Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Details of Riley Ridley's arrest

sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Story posted a bit ago, but thought I'd post it here too.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/update-details-georgia-receiver-riley-ridleys-arrest

Based on the police report, would certainly seem the 1-game suspension will be coming, unless extenuating circumstances come out later. Not sure what those could be.

We can argue whether UGA should even have this policy - and many will and should - but for now it does have the policy.

Comments

• BradDogBradDog Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

To get a buzz on a trip to six flags with a Date on college spring break is shocking! How dare he!

Get real hypocrites.

Matthew 23King James Version (KJV)

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@sethemerson said:

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/update-details-georgia-receiver-riley-ridleys-arrest

Based on the police report, would certainly seem the 1-game suspension will be coming, unless extenuating circumstances come out later. Not sure what those could be.

We can argue whether UGA should even have this policy - and many will and should - but for now it does have the policy.

Seth, can you please ask ADGM why we have, what the fans consider, a **** marijuana policy so he can show you his shocked face again?

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BradDog said:
    To get a buzz on a trip to six flags with a Date on college spring break is shocking! How dare he!

Get real hypocrites.

Who's being a hypocrite? The fact is there are a lot of laws we don't like. When you violate one, you might have to pay the consequence. Unfortunately, the team will have to share that consequence by losing Riley. Whether the law is right or wrong, better judgement says don't let your teammates down--don't violate the law.

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@moos said:

@sethemerson said:

Seth, can you please ask ADGM why we have, what the fans consider, a **** marijuana policy so he can show you his shocked face again?

It's definitely something worth exploring. It's become clear that the rest of the SEC isn't going to move its policy closer to UGA, as the school hoped a few years ago. And the national climate has changed too.

That said, as long as you have a policy, you're supposed to enforce it.

@sethemerson said:

@moos said:

@sethemerson said:

It's definitely something worth exploring. It's become clear that the rest of the SEC isn't going to move its policy closer to UGA, as the school hoped a few years ago. And the national climate has changed too.

That said, as long as you have a policy, you're supposed to enforce it.

If it is not one substance it will be another. People's attitudes have changed surrounding marijuana, but the law is the law. Change the law and the problem goes away.

@JayDog said:

@BradDog said:

Get real hypocrites.

Who's being a hypocrite? The fact is there are a lot of laws we don't like. When you violate one, you might have to pay the consequence. Unfortunately, the team will have to share that consequence by losing Riley. Whether the law is right or wrong, better judgement says don't let your teammates down--don't violate the law.

Every person that tailgates and drinks a beer is a hypocrite.

@BradDog said:

@JayDog said:

@BradDog said:

Get real hypocrites.

Every person that tailgates and drinks a beer is a hypocrite.

I'm not following your argument. To be a hypocrite is to pretend you have moral standards that your practices don't reflect. Regardless, those who drink do so legally. I may be wrong but I believe a DUI would get a suspension as well. I think that is the issue with the policy at UGA--it is about arrests.

Should the school ignore arrests for drugs or alcohol? Should they ignore arrests altogether? Personally, I'm torn on the issue. One part of me wants to say, "innocent until proven guilty." But then you have a pending court appearance hanging over your team and that can bite you during a championship run. Another part of me wants to say, "arrests for violations of the law will be met with strict penalty" because that is perhaps a better deterrent from violating the law in the first place. I don't know if it is really a deterrent--but I understand the intent of UGA's policy.

"I'm not following your argument. To be a hypocrite is to pretend you have moral standards that your practices don't reflect. "

You should have stopped right there.

Morals and law...well, i left you a Bible verse above.

• Pete1975Pete1975 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tailgating and beer drinking are LEGAL! Tailgating and marijuana are illegal. Just telling it like it is.

@BradDog said:
    "I'm not following your argument. To be a hypocrite is to pretend you have moral standards that your practices don't reflect. "

Cryptic. The law is based on morals. Morals are based on what is considered right and wrong in society or community. Matthew 23 is a lengthy passage, but if you are referring to the part about pretending to be righteous, so what? I still don't see how this makes a person who drinks a hypocrite in regard to marijuana.

Are you are saying UGA should not have a policy on marijuana arrests because marijuana should be legal? Or are you saying there should be no law or moral standards? I am interested in what you are saying :)

@JayDog said:

@BradDog said:

Cryptic. The law is based on morals. Morals are based on what is considered right and wrong in society or community. Matthew 23 is a lengthy passage, but if you are referring to the part about pretending to be righteous, so what? I still don't see how this makes a person who drinks a hypocrite in regard to marijuana.

Are you are saying UGA should not have a policy on marijuana arrests because marijuana should be legal? Or are you saying there should be no law or moral standards? I am interested in what you are saying :)

What I am saying is "legal" does not preclude hypocrisy.

Yes, in theory Law is based on Morals...but infallible it is not. The philosophical realm of "Natural Law" is a grande lifetime investigation.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog I agree he broke a rule and it let the team down. I don't agree that it's as easy as "don't break the rule". We are talking about kids. Rule breaking happens all the time. I'm sure you can agree that UGA policy should loosen to reflect that.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BradDog said:

@JayDog said:

@BradDog said:

What I am saying is "legal" does not preclude hypocrisy.

Yes, in theory Law is based on Morals...but infallible it is not. The philosophical realm of "Natural Law" is a grande lifetime investigation.

Not to get into a theological argument...but if you are citing Mathew 23, then you also need to look at Romans 13:1-7. Agree or not, the current law in place deems marijuana illegal and alcohol as legal. That being the case, using the Bible as a reference, IMO, doesn't support your comment about being a hypocrite.

edited March 2017

@Dawgsauce said:
    @JayDog I agree he broke a rule and it let the team down. I don't agree that it's as easy as "don't break the rule". We are talking about kids. Rule breaking happens all the time. I'm sure you can agree that UGA policy should loosen to reflect that.

Respectfully--Here my friend we will disagree. Young people enter the military at age 18 and follow a whole lot more rules than not doing a recreational drug that is illegal. Will they make mistakes? Of course. But the rules exist for a reason. In the military they are there to save lives. They can be followed with discipline.

The reason for UGA's rule is, I'm guessing, to keep these kids out of more serious trouble. Should it be changed? Yes. It could be less strict for a first offense or for misdemeanor offenses. But if the rule exists to protect and teach discipline, it has a good purpose.

If marijuana were legal it would all go away. Trouble is--it is not. Our feelings about the substance don't matter. Being arrested for breaking a law I know these kids have be educated to steer clear of deserves some penalty. Maybe Riley should do 100 push-ups for every tiny bag of weed they found. Seems to work pretty well in the military.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do not think the military's discipline keeps soldiers from using marijuana.

@donm said:
    I do not think the military's discipline keeps soldiers from using marijuana.

That may be, but there is still a consequence if arrested for it, is there not? Hey, I don't think that weed is any worse than alcohol. Eventually, probably in the next few years, it will be legalized in most states. And I do think UGA's policy should be less strict for misdemeanors and first offenses. It should not be a one game suspension. That much I think I'm in agreement with many of my friends here.

But when it comes to matters of discipline, I don't care what the rule is--you follow it if you want to follow it. If you care about consequences, it becomes a good deterrent. Seems to me that is the problem. Some people who think marijuana should be legal don't respect the law. They choose not to follow it and don't care about the consequence until caught. I don't know what was in Riley's mind or heart and I won't judge him. Unfortunately, there is a consequence for being arrested and it affects more than him. His teammates are affected as well. That should be sufficient deterrent from violating the law--whatever it may be.