Recruiting 2018 vs Recruiting 2019

icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited January 31 in Football

The University of Georgia has a chance of landing SEVEN 5 Star recruits in 2018; how many do you think UGA will sign in 2019?

Recruiting 2018 vs Recruiting 2019 84 votes

Four
7%
Diablo_and_DocDaWGfan01AgDawgChambulobrmcnealClemTown 6 votes
Five
30%
BamaDawgBigGAdawgmleeArchDawg90thehutch40RD_DAWGdawgfangodawgsThelordjohnsonJKFlyfishSavannahDawg1MarkBoknechtnetorijohnsonisgoatDawgsofWarMIghtydawgtymoon31Dadmixonugafan396ddodsonbrentwilson 26 votes
Six
33%
DawgsauceDawg88DawgNutAcrum21BrentdawgbybirthCZCashvilleDawgbubbadawgbstripinsertusernamehereRedDawgDGD28BoroDawgmclartywLowDawgdhutchi9christopherulesgreygoose01pgjacksonPeachCoDawg 28 votes
Seven
16%
DakotaDawgFanJMFDYoungPupTheSmartWaybmauldinHenley79jgf1031bulldoga44NawfDawgYungOGbenjaminwgreggPharmDawg2054mantis_toboggan69darius56 14 votes
Eight
8%
icecolddawgBiffLowmanTdub0199HotDawgsAndMustardgreshamdiscoDGDinNYCsauceddawg 7 votes
More than Eight
3%
12edBigDawgEatinBojanglesInsider 3 votes

Comments

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭ Junior

Too early to tell

• icecolddawgicecolddawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior
    Eight

@Dawgsince76 We are speculating early to have something to review one year from now. Can we just guess and see what happens. That the purpose of polls! #godawgs

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 1
    Six

Well, we have 3 already. I'm guessing, assuming we have another very good season, that we end up with 6-7 total. With only 6 committted recruits in 2019, we already have 150 points. Half way to 300 (we have 309 points in the 2018 class) with 6 guys. The 2019 class might shatter recruiting records.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 1

We have already started to see the side effect of having a lot of depth with kids who want to play early. Sandidge and Walker may both be headed elsewhere with that as a major reason. How did Saban and Kirby overcome that issue when they were together at Alabama? Will Kirby be able to overcome the issue next year, with additional pressure from Pruitt at UT and Mullen at UF? What kind of recruiter will Taggart prove to be at F$U? Papa Bowden was ALWAYS stealing guys from SWGA. Landing Walker would be a BIG sign that Kirby will keep the train rolling in this regard, especially given the huge advantage UT has having both Pruitt and Scherrer recruiting him. If Tennessee can't land Walker with those two after the amount of time both spent recruiting him then I think the natives in Knoxville are going to suffer prolonged heartache.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Six

@Bankwalker said:
    Started to see the side effect of having a lot of depth with kids who want to play early. Sandidge and Walker may both be headed elsewhere with that as a major reason. How did Saban and Kirby overcome that issue when they were together at Alabama? Will Kirby be able to overcome the issue next year, with additional pressure from Pruitt at UT and Mullen at UF. What kind of recruiter will Taggart prove to be at F$U? Papa Bowden was ALWAYS stealing guys from SWGA.

WINNING!!!

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    Six

We have some guys who seem to be UGA leans who could easily gain a fifth star or already are 5 stars.

Pappoe
    Travon Walker should already be a 5 star.
    Trezman Marshall has a good chance to get his 5th.

That'd be 6 and we are in it for Zacch Pickens whose a 5 star

Wanya Morris could get his 5th.

lots of potential in the 2019 class to make UGA have the best class in history.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Started to see the side effect of having a lot of depth with kids who want to play early. Sandidge and Walker may both be headed elsewhere with that as a major reason. How did Saban and Kirby overcome that issue when they were together at Alabama? Will Kirby be able to overcome the issue next year, with additional pressure from Pruitt at UT and Mullen at UF. What kind of recruiter will Taggart prove to be at F$U? Papa Bowden was ALWAYS stealing guys from SWGA.

Somehow the best teams with the deepest rosters manage to consistently recruit the top classes. If a kid wants to go to weaker team to be an immediate starter, so be it. Have fun at the Liberty Bowl. He's not really going to grow much if he is immediately one of the best players on the team. However, a kid who wants to grow and compete with the best day in and day out (as well as compete for championships), that's a player who will go far. I think that appeals to most of the top players. They want to compete with the best. Keep winning and the recruiting will take care of itself.

This is the hope. Shifting from immediate playing time (which is good for a year or two at most) to a chance to compete against the best and be the best you can become...if a kid has dreams of the league, he'd be better off with the latter.

• BojanglesInsiderBojanglesInsider Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    More than Eight

I'm also of the position that we have 6 spots left for the 2018 class.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Five

@BojanglesInsider said:

Lol. I can't tell if you're joking are not :D

More than Eight

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY laid out a flawless argument as to why we have 6 spots left. I agree with him. I'd restate the argument, but I'm busy looking at funny cat pictures

Eight

I believe that we will walk away with Eight elite 5 Star players in 2019 which will be one more than we reel in for 2017! Well that depends if Tyson Campbell and Quay Walker join. I think Quay is considered a 5 star recruit now too by 247 Sports Composite (need to research that one again for clarity)! Maybe 8 in both years.

