Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How AU shut down GA

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/14/16644524/auburn-georgia-game-2017-alabama-sec-championship

Love the visuals and the breakdown. Thought I would share. I saw time and time again on another thread "why didn't UGA do this or why didn't they try that". This article is for y'all.

Comments

• JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only problem is we knew certain things wasn’t working why didn’t we try something different? No screens, very few slants, we just kept trying to run up the middle!!!

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hated the play calling, but gettin beat up at the LOS on both sides of the ball is just as much of a concern. At least it took 10 wks for someone to physically outdo us for a week.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Jesupdawg Yeah I'll give you the RPO argument. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how many they ran but I can specifically remember at least half a dozen or so against USCjr but probably more than that. Those quick outs, slants, etc. Had Ridley hauled in that long pass, things could have opened up more but we could not block a freaking 4 man rush. Cheney never has utilized the screen though.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Can’t change the past now. But can definitely use this to gameplan for the rematch.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Screens and RPOs are addressed in the article. The conclusion I draw from this.is that all the people who were complaining about dynamic offense even when we were winning, the ones others shouted down saying it wasn't necessary, were onto something. There wasn't much else.

And that's fine against defenses that aren't top 10, but if ya want to be the man...

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 is spot on. Auburn hasn't played that way all season. If they had they'd be blowing out everyone. We did a lot of things to hurt ourselves. I could list them all but everyone on this board is well aware. I actually re-watched the game last night and was actually strangely encouraged. We had significant breakdowns in all phases, doing things that have been uncharacteristic for this team. We'll see how we respond, but I think the stage is set for us to redeem ourselves.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:
    @UnderDog68 is spot on. Auburn hasn't played that way all season. If they had they'd be blowing out everyone. We did a lot of things to hurt ourselves. I could list them all but everyone on this board is well aware. I actually re-watched the game last night and was actually strangely encouraged. We had significant breakdowns in all phases, doing things that have been uncharacteristic for this team. We'll see how we respond, but I think the stage is set for us to redeem ourselves.

Technically, Auburn has been playing that way all season. Out of the 10 games, they've scored 40+ points against opposing teams. They've only had two teams score 27 points on them all season - LSU and A&M. The two teams they have lost to was reigning NC Clemson and LSU. This Auburn team is legit. Georgia could have played better, but they didn't.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2017

"Prince, how are you going to stop that front seven?"

• madboy76madboy76 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Noticed under #2. The first two plays, the check down was there. Fromm just had no time (wings can't block). The fourth play, Wynn was running right across the middle on the 1st down marker. Recognition!

• TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Cool visuals but on two of them we ran for over 4 yards. Isn’t that normally considered a successful play on 2nd down?

@madboy76 said:
    Noticed under #2. The first two plays, the check down was there. Fromm just had no time (wings can't block). The fourth play, Wynn was running right across the middle on the 1st down marker. Recognition!

U mean Wims?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:
    U mean Wims?

Didn't Isaiah report as eligible once or twice? :wink:

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Technically, Auburn has been playing that way all season. Out of the 10 games, they've scored 40+ points against opposing teams. They've only had two teams score 27 points on them all season - LSU and A&M. The two teams they have lost to was reigning NC Clemson and LSU. This Auburn team is legit. Georgia could have played better, but they didn't.

I disagree. I've watched several of their games this season. They've had several moments of dominance on D, particularly the DL. They've also had moments of being very explosive on O and hard to handle. However, they haven't consistently put both of those two together for 4 quarters like they did on Saturday. If that were the case they'd have beaten LSU by at least 2 TDs. Don't forget there were whispers that Malzahn was coaching for his job the last 3-4 weeks ago. That narrative can't be simply flipped after the fact. Auburn has been a talented but inconsistent team for most of the season. They put it all together against us, though (save their poor punt coverage). I think they look very good and will give Bama all they want next weekend.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The TE's are part of the pass offense--even if they have not been targeted much. In Jeff Sentell's article on Ryan Goede, here is what Ryan said he was told by the coaches regarding TE's:

“I got to go in and watch the film with [tight ends coach Shane] Beamer after the South Carolina game on Sunday morning,” Goede said. “We went through and he explained to me there were about six or seven plays in the game plan which were designed for a tight end but were thrown off because of a penalty or an offensive lineman had a [missed assignment] or something just went wrong. According to him, Georgia is still designing stuff for its tight ends. It is just not progressing to what they want it to be.”