Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Who are you "allowed" to root for?

BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have had this discussion with many people and want to know what y'all think. I moved to Georgia when I was 6 and UGA won a National Championship. I was hooked. I have been a die hard DAWG ever since. I am now 46. I LOVE MY DAWGS. However, though I was accepted to UGA, I stayed in Atlanta and went to GSU. I have a Tennessee fan who told me that I am not a "real" fan because I did not go there. I bleed red and black, been to many games, have taught my kids about all of the boys who have lined up on Saturdays. Heck, I have even been fortunate enough to have coached 3 kids who have played at UGA. However, there are many who feel that I am not a real fan because I never went there. I say that it a bunch of horse s**t.

If you want to root for dang Wyoming University, you should be able to...whether you went there or not.

Thoughts?

Comments

• dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My great grandmother went to UGA and my mom had a scholarship there but she had a full ride to UTC and she didn’t have the money so she went to UTC. We bleed red and black and always will.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First, there is no way all those toothless hillbillies you see on TV at UT games, went/graduated from there. Secondly, if that were true UT's 100,000 capacity stadium would be about 1/3 full every Saturday. Lastly, only Alumni would be able to coach at a school, because obviously a school's coach pulls for his own team.

Never went to UGA, but was born and raised in GA and will always be a Dawg fan.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What if your a Falcons or Braves fan? Can you not be a true fan of them cause you didn't play for them? Tennessee hillbillies make no sense at all. Keep doing you, @BiffLowman . I went to the Citadel and I've been a Dawg fan since I was in middle school. Hate Florida and Georgia Tech. You do you, my friend.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had been accepted to school there, but went to play ball elsewhere.
    I’d venture to say, I’m more passionate than a majority of fans.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgsofWar, you are a double Dawg. Good on ya.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA rejected my application. GT accepted me. I didn't go to either. I also don't let other people tell me what Im allowed to think or feel. Root for who you love

• FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like your typical Tennessee fan, clueless as always. I have lived in Georgia my entire life but never attended the university and I am a long time UGA fan. It reminds me that the color orange is not the only thing Tennessee and Clemson has in common, their tractor driving, cousin kissing fans are two of a kind.

• KingoftheSouthKingoftheSouth Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I went to UGA and I root for in some order:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    2b) whoever is playing bama
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    6) Georgia schools other than UGA
    7) whoever is playing Florida
    8) whoever is playing Ohio state
    9) the team with the best uniforms
    10) the over

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

This is close to my list also.

And I always say my college didn’t have a football team so I’m allowed

• afroche4afroche4 Posts: 44 ✭✭✭ Junior

I happened to go to graduate from Georgia, but I have friends that are also alumni who couldn't care less about what happens on Saturdays in the fall. I also have friends who didn't go to Georgia who are just as die hard as I am. If you see a someone on the street wearing the power G do you ask him/her if they when to school there? Or do you say "Go Dawgs"? If you get a "Go Dawgs!" back, then thats a DGD.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

After last weekend I think that 7 and 9 are duplicates :)

• TheOneKnownasBrianTheOneKnownasBrian Posts: 105 ✭✭✭ Junior

How awesome is it that that's the best thing Tennessee can come up with to complain about to Georgia fans!

It is indeed a good time to be a DAWG!!!!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TheOneKnownasBrian said:
    How awesome is it that that's the best thing Tennessee can come up with to complain about to Georgia fans!

It is indeed a good time to be a DAWG!!!!

Well be fair, even the UT fans think that the other UT fans are obnoxious and don't want to talk to them

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

Kasey,,,where the heck did you go to school? It seems like more and more schools are adding football these days.

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

Kasey,,,where the heck did you go to school? It seems like more and more schools are adding football these days.

Went to Augusta State Univeristy for a bit and then finished at city college in New York.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

Went to Augusta State Univeristy for a bit and then finished at city college in New York.

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

Ah, ASU. Better known for some basketball and some golf.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

From Georgia but got drafted into the Military so ended up going to Memphis State (Now just Memphis) after my time in the Military. Just did not have the opportunity at the time to move back and attend UGA....but my Son and Daughter in Law did....I will always bleed Red and Black

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I grew up a Dawg. All my neighbors were Dawgs. Their kids were Dawgs. When I was eight a freshman named Herschel was the only thing I talked about. Kevin Butler was my hero. By the time I was in high school I couldn't wait to be the kicker for the Dawgs. Alas, they had some guy named John Kasay and a guy coming in behind him named Todd Peterson (if I'm honest, I have to admit that they were probably better than me... well, maybe Kasay).
    I played soccer at a small college and transferred to Auburn's architecture school (I sure as heck wasn't going to Tech). I proudly rooted for Zeier and Hearst and Hastings.
    I married a fourth generation Georgia Bulldog and raised my two girls to be daughters of the red and black. I've donated to the Hartman fund and my license plate says "SIC M"
    But I don't have a degree from Georgia. Maybe when my youngest gets though school I'll go there to get a doctorate... at age 65.

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

@Kasey said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@KingoftheSouth said:

1) Georgia
    2) whoever benefits UGa
    3) whoever I bet on
    4) underdogs
    5) Mike Leach
    10) the over

Ah, ASU. Better known for some basketball and some golf.

And some horrendous name changes

• thehutch40thehutch40 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I didn't go to UGA but I was never given a choice as to which team I supported. Both parents went to UGA and my old man played baseball and walked on for football as well. Pretty sure he would disown me if I became a fan of some other school. Heck, my mom got her doctorate from Bama and he still gives grief for it. I got into UGA but I wanted to play baseball in college and wasn't good enough to get a scholarship at that level so I went to an awesome school just down 441, but I'll be a DGD for as long as the good lord lets me.