Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Hello from Nashville

sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've been here a couple days, actually, which you've hopefully gathered from all the stories I've written. But with Georgia actually paying today, I'll be providing updates on the NCAA picture. Here's a primer:

https://www.dawgnation.com/mens-basketball/georgias-ncaa-hopes-stand-entering-thursday

I'll start a separate thread for the Georgia-Tennessee game. If Georgia loses that, then I probably won't provide any more NCAA bubble updates. It'll be over for Georgia at that point. But if Georgia wins, hope is alive and updates will come.

Comments

• SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,535 mod

@sethemerson - If you were a betting man would you put money on Maten playing or nah?

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@SavageDawg17 said:
    @sethemerson - If you were a betting man would you put money on Maten playing or nah?

I'm pretty sure he'll play, just not sure how much. If I had to guess right now I'd say around 10-15 minutes.

Probable starting lineups have been passed out, and Maten isn't on there. That's not surprising: Georgia practiced yesterday with the same starting 5 as the past few games: Frazier, Jackson, Parker, Wilridge, Ogbeide.

But .... those are only probable starting lineups. Mark Fox hasn't told anybody either way whether Maten will start.

Injury news, but for Tennessee: Point guard Shembari Phillips, a sophomore from Atlanta, looks like he may not play today. He's suited up but not participating in warm-ups, just rebounding for teammates.

Phillips started the most recent game at point guard, but has come off the bench most of the season. He's averaging 6.2 points and 3.1 rebounds per game. The reason he started the Alabama game was for defensive purposes. So if he's out, then that's even better news for J.J. Frazier.

Watching Georgia warm up right now, Yante Maten is going through everything, the way he did yesterday, and I just saw him go up and dunk (lightly). He appeared to wince slightly when he came down.

edited March 2017

Now hearing that Tennessee's Shembari Phillips is definitely out today after tweaking his ankle in practice. Phillips started 13 games this season, and was supposed to be the main defender on J.J. Frazier.

Just saw Yante Maten drain a 3. He looks fine, but again there's a difference between warm-ups and game action when you're taking contact and colliding with people.

Yante Maten not in the official starting lineup. It's the expected starting five:

PG-Turtle Jackson
    SG-J.J. Frazier
    SF-Juwan Parker
    PF-E"Torrion Wilridge
    C-Derek Ogbeide

Third-most fans in the building right now: Georgia.
    Second-most: Tennessee.
    The most: Kentucky.

edited March 2017

Said earlier I'd do a separate thread for the game, but changed my mind. Let's keep it here. Tip off in moments.

A bit surprised that Tennessee opened in man defense, given the absence of Phillips and the concerns that Rick Barnes has about his guards defensively. But zone also would've helped Georgia, with Frazier's outside shooting.

Yante Maten checks in at 17:42 mark.

And Maten nails a 3 from the top of the key to give Georgia a 5-0 lead. (Although his first act was to be called for an offensive foul on a clear-out. And he later got called for a traveling.)

Bad offensive start for both teams: Tennessee is 0-for-6 from the field, while Georgia has four turnovers. J.J. Frazier has missed his only shot so far, a 3 from the top of the key.

Obviously a good start for Georgia, but at some point Tennessee's going to get going. Georgia has to iron things out.

Tyree Crump checking in at the 15:58 mark. Maten out.

Boy, this is not a great display of basketball.

Maten is 2-for-2 from the floor. The rest of the team is 1-for-6.

The bad news for Georgia: Its looked very disjointed, and the only reason it holds a 9-7 lead is Tennessee has been worse.

The good news for Georgia: Frazier is scoreless and will almost certainly get going soon. And Maten looks fine.

J.J. Frazier's firsrt points: A 3 pointer that goes in and out and then back in the rim, tying the game at 12 with 9:18 left in the half.

Lamonte Turner, who came in averaging 8.1 points for Tennessee, already has 10.

I continue to wonder why Pape Diatta doesn't play more: He just drilled a 3 on the break (off a nice pass-out from Frazier) to put Georgia back ahead, 17-16. That was five straight points from the bench.

In fact, 12 of Georgia's 17 points are from the bench so far.