Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia DE Travon Walker rising on NFL draft boards, Jordan Davis needs strong combine

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia DE Travon Walker rising on NFL draft boards, Jordan Davis needs strong combine

ATHENS — Lifetimes of hard work will be on the line for the program-record 14 Georgia players expected to compete at the 2022 NFL Combine next week (March 1-6) at the Indianapolis Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fools. Davis is the real deal.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,735 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with you that he's the real deal. The issues are his weight (candy man) and how that impacts everything else (speed).

From what the article implies JD fully understands and is addressing the imperatives.

He's a smart, high character athlete unlike to take advantage of his opportunity.

Go, Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...Just goes to show ya, not every "expert" is an expert and opinions are as varied as snowflakes. Means absolutely nothing.

For instance, every "expert opinion" in 1999, said that Dick Vermeil was making a huge mistake by starting an unknown/untested Kurt Warner at QB. Warner hadn't played football on a 100 yd field in 3 yrs. when StL signed him in1997. He was playing Arena Football, when Dick Vermeil came calling.

Vermeil had a knack for reading the character in a man...moreover, he valued heart and character as much as talent. Coaches like him are rare. I believe that Kirby Smart is cut from the same cloth. I just hope he doesn't burn out like Vermeil did in Philadelphia or St Louis.

Point being...the "experts" only look at one aspect of a player's profile. Talent and College film are not the only attributes some teams evaluate. There could be...no, there probably will be more than 1 surprise in this draft.

LOL...Nobody is disputing those facts, Bud. But, for Vermeil to sign and then start an unknown commodity in 1999, was courageous and showed vision. He had done the same thing when he was with Philly. We all know how it went down. I was in the Navy at the time and the Falcons had just played in the Super Bowl the year before....while I was at sea (underwater), no less. That still sticks in my craw. Anyway, we had a couple of guys in my department that were big Ram fans and they were talking about Trent Green at the time...and were not impressed.

If you think about it, that season for the Rams went down a lot like this past season for the Dawgs...at the QB position.

And, your assessment of the Rams going into that year is completely false. But, I'll let you sit on that one.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You see the moronic Falcons once again are not listed as a team that goes after Bulldogs. Crap it is time Blank sell the team to a real owner who wants to win.

LOL....You proved one thing, my friend, everything you know about football can be found on Wikipedia or in a sports almanac.

Hiring Vermeil was definitely no mistake. He is one of the best coaches ever to coach the game. What he did at StL, he did for 2 other franchises...Philadelphia and K.C.. I remember when Philly hired him in 76. They thought that was a mistake. He had only been HC for 2 seasons at UCLA (Rose Bowl '75). But, he turned the Eagles around (1980 Super Bowl) and was "expected" to do it again in StL. Which he obviously did and then he did it again in K.C..

The only reason he retired in 1982 was that he was "burned out". He made me an Eagle fan, when they weren't playing the Falcons. I still remember his retirement speech. He was always expected to return to coaching one day, but, nobody could have guessed it would take 14 years.

The guy's an outside-the-box thinker and was unconventional in a lot of ways. He hired great assistants and allowed them to do their job while keeping one hand on the wheel. He recruited players others passed over, simply because he saw something in them nobody else did.

In short...he's a Hall of Fame Coach and will be inducted this year.

Now, for the Rams. They had just traded for Marshall Faulk in 1999 and had talent all over the field and everybody knew it. Their biggest question mark was Trent Green. A lot of people didn't think he could take StL to the next level. When he went down, the consensus was that the Rams would make a trade or bring in a veteran from somewhere. When they announced that they were going with Warner, everybody thought they had conceded the season. There was a lot of disappointment among the fans. Nobody expected Warner to succeed long term even when he started out hot. They expected a fizzle, but, he just kept getting better....kinda like Stetson Bennett. And, Super Bowl wasn't even thought about...they were just hoping to have a winning season before the season started. Vermeil did what he did in Philly 14 years prior. He turned a franchise in crisis around and took em to the Super Bowl.

Now, you go ahead and try to rewrite history if you want to...but, I lived through it and I have a very good memory.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The first thing as a defense you have to do is rush the passer since the shift has been to passing more and more. That's the biggest draw back for JD. Can he be a 3 down guy. Can he affect the passer or is he just a run stopper. There's a place for that, that is just a specialty kind of guy. But a true 3 down guy is coveted the most.

I have a feeling he's been working hard on that prior to the Combine. If that's the case, he will shed about 30 lbs and gain some speed. His strength and quickness are already elite. In fact, for his size, throughout last season, he showed remarkable quickness and instinct. Except for the speed issue, he has all the tools.