Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart reveals his role in Georgia offense, looks to avoid 'boat race'

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said on here after we struggled with Tennessee for a half that Bama would march into Knoxville and beat Tenn by 28. Well they beat them by 31. It was never in question. And BAMA lost their star Waddle on the opening kick-off. BAMA just a better overall team than UGA. Lot better at QB, receivers, RB, and O-Line. We're better on defense but defense can't be on the field all game and you are not just going to line up and run it down BAMA's throat all game. Better properly assess your QB situation. Another throttling awaits us in Atlanta if you don't. And that is if we can get by Florida. They have a really good QB too.

• RighteousRighteous Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Saban is older than Kirby yet he adjusts his thought process and understands that defense in college football doesn't win games anymore you have to be able to score and still try to limit the other team as much as you can. Saban realizes the top athletes play on the offensive side and the rules favor the offense. I like Kirby but he has to wake up and stop being stubborn you would think Saban was the younger coach. LSU should have been the wake up call last year, but he still doesn't get it.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Please! Some of you offensive geniuses tell everyone how you would have used Mathis or Daniels that would have put up all these points against Bama! Losing to Bama may hurt but losing to Arkansas if we had stuck with Mathis because he has a “higher ceiling” than Bennett would have been miserable and would have put us back into the Richt years of spending November trying to figure out how we could back into the SECCG.

The fact is that the QB position consists of a former walk on, even with his limitations, is better than a RS freshman, true freshman, and a damaged goods transfer.

What is Kirby supposed to say that would make you people happy? “Our fans want to see our other quarterbacks get their chance because the former walk on has limitations, so to make our fans happy, we are not going to play the QB who the coaches believe gives our team the best chance to use the rest of the offensive players to win games. We will play the QBs the fans want to see regardless of their work in practice even if it means throwing away a chance to play in the SECCG and more. Obviously, our fans miss the years of the previous HC when they knew before the season even started that they would be spending the holidays in Orlando at best or maybe Charlotte or even Shreveport.”

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Maybe you should apply as HC......i find it amusing that everything is fine as long as the DAWGS are winning. But 1 loss brings out all of the "expert coaches" with opinions on what's wrong, and how to correct it. Thanks for the laugh!

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Smart has a big wall and continues to write all over it. When he sat Justin Fields for too long in protection of Jake Fromm, I knew he did not have the cojones (or whatever) to make the needed decision to get his offense over the hump. At this point, I just wonder does he last longer than Richt? This year is a wash, next year Vandagriff is not coming to save them, so it could be 4-5 years before he has that prototypical QB required to win the Natty.

Can anyone point out one or two noteworthy moves/adjustments that he has made since being at UGA? Great recruiter, average coach.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I never said anything about how we would "put up all these points" but I would have recognized my starter was struggling badly and given the other guy a shot. That is what got Bennett in the game in the first place. His throws were short, he badly missed open targets, he was intercepted 3 times and hit the offensive live over and over and over.

Maybe Bennett doesn't deserve to lose his starting role but it was obvious we needed a change-up. Kirby said he would be doing that at the beginning of the year and then when it is actually needed......poof.

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2020

Most of us are not complaining about Bennett or any other QB on the team. It’s about how we got into this mess in the first place and how backwards Kirby’s O philosophy is if he even has one. If you’re ok with either of these things, you’re in extreme denial. I don’t know what I would do now, we are stuck. I’m just ticked we are where we are.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

After watching Justin Fields play almost a flawless game against Nebraska I can't help but wonder how we could let this most talented kid go. It really was the downfall of our offense and led us to where we are today. If he were on this team we would be like LSU last year.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How did we get into this mess? Our three year starting QB made a horrible decision to turn pro. The transfer QB Dawg fans and the media were so giddy about opted out. A damaged goods transfer has not been ready to play. Due to COVID, we had no spring ball and the athletic facilities were shut down so there were no player-organized practices over the summer so our young QBs had no supervised or any other development until fall practice. Mathis proved that his crash course in being a starter was not enough preparation to get the job done. The most experienced QB that gives the Dawgs the best chance to win is a small former walk on. Really, pretty simple!

Compare Kirby’s first four years playing in the SEC to Dabo’s playing in the All Cupcake Conference then we can talk about who is in “denial”!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pour UGA, list all the excuses COvid, blah,blah,blah, and tell them to BAMA, FLA, Clemson. Poor us. Our best receiver last year was a 5th year senior transfer(lucky to get him). Not in our system. Pickens was a last second flip on signing day. If not for that last second **** of luck and a transfer then we had Blaylock and MATT LANDERS, what a drop off.

Fields may have still been here had CKS given him enough playing time to make him feel of value to the team and been in his ear that he was going to be the guy this year. CKS said and I quote" Fields-He didn't show him that much in practice!?!" Seriously? Is that your way of trying to save face? On why you allowed 2 - 5 star QB's to leave and simply go elsewhere? Maybe Eason I get it. But Fields? And now the young man will be a 1st round draft pick next year, 2nd QB drafted! Something is wrong here. Stop making excuses for CKS. He's not gotten the talented receiver core that we should have and he has let the better talented QB transfer. We are starting a walk-on!! Un-freaking real. He's got a little game in him, he would be a really good QB for Troy St. or GA. State, but for UGA?

I'm not calling for CKS to be fired. He's just got to do better at assessing and training talented young QB's. Carson Beck has all the tools and was Florida Player of the Year his Junior year. His best receivers left on scholarships his senior year. I would be OK with playing him a lot to see if he could be the guy next season. Get him some confidence going heading into next season. It worked for Saban with his present QB. We might make it to the SEC CG but we won't beat BAMA . Not good enough on offense to stay up with theirs and unless we can put up 40 to rest our defense, they will be on the field too many times after 2 runs up the middle and a sideways pass for 2 yards and a punt.

Shoot the hooch-So you believe it’s just bad luck that we’re in this mess? Are you that naive? There is not another top 10 team that is dealing with a QB situation like we are... and in fact have been, moreso a top 5 team that we compare ourselves to. We mismanage the QB room pure and simple! In fact we mismanage the O pure and simple. Fromm is not dumb. Why do you think he left knowing he was a late round pick? Why wouldn’t Fields stick around another year with it being obvious he was better than Fromm and could take us places Fromm couldn’t with the O? We’ve had 3 5-star QBs in the last 4 years and yet not one of them has become the QB.... is that just bad luck too?

Again... the situation we are in IS simple...we’re an elite team stuck without an elite QB. How we got here IS NOT simple. But Kirby is mostly responsible. Am I the only one who is seeing it this way?

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How we got here is quite simple. KS chose to play the less talented, but somewhat less risky QB in Fromm instead of doing what Dabo did and turn the keys over to Fields. Dabo knew that Kelly Bryant was less risky, but Lawrence had the higher upside. In much the same way, Saban did the same thing when picking Tua over Jalen Hurts.

No one in the “press” covering the team is forcing KS to defend his QB evaluation. How is it possible that Mathis showed enough to be the starter game one, but get pulled after a slow start? The question needs to be asked each time KS does an interview. He may not want to engage in a shootout, but once the other team does, you have no choice.

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby is royally screwing this up . He is a good recruiter and defense coach, but it seems his main strategy for offense is to not go boat racing and most of all don't take a chance by giving your best QB talent a chance to play.

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby choosing the starting QB is PROBLEM. LET MONKEN DO HIS FREAKIN JOB AND GET OUT OF THE WAY KIRBY