@BojanglesInsider said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@SWARLES_BARKLEY laid out a flawless argument as to why we have 6 spots left. I agree with him. I'd restate the argument, but I'm busy looking at funny cat pictures

Well, if for sure we have 6, might we possibly have 7.

More than Eight

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

That argument just isn't very compelling. It lacks confidence.
    "I'm of the position that if we have six then we have 7. Fight me" <--- what a compelling argument sounds like

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

"I'm of the position that if we have six then we have 7. Fight me" <--- what a compelling argument sounds like

I guess I'd rather rappel than compel.

More than Eight

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

Very interesting. A rappelling argument would give you the high ground.... Like say, "It's over Anakin, I've got the high ground." It's like victory by default. No one would ever be able to challenge a rappelling argument.

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@donm said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@BojanglesInsider said:

Very interesting. A rappelling argument would give you the high ground.... Like say, "It's over Anakin, I've got the high ground." It's like victory by default. No one would ever be able to challenge a rappelling argument.

Maybe you are related to 12ed?

Eight

Who is ready to start the conversation of how many 5 Stars for 2019? We now know that we finished with SEVEN 5 Stars!!!

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior
    Eight

We currently have the second best recruiting class ever, 323.31, following the 2010 UF class and I think next year could be even better. We better start recruiting our coaches! Shearer is a key to keeping Hazlewood and Blaylock and it can't be much longer before somebody comes calling for Mel.

We've build the best O-line foundation in the country the past two years, totally rebuilt our linebacker corps, we'll always have horses in the back field and are obviously set at QB.

Next year we add playmakers outside, beef up the D line and solidify the secondary with elite talent similar to what we've done with LBs and we have the makings of a world beater for years to come.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DGDinNYC said:
    We currently have the second best recruiting class ever, 323.31, following the 2010 UF class and I think next year could be even better. We better start recruiting our coaches! Shearer is a key to keeping Hazlewood and Blaylock and it can't be much longer before somebody comes calling for Mel.

We've build the best O-line foundation in the country the past two years, totally rebuilt our linebacker corps, we'll always have horses in the back field and are obviously set at QB.

Next year we add playmakers outside, beef up the D line and solidify the secondary with elite talent similar to what we've done with LBs and we have the makings of a world beater for years to come.

You do know that Sherrer coaches OLB's and he also coaches at UT now, right?

Eight

@DGDinNYC Did you Mean to say Glenn Schumann oppose to Sherrer?

• cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

I say he signs 25 - 27 5 stars.

Why not? It's freaking Kirby!

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    Five

Haselwood, Blaylock, Smith, Pappoe, and 1 OL. For sure!!! A RB or DB may get chased or T. Walker gaining a 5th star are possible as well

edited February 12
    Eight

@JeffSentell has posted an article addressing the outlook on 5 Star Recruit for the 2019 cycle. We currently have Jadon Haselwood (WR), Nolan Smith (DE), and Dominick Blaylock (WR). His article list several possibilities that could add to that 5 Star group but he only sees 2-3 more commits at that level. However, if you remember the "What is wrong with UGA Recruiting" thread; I'm going to be a little bit more optimistic about our chances of getting more.

I see the possible additions before it is all over as Owen Pappoe (LB), Travon Walker (I believe will eventually be a 5 Star Recruit at DT); add Chris Hinton (DE) that is committed to the University of Michigan if they can flip him. That would likely close the borders around our elite 5 Star talent for Georgia prospects

That leaves us with some work to do out of state in finding 2-3 more 5 Star RARE AIR prospects if we are to reach that 7-8 5 Star Recruits for 2019 that some believe will happen. In Kirby we TRUST!!!

Six

I think Hinton will flip. Don't know a thing about him, but Mich is a sinking ship. Harbaugh might be out of a job after next season. Not sure why a local GA kid would want to be part of that mess. Smart is really dialing it in with the local kids and making UGA the "it" school for Georgia prospects.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:
    I think Hinton will flip. Don't know a thing about him, but Mich is a sinking ship. Harbaugh might be out of a job after next season. Not sure why a local GA kid would want to be part of that mess. Smart is really dialing it in with the local kids and making UGA the "it" school for Georgia prospects.

He’s committed there for academics

Six

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

I assume that is sarcasm.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Michigan is a really good school and academics are what is most important to his family. Hard to compete with that

Six

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

Michigan is a really good school and academics are what is most important to his family. Hard to compete with that

First of all, I seriously doubt Michigan is better academically than Georgia. Secondly, it is unlikely that a 5-star athlete will actually stick around and graduate. Chubb and Michele are the exception not the norm. Very few elite guys stay after three years.

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

@judasdurant said:

@pgjackson said:

First of all, I seriously doubt Michigan is better academically than Georgia. Secondly, it is unlikely that a 5-star athlete will actually stick around and graduate. Chubb and Michele are the exception not the norm. Very few elite guys stay after three years.

Meeechigan is pretty up there as far as US Universities go. I haven't seen any rankings (and they are likely similar to star rankings for players - kind of hard to figure at times - but I'd guess they are 'ranked' higher than UGA. As to what the differences are that gets one rated higher than another? Who he heck knows?