Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is there a nice hotel near Sanford Stadium?

cusedawgcusedawg Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Any suggestions on a nice hotel within a 15 minute walk of Sanford Stadium?

Thx in advance!

Comments

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Not sure how nice it is, but the Holiday Inn Downtown is about as close as you can get.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have been very pleased with the downtown Hilton Garden but they were booked for G-Day. Rooms are nice, nice bar and breakfast is excellent. I am staying at the New Hyatt Place G Day weekend.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

There use to be a pretty nice place at little five points......However if you are looking to get into a close hotel for games it's not possible.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When people go to games 9 out of 10, maybe more stay in typical motel rooms that would run 60 to 80 bucks most places and times.
    Yet on boards everybody wants to spend 300 bucks for a room, these sites must be populated by rich folks... :)

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    When people go to games 9 out of 10, maybe more stay in typical motel rooms that would run 60 to 80 bucks most places and times.
    Yet on boards everybody wants to spend 300 bucks for a room, these sites must be populated by rich folks... :)

If you can find a suitable hotel room on game weekends in Athens for $60-$80 let the rest of us know

@AgDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

If you can find a suitable hotel room on game weekends in Athens for $60-$80 let the rest of us know

That wasn't my point, most either drive in from home or stay in roadside motels within driving distance.
    I'm just saying in general we posters stay in fine hotels where most actually stay in roadside motels unless they are at their vacation destination.

• fmr33fmr33 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Downtown - near classic center, 20ish min walk
    The Hyatt (brand new)
    Hotel Indigo (one of nicest)
    Hilton Garden Inn (one of nicest)

Just outside of downtown, 20ish min walk
    Holiday Inn (recently renovated, nice)
    Holiday Inn Express (average)
    SpringHill Suites (brand new)

Further reading: http://www.onlineathens.com/local-news/2017-11-29/room-grow-downtown-athens-evolves-new-hotels

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah all of those are nice hotels but you still can't stay in them for game day weekend......Most of the hotels have the same people stay there year after year.

@fmr33 said:
    Downtown - near classic center, 20ish min walk
    The Hyatt (brand new)
    Hotel Indigo (one of nicest)
    Hilton Garden Inn (one of nicest)

Just outside of downtown, 20ish min walk
    Holiday Inn (recently renovated, nice)
    Holiday Inn Express (average)
    SpringHill Suites (brand new)

Further reading: http://www.onlineathens.com/local-news/2017-11-29/room-grow-downtown-athens-evolves-new-hotels

The last time I stayed in town it was at The Hilton Garden, but that was for my Neice's graduation in the fall.
    As other's have mentioned you will almost certainly have to either drive from home the morning of a game or stay somewhere like Commerce and drive to Athens.
    It's not THAT difficult if you don't mind driving in a few hours early.

• AkonAkon Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brand new Hyatt and Hotel Indigo

• dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stayed at the Indigo...I was very disappointed in the hotel.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Benson Hospitality owns the Hilton Garden, the new Hyatt, the Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and the Springhill Suites. They do a great job catering to the fans. All of these except the Springhill are within a 15-minute walk. The Indigo is more like 20+.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For proximity, can't beat UGA Hotel and Conference Center. But it is not the Ritz by any means!

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2018

@BullyDawg said:
    For proximity, can't beat UGA Hotel and Conference Center. But it is not the Ritz by any means!

I'm staying at UGAHaCC for G-Day. I've never stayed there before but I couldn't resist the .5 mile walk to the Stadium.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@BullyDawg said:

I'm staying at UGAHaCC for G-Day. I've never stayed there before but I couldn't resist the .5 mile walk to the Stadium.

Hey, I've stayed there many times -- for graduation, etc. It's not bad. "Select" rooms seem a little nicer than "Classic" rooms, although the Select-room bed configurations may not work for you.

Nice restaturant (Savannah Room), casual restaurant (Courtyard Cafe), coffee shop (GA Java), and a little bar (Savannah Room Bar). Front desk mainly manned by UGA students who are helpful and eager to assist. They'll usually shuttle you around campus or Athens in a golf cart if not too busy.

You could do a lot worse.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I went up for the UGA/KY game this past season, I went with Airbnb. They have some nice places in Athens where you can stay cheaper than a hotel, and some of them can be booked for the whole weekend. We had to walk 3/4ths of a mile to get to the stadium, but it was nice weather, and the downtown and campus atmosphere made the walk even better. Besides, as previously posted, a regular motel within walking distance was **** near impossible, and the price for most of them on a game weekend is highway robbery.

• gregoryrowleygregoryrowley Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

You can also check Athens Hotel Accommodation near Sanford Stadium.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look into Airbnb or vrbo.

You can always stay outside of walking distance and either pay $20 for parking or find a free spot near by.
    We drive up day of game and have no problem finding parking.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@BullyDawg said:

Hey, I've stayed there many times -- for graduation, etc. It's not bad. "Select" rooms seem a little nicer than "Classic" rooms, although the Select-room bed configurations may not work for you.

Nice restaturant (Savannah Room), casual restaurant (Courtyard Cafe), coffee shop (GA Java), and a little bar (Savannah Room Bar). Front desk mainly manned by UGA students who are helpful and eager to assist. They'll usually shuttle you around campus or Athens in a golf cart if not too busy.

You could do a lot worse.

Select wing wing was renovated a year or so ago, but the classic wing is set for a renovation this year so plan accordingly I guess. Either way you can't beat the GA Center/UGA Hotel on gamedays.

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stayed in the HYATT last night actually and it is brand new and pretty nice. It also has a bar. Wasn't to pricy either, it's basically right beside the classic center. Not some high end upscale hotel but it's not sketch either.