Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Possible for Fox to be fired in season

LazendaddyLazendaddy Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

Y’all think it’s possible that MarkFox will be fired midseason if this dumpster fire continues ?

And who would you like to see UGA get as next coach?

Comments

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

What has he done to keep his job?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am going to scream if McGarrity comes out with a statement about always evaluating after the season is over. What's left to understand? Lacking 40 minutes of effort is coaching.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Lazendaddy said:
    Y’all think it’s possible that MarkFox will be fired midseason if this dumpster fire continues ?

And who would you like to see UGA get as next coach?

I don't think he'll be fired until after the final game of the season.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What does firing him mid-season accomplish? I understand the frustration, and I was a huge Fox fan myself, but I am not sure what that would accomplish. However, I do believe that he needs to go...

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tough topic. I personally really like Mark Fox. I admit that this year has been bad, though.

A possible saving grace for Mark Fox in McGarity's eyes might be that UGA has the #1 recruiting class in the Nation for 2019 -- in BASKETBALL!

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just know that watching the games is a horrible experience. In all honesty, I’m better off not watching

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Try something else. Anything else. Fox has had enough time to fix B.B. program and it is still 2nd rate at best. Maybe Pearson or Hayes can maintain order until season is complete?? Then a TOTAL evaluation of the program is in order.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    Tough topic. I personally really like Mark Fox. I admit that this year has been bad, though.

A possible saving grace for Mark Fox in McGarity's eyes might be that UGA has the #1 recruiting class in the Nation for 2019 -- in BASKETBALL!

@BullyDawg said:

well that’s 2 years away AND on top of that the only reason we have the number 1 class is because Hagans is the highest recruit committed. we will probably finish top 30 for 2019

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today’s home game: Auburn 78 - UGA 61. Nuff said!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiffLowman said:
    What does firing him mid-season accomplish? I understand the frustration, and I was a huge Fox fan myself, but I am not sure what that would accomplish. However, I do believe that he needs to go...

It would allow McGarrity to start probing coaching agents for interested candidates. That way we could have first crack at all of the other coaches who miss post-season play. That's what we know will happen. He will hire someone who took a sub-500 team and finished above .500 with a roster full of seniors, and paint it up as bringing in a program builder.

• legaldawglegaldawg Posts: 8 ✭✭ Sophomore

Let Fox stay!! Basketball at UGA has never been a priority, and it never will be. It doesn’t matter who the coach is.
    If a UGA basketball coach has any success, either: (1) we are cheating (Harrick);
    (2) the coach quickly gets snatched by a “basketball school” (Tubby); or,
    (3) it is short-lived and can’t be sustained (Durham)

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It isn’t halfway through the season. We are nearing the SEC tournament. Nothing will be done until after then. Look, when is the last good coach we had that wasn’t caught cheating? Tuby. We have had four or five coaches since then. I have no idea why, but UGA and Tech both can’t build a decent program in one of the most talent-rich states in the nation. It just isn’t going to happen.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

According to everyone’s logic, UGA basketball is irrelevant, and it’s ok.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fox has a good recruiting class coming in but those two 5 star players would only stay one year and things would be the same again.. Being a basketball coach has to **** bc you never have experienced players... All the good players bounce after the first yr..

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mlee said:
    Fox has a good recruiting class coming in but those two 5 star players would only stay one year and things would be the same again.. Being a basketball coach has to **** bc you never have experienced players... All the good players bounce after the first yr..

they wouldn't necessarily be one and dones. I don't think all 5* jump right to the league.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fox can't win with 5* players either. Had KCP and I don't think he made the tournament, did he?

• SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Add to all this that Andy Kennedy is expected to step down at Ole Miss effective at the end of the season.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    According to everyone’s logic, UGA basketball is irrelevant, and it’s ok.

Same logic that dictated that Georgia football fans should happily accept 8-9 wins a season as the standard, because that's kind of where Georgia belongs historically. This whole "can't be because we haven't been" attitude is so defeatist.

At this point, why NOT change direction of basketball program? There's a ton of upside and little downside. What's the worst that can happen...we go from boring and bottom-half of SEC to very bad? Does anybody really care about THAT difference? Probably not. Certainly not enough to justify keeping the status quo. Only valid argument concerns 2019 recruiting class. Even if we got those guys eventually to campus (big "if"), Fox hasn't shown ability to develop such players or win with talented players that do join the program.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ole Miss has beaten UGA to the punch with Andy Kennedy out at seasons end. McGarity needs to get on the stick and make a decision sooner rather than later about the future of the program. Whatever the decision, this is not the year for his standard cookie cutter answer that he while review the program and discuss the future after the season. With 8+ years of working with Fox he knows whether or not the program is heading in the right direction.

It's difficult enough to find coaches in years with normal turnover. Add in the ongoing FBI and pay for play scandal, finding and getting the best coach is going to be even more difficult this year.