Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Crean or Matta

AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I asked a friend of mine who is a Michigan State graduate and an avid Big10 basketball fan who would be a better fit. He said Crean was an Izzo protege, successful at Marquette and less so at IU. He said Matta was a **** (did not elaborate). He would pick Crean over Matta, for what that is worth.

Comments

• superblackeaglesuperblackeagle Posts: 303 ✭✭✭ Junior

i'm leaning towards crean due to his age, health, and from what i've seen of him with his espn role, he seems pretty sharp with a decent personality. #teamcrean

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:
    I asked a friend of mine who is a Michigan State graduate and an avid Big10 basketball fan who would be a better fit. He said Crean was an Izzo protege, successful at Marquette and less so at IU. He said Matta was a **** (did not elaborate). He would pick Crean over Matta, for what that is worth.

I think a better explanation would be good for Matta, other than your buddy not liking his personality it seems.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not confident in either one, to be honest. And I think hiring a guy with back problems would be a big mistake. Let's not rush this. Take our time and do our best to hire the right guy. We should even look into the women's BB coaching ranks for a potential coach. Wonder if we could lure Geno Auriemma away from UCONN? LOL

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I had to pick between the two, I would probably choose Motta. Maybe I'm the only one but it seems to me that it could be strange having Harbaugh's brother-in-law coaching at UGA. At the end of the day, UGA is a football school and I wouldn't want to see Harbaugh at a game in Stegman getting more attention in our state. Hope that whoever is named the new coach has a better offensive system and is able to recruit players that fit his system.

• SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gonna be Matta. Will be announced Thursday or Friday.

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll take the guy with a .740 win percentage having won at Butler, Xavier, and Ohio State.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Pigeons said:
    Most of Crean's success was due to D Wade. IU also has a blue blood basketball program and he couldn't do enough. I'm not sold on Crean.

Side not Matta's brother coaches at Kennesaw State. That could affect his decisions, for better or for worse

Matta's brother is the head basketball coach at North Cobb Christian School. He has built that program and done an unbelievable job there! I believe that before that he was an assistant at KSU.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Matta over Crean. Every day and twice on Sunday.

Versus Crean, Matta is younger, has had more (and more sustained) success, has a better disposition, isn't fazed by coaching BB at a FB school, and ... doesn't have Harbaugh as a brother-in-law! Also, reports indicate Matta has fully rehabbed his back injury.

Matta left OSU because of back injury in a mutual decision. His "worst" season was his last there, when he went 17-15. Before that, he NEVER won fewer than 20 games and several times won more than 30. Took OSU to the Dance 9 out of 13 years (and every year at Butler and Xavier). Matta only lost in first round of NCAAs twice out of 13 appearances.

By comparison, Crean was fired because he couldn't win at IU. In 9 seasons with the Hoosiers, he won less than 20 games 5 times (plus 4 under 20's at Marquette). Crean took his IU team to the Dance only 4 of 9 years (and only 5 of 9 years at Marquette). Crean lost in first round of NCAAs 4 times out of 9 appearances.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have seen both of these Coaches teams play a number of times and seen them Coach against each other. Matta would be a very good get for UGA. Crean...not so much - they would be better off with Fox than Crean, IMHO.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Matta. Proven recruiter. Won more. Take away Dwyane Wade, Crean hasn’t done much

• TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Crean failed at Indiana, in