Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football podcast: Anonymous coach blames UGA offense for Jake Fromm's draft slide

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football podcast: Anonymous coach blames UGA offense for Jake Fromm's draft slide

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest

Read the full story here

Comments

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just one more reason to stay that senior year-- deeper support cast of players + better coaches = better year = higher draft pick. But Jake's gonna do what Jake does-- beat the odds, and hold his own in The League.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jake makes things happen. He will with the Bills. I am going out on a proverbial limb and say he probably won't be there long. Just a hunch. Could be wrong. I had a gut check when the Bills took him. They couldn't pass him up...for what? They have a young QB now and a fair back-up. Jake is a field general...smart....he can help out in off-field areas that need direction, says GM....for how long? He will be traded within 3-5 years...and that's a good thing. Don't cable me to the pillory...just a sensing. He has so much talent on the field.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love Jake Fromm -- as the quarterback of the University of Georgia Bulldogs. I believe his selection in the 5th round is appropriate, slightly behind his partner in crime, Jacob Eason, who went in the fourth round. Both got selected where they should have been. We UGA fans love our own players and rightly so. But over the years, we tend to overvalue their worth at the professional level -- and so do many of them, quite frankly. we loved Aaron Murray, D.J. Shockley, Eric Zeier and a couple of others. All of them had a cup of coffee in the NFL and then made a quick exit. Do we have stars? Of course we do. But many of the guys we pump up (or that writers pump up) are not viewed on the same level as we see them. As a group, UGA players have been able to do great things. As individual players, NFL representative see them much differently. And those guys won't last long if they keep making mistakes in judgment so they must know things that we don't. I hope and pray Jake does well with Buffalo and becomes and All-Pro. He just may. But regardless of how well he does or doesn't do, he didn't "slip" to the fifth round. He was picked right where he should have been. Go Dawgs!

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Two items. One, on the offense, some stats from the "results" category. Hot Rod's PATs and FGAs (field goal attempts): 2018: 65 PATs, 23 FGAs / 2019: 46 PATs, 33 FGAs. That's a drop off of 19 PATs (touchdowns) in a year. FGAs 2016: 18, 2017: 23, 2018: 23, 2019: 33. Pretty clear 2019 saw a serious drop off in offensive production, especially when it came to getting the ball into the end zone.

Second item: Jake Fromm. The Bills are thrilled to have him (per the Bills Wire and exec comments). That's the first thing. But also, if you check the Pats chatter, report is that NWE had Fromm as their top QB choice (at 23) and, when they didn't take him, folks knew they were not drafting a QB (waited until post-draft to sign a UDFA).

Jake will determine how he fares in the NFL but a number of scouts believed, and presumably still believe, that he was the most NFL-ready QB in the draft this year, including Joe Burrow. But, as in all things, the proof will be revealed on the field. I expect Jake will be just fine and don't be surprised to see him push Josh Allen - who's a notorious head-case.

But hey, comment pages are fun. We get to debate sports. What's better than that? By the way, found this interesting: there are 17 players in the Hall of Fame who were undrafted. Just goes to show, nobody has all the answers.