida. This game is followed by a home game against Florida and a trip to surging Tennessee. At minimum, I think Georgia needs a win in one of those three in order to stay even in the conversation for an NCAA bid. Win two of them, and the Bulldogs would be in even better shape.

I spoke to someone close to the team yesterday that says the team remains confident, and sees the Kentucky game as further evidence that it can play with anybody in the game. But obviously it needs to figure out a way to close out some of these teams. Actually not some at this point. Georgia has little margin for error left, when it has a team down, it needs to put them away and win.

This one will be tough. South Carolina has a sellout crowd, and won by six in the first game in Athens. Check in here over the next two hours for my observations.

Comments

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I need to see if I can find the game on my TV here up north. SEC Network?

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

National anthem was performed by elementary kids playing IPads. Yes, we're at that point. (They're called the IPad ensemble, and they did a good job. The South Carolina students sang the final few lines too.)

Turtle Jackson remains the starter at point guard for the third straight game. We're about to tip off.

@JayDog said:
    I need to see if I can find the game on my TV here up north. SEC Network?

ESPN2.

Yante Maten picks up a foul and some sort of injury to his leg on the game's first possession.

Yeah, that's a bad start.

It looks like Maten will come back in the game. Not sure if it was a cramp or a bruise, but he never went back to the locker room. The athletic trainer took him into the tunnel and stretched his leg for a minute and then Maten wen to the bench.

Maten back i the game at the 17:04 mark. He replaces Ogebide, who had four rebounds in the first three minutes.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What little I follow of basketball is not enough to judge the situation with Coach Fox. I'm wondering if he is on the hot seat now? He's been here six or seven years hasn't he? It just seems from the headlines and our wins/losses, that we are not that strong a team.

South Carolina is 1-for-4 from beyond the arc, while Georgia hasn't attempted a 3 yet. It hasn't had to yet, and leads 8-5.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good grief. So many missed two-footers. If Ogebide (or Edwards) could just consistently make layups, Georgia would be so much better.

J.J. Frazier with a bad decision just now: Getting the ball on the break, with one man on him, he pulled up and took a long 2, a bad decision on two levels. It missed, and Georgia missed a chance to extend its early lead. Mark Fox just took him out, along with a couple other players.

I'd say Georgia needs to figure out a way to get a hand in Thornwell's face. He's hit three straight 3s, and South Carolina has a 14-11 lead.

3-point defense remains a problem for Georgia, as South Carolina is 5-for-9 beyond the arc. Georgia is playing very well otherwise, but trails 19-17.

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    Good grief. So many missed two-footers. If Ogebide (or Edwards) could just consistently make layups, Georgia would be so much better.

Yeah I meant to point this out too. A lot of chippies missed, including one by Maten.

@sethemerson said:
    I'd say Georgia needs to figure out a way to get a hand in Thornwell's face. He's hit three straight 3s, and South Carolina has a 14-11 lead.

Bad perimeter defense. Strategy seems to be let them take open 3s and just hope they miss. Thornwell killed them in Athens, too.

Georgia now with six turnovers, which along with the close misses early in the game is a lot of missed opportunities.

Despite that, the Bulldogs only trailing 24-23 with 7:34 to go in the half. They're moving the ball pretty well against South Carolina's defense - which is its calling card - and have gotten some 3s by Harris and then Frazier.

But South Carolina is pretty good, so Georgia is going to have to play pretty well to win. That means clamping down on the turnovers, and maybe forcing some on the other end. (South Carolina only has one.)

So Juwan Parker gets a three-point play when officials call a block, when it looked like one of those coin-clip block-charge calls. And I believe it may have gone that way because Mark Fox worked the refs after Parker was called for traveling on the previous possession. Yeah, I believe officials work via momentum, and do so a lot.

Anyway, tie game here with 3:51 left in the half.

Just remembered the end of the Florida, Texas A&M, and Kentucky games.....Why am I watching this?

Halftime: Georgia and South Carolina tied at 38. In the first game down in Athens, South Carolina led 36-34.

Both teams are shooting the 3 well - South Carolina's just shooting more of them. it's 7-for-14, while Georgia is 3-for-5.

Georgia is dominating the glass, 21-13, but isn't taking care of the ball, committing nine turnovers while only forcing five.

All in all, a back-and-forth and even affair thus far.

Yante Maten picks up his third foul with 17:32 left. Two quick fouls to start the half. Fox leaving him in for now.

Georgia hasn't scored on its first four possessions of the half.

A really nice drive and pass-out by Frazier, who finds Harris wide open, and he drills the 3 to put Georgia back up, 45-44.

E'Torrion Wilridge also came in for the first time, as Fox sneaks some rest for Maten and Ogbeide. So Wilridge is again getting minutes at power forward, rather than Houston Kessler, who's usually the second big man off the bench. Kessler and Kenny Paul Geno have yet to play today.