Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

I’m sorry, but Fox has got to go.

PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Up by 16 at the half vs awbern & the cheater, Pearl, they end up losing by 14. Inexcusable.

Comments

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless Mo Charllo has some eligibility left.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has UGA gave a rat's a$$ about basketball since Hugh Durham was here? Asking for a friend....

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UnderDog68 said:
    Has UGA gave a rat's a$$ about basketball since Hugh Durham was here? Asking for a friend....

Tubby and Harrick had everyone's attention. We should have pulled a Louisville and brought Tubby back after he parted with Kentucky.

Count Dennis (Dracula) Felton was too concerned with his fashionable suits and having a plush office.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many years and how many excuses will Fox be allowed ?
    The man is mediocre at best in every way.
    He may well be the single worst offensive coach in college basketball. He's too boring to be much of a recruiter, what exactly is his strength ?

Either try to win or drop the sport. We know we'll never compete for anything higher than a low NCAA Tourney bid with Fox, is that our goal ?

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Tubby and Harrick had everyone's attention. We should have pulled a Louisville and brought Tubby back after he parted with Kentucky.

Count Dennis (Dracula) Felton was too concerned with his fashionable suits and having a plush office.

We can't use the program's past as a gauge, we have to be more daring and think about moving up the food chain.
    We have the money and the recruiting base, the rest is a matter of leadership.

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

We can't use the program's past as a gauge, we have to be more daring and think about moving up the food chain.

Are you old enough to remember Tubby at UGA and Harrick? Just curious. "We cant use the program's past as a gauge" implies that you aren't. Kentucky knew they were in for a brawl and we were in the Sweet 16 as a real threat.

Well, have you guys noticed that we have no point guard play whatsoever.

This team cannot get the ball downcourt and we have no “quarterback”

Could you imagine this squad with Vern Fleming?

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maten scored 17, but majority of those points are free throws?

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When did Hugh Durham leave?

Just kidding... not a big Mark Fox fan myself. Just seems we should be better. The recruiting footprint we have guarantee the big dance every year.

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Are you old enough to remember Tubby at UGA and Harrick? Just curious. "We cant use the program's past as a gauge" implies that you aren't. Kentucky knew they were in for a brawl and we were in the Sweet 16 as a real threat.

I remember every season since 1980.
    We have NEVER sustained success in men's basketball.
    We shouldn't aim for the brief successes we've had based on a recruiting class or 2.
    We need a mindset of building and sustaining a highly competitive program with designs on titles, not bids.

Georgia is LOADED with basketball talent.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

We shouldn't aim for the brief successes we've had based on a recruiting class or 2.
    We need a mindset of building and sustaining a highly competitive program with designs on titles, not bids.

Agree, and I remember every basketball season since 1982.....I even went to Tallahassee with my grandfather and saw Dominique open up a 55-gallon drum of whip-a$$ on FSU.

edited January 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Im sorry to say this, but Georgia is a coaching stepping stone school in men’s basketball. You know that’s true and for the exact same reason you mention regarding mindset. If Fox had come in and crushed it for UGA, then a basketball school would have hired him away. Our arena blows. Is the livestock barn still on the backside of it? Is there an uglier arena in the SEC? Seriously. The new seats and audio visual stuff looks awesome, but we dont call it the Stegasaurus without good reason. Over the last 40 years the UGA AA’s idea of investing in the basketball facilities has been to put in a new scoreboard and new bathroom fixtures. Its a joke. Did they get anything new with the indoor facility? I really dont know and have only seen stuff for the track team and baseball team. Hopefully we are at least applying Kirby’s administrative support blueprint to the basketball program. It was never a recruiting class or two, in the instance of Tubby Smith it was the coach who was able to overcome the LACK of institutional support. Same with Harrick, who wasnt going to be a target of another school due to his age.

We’ve seen twice since Hugh Durham what a quality coach can build at UGA with the instate talent, but our facilities remained at the level they were at under Hugh Durham while everyone else was investing in theirs. That only makes the job all the more difficult. I was never a fan of Felton, but the guy was completely handicapped by his available on-campus resources. A young Tubby Smith couldnt have come in when Fox was hired and accomplish what Tubby did in the 90’s. Lets just say Im skeptical a new coach would make a difference, but sure, roll the dice on one. Just know we will probably lose the kids Fox has committed, which I believe includes the #1pg recruit. Nonetheless, I feel your pain on the Auburn loss.

@Bigcalidawg said:

It would still be scratching for a tourney bid.
    That is who we are.
    Only a new HC and mindset has a chance of altering that reality.> @Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

Im sorry to say this, but Georgia is a coaching stepping stone school in men’s basketball. You know that’s true and for the exact same reason you mention regarding mindset. If Fox had come in and crushed it for UGA, then a basketball school would have hired him away. Our arena blows. Is the livestock barn still on the backside of it? Is there an uglier arena in the SEC? Seriously. The new seats and audio visual stuff looks awesome, but we dont call it the Stegasaurus without good reason. Over the last 40 years the UGA AA’s idea of investing in the basketball facilities has been to put in a new scoreboard and new bathroom fixtures. Its a joke. Did they get anything new with the indoor facility? I really dont know and have only seen stuff for the track team and baseball team. Hopefully we are at least applying Kirby’s administrative support blueprint to the basketball program. It was never a recruiting class or two, in the instance of Tubby Smith it was the coach who was able to overcome the LACK of institutional support. Same with Harrick, who wasnt going to be a target of another school due to his age.

We’ve seen twice since Hugh Durham what a quality coach can build at UGA with the instate talent, but our facilities remained at the level they were at under Hugh Durham while everyone else was investing in theirs. That only makes the job all the more difficult. I was never a fan of Felton, but the guy was completely handicapped by his available on-campus resources. A young Tubby Smith couldnt have come in when Fox was hired and accomplish what Tubby did in the 90’s. Lets just say Im skeptical a new coach would make a difference, but sure, roll the dice on one. Just know we will probably lose the kids Fox has committed, which I believe includes the #1pg recruit. Nonetheless, I feel your pain on the Auburn loss.

We don't have to accept past ideas and limitations of our program, we just seem caught in it's negativity.
    The ONLY question is whether fans would support a program if we got the right staff and gave them elite support.
    Would fans turn out if we became an exciting basketball team with REAL possibilities to actually COMPETE for titles ?
    We know Fox's limitations, either we're in it to win or we're not.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

That is who we are.
    Only a new HC and mindset has a chance of altering that reality.> @Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

We don't have to accept past ideas and limitations of our program, we just seem caught in it's negativity.
    The ONLY question is whether fans would support a program if we got the right staff and gave them elite support.
    Would fans turn out if we became an exciting basketball team with REAL possibilities to actually COMPETE for titles ?

What is attendance like this year? I thought it might be increasing.

• sigmtndawgsigmtndawg Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm afraid Bankwalker is right on the stepping stone point. However, UF has had success, and let me tell you, the O'Connell Center is fractionally better than Stegeman, IF AT ALL. I've never been to SCAR's arena, but is it any good either? They're having success with Frank Martin. You CANNOT compare the football coaching change to this though! We knew we were getting CKS, and even if that hadn't worked out, we would have gotten another excellent coach. Basketball is much more of a risk. Does anybody want to go back to Felton or the guy who followed Tubby (can't remember his name)? I'm sick of HOPING for a shot at the big dance and settling for the NIT, but I'd hate to get even worse than we are now.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

That is who we are.

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@UnderDog68 said:

What is attendance like this year? I thought it might be increasing.

I'm not sure I understand your question.