Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Should we tap the breaks a bit on Zeus?

cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Please, will someone walk me off the cliff? This guy tore his ACL late in the season last year and we are expecting him to rehab and be his old self this upcoming season? It took almost 2 years for mr. Chubb to be back to his old self after his injury.

Can someone explain to me how this guy is a miracle of modern medicine? The only running back I seem to recall playing back to their true form less than a year after surgery was Adrian Peterson. I'm as nervous as a key witness about to testify against the Clinton's!

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He will be fine. I don’t think the tear was severe and he won’t be asked to carry a huge load when he comes back. He may get 5 touches a game

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think most of that decision will depend on Zeus. He seems to have the mental ability to return quickly, but you just never know. In Chubb’s interview regarding him returning for his Senior season, if you listen carefully, he pretty much confirmed that it took him longer to “fully” return to form due to the mental maturity needed to do so.

I may have shared this before, but I coached travel ball and state championship caliber players for fast pitch softball for several years. The one year that we won the state championship, we had a certain girl (I won’t give her name due to privacy for her and her family – GREAT family by the way) who was hit in the face by a very hard hit ground ball. It did major damage to her mouth, face and knocked her out cold when it happened. When she returned to practice and we started practice drills, EVERY parent and coach at practice wondered how she would react to that first hard hit ground ball. She didn’t miss a beat! As tough of an athlete as I’ve ever seen! She is now a fastpitch star for one of the top ACC Fastpitch teams out there about to start her junior season. I understand this is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison, but the point is – will Zeus be ready mentally? That’s the biggest obstacle to overcome.

He seems as if he will have the focus to return early, but sometimes players will “favor” a surgically repaired knee/ankle and not even realize they are doing so. Time will tell, but Zeus will be the one who actually answers this question.

PS. If anyone does know who I am referring to, PLEASE do not mention her name for the sake of privacy for her family.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't see Zeus red-shirting this year if he is ready to play at any time, have to figure he will only be there 3 years with his talent. His injury was nothing like Chubb's.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmm... Must have forgot this one guy who's name is Todd Gurley. Feel free to jump if you're that worried. I'm loving the depth at RB that Georgia has right now.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@amjadawgs said:
    I think most of that decision will depend on Zeus. He seems to have the mental ability to return quickly, but you just never know. In Chubb’s interview regarding him returning for his Senior season, if you listen carefully, he pretty much confirmed that it took him longer to “fully” return to form due to the mental maturity needed to do so.

I may have shared this before, but I coached travel ball and state championship caliber players for fast pitch softball for several years. The one year that we won the state championship, we had a certain girl (I won’t give her name due to privacy for her and her family – GREAT family by the way) who was hit in the face by a very hard hit ground ball. It did major damage to her mouth, face and knocked her out cold when it happened. When she returned to practice and we started practice drills, EVERY parent and coach at practice wondered how she would react to that first hard hit ground ball. She didn’t miss a beat! As tough of an athlete as I’ve ever seen! She is now a fastpitch star for one of the top ACC Fastpitch teams out there about to start her junior season. I understand this is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison, but the point is – will Zeus be ready mentally? That’s the biggest obstacle to overcome.

He seems as if he will have the focus to return early, but sometimes players will “favor” a surgically repaired knee/ankle and not even realize they are doing so. Time will tell, but Zeus will be the one who actually answers this question.

PS. If anyone does know who I am referring to, PLEASE do not mention her name for the sake of privacy for her family.

Not disagreeing with you at all about the privacy issue. Please don't take it that way .you mention she is at an ACC school. I was wondering if the sports information people at her school aren't already aware of her story and haven't published it as part of the stories they do on all incoming freshmen players. I'm sure her coach is award of her history and most likely would have passed this great story on to them. Just asking.

@donm said:

@amjadawgs said:

Not disagreeing with you at all about the privacy issue. Please don't take it that way .you mention she is at an ACC school. I was wondering if the sports information people at her school aren't already aware of her story and haven't published it as part of the stories they do on all incoming freshmen players. I'm sure her coach is award of her history and most likely would have passed this great story on to them. Just asking.

I'm honestly not sure. But it's not my place to make it public.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The story I heard is that after Zeus hurt his knee he kept playing in the game. It wasn't a total blowout like Lattimore or Chubb. There was a video recently of him bowling before the surgery. Doesn't sound like major damage was done and he won't suffer the psychological effects so many guys go through after a traumatic injury. I think he will be just fine.

@pgjackson said:
    The story I heard is that after Zeus hurt his knee he kept playing in the game. It wasn't a total blowout like Lattimore or Chubb. There was a video recently of him bowling before the surgery. Doesn't sound like major damage was done and he won't suffer the psychological effects so many guys go through after a traumatic injury. I think he will be just fine.

You could be correct, but I thought he just stayed on the field after the injury (on the sideline), but didn’t return to the field of play.

• Apaul404Apaul404 Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

That's right PG, I remember reading that the tear was discovered after the bowling outing when he got it checked as a precaution.... BTW, how the heck are you?> @pgjackson said:

@Apaul404 said:
    That's right PG, I remember reading that the tear was discovered after the bowling outing when he got it checked as a precaution.... BTW, how the heck are you?> @pgjackson said:

Hey! Doing great! You still in?

@amjadawgs said:

@pgjackson said:

You could be correct, but I thought he just stayed on the field after the injury (on the sideline), but didn’t return to the field of play.

I thought I read that he played a couple more series...regardless, it wasn't a "holy crap my knee just bent 45 degrees backwards" injury. He wasn't carted off the field and he wasn't incapacitated after. Sounds like a very minor injury.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

I envision him coming in for 10 plays in the playoffs or the SEC title game and his fresh legs getting into the secondary on every play similar to what Najee Harris did to us in the title game

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone Zamir White is hurt right now and with Georgia's depth at running back there is no need to hurry his recovery. Even if he is fully recovered is he going to leap in front of D’Andre Swift? Long term it is in both Zamir White and Georgia's best interest to make sure he is fully recovered.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@amjadawgs said:

@pgjackson said:

I thought I read that he played a couple more series...regardless, it wasn't a "holy crap my knee just bent 45 degrees backwards" injury. He wasn't carted off the field and he wasn't incapacitated after. Sounds like a very minor injury.

I do believe it wasn't an injury that should take a full year or more to from which to recover. This is what I have read on this forum. However, any time surgery is needed, I don't consider it "very minor". I know from experience that one can come back from torn cartilage surgery in a relatively short time w/o even having to do much rehab, but this did involve a ligament(s) I think. I'd hope for caution in his return and a gradual phasing in. I know he is a warrior and uber-talented and will be pressing to get back in the flow. Fingers crossed for him.

The good news is that we shouldn't even need him till maybe Oct 13 against LSU. With everything else we have on offense I'm pretty confident a TF RB will not be a critical missing piece.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@amjadawgs said:

@pgjackson said:

The way the story on DawgNation read--It was almost an afterthought for Zamir to tell his coach about it after a weekend of activity. Nick Chubb's injury was predicted to be career ending my a couple of doctors quoted in the media. What I would add just to help clarify for the OP--I don't think the word, "tear" means the same thing with every injury described that way.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cusedawg said:
    Please, will someone walk me off the cliff? This guy tore his ACL late in the season last year and we are expecting him to rehab and be his old self this upcoming season? It took almost 2 years for mr. Chubb to be back to his old self after his injury.

Can someone explain to me how this guy is a miracle of modern medicine? The only running back I seem to recall playing back to their true form less than a year after surgery was Adrian Peterson. I'm as nervous as a key witness about to testify against the Clinton's!

Chubb's injury wasn't anything like Zues'. Chubb's injury was gruesome, and basically tore every ligament in his knee besides his ACL. Zeus just tore one ligament (ACL), and many think it's just a slight tear based on the way he finished that game, bowling the night before surgery, etc. Also, I don't think it took Chubb two years to heal, he just had the worst o-line, possibly worst in UGA history, in front of him his junior year. Chubb is a patient back who then hits a hole, that's not going to work when there's never a hole for him to hit.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    With the depth we have at running back & Holyfield and Swift poised for breakout years, I think it might just be best to redshirt Zeus.

I like our RB depth too, but if he's only likely to be here for 3 years you don't redshirt him. Zeus has been said to be the best RB in the last 2-3 cycles. If he is that good, then he's basically a Gurley in-waiting, and no need to waste a year of him not getting playing time. It doesn't have to be game 1 if he feels he's not ready. By his sophomore year I see him being the starter (thunder), while Swift is the lightning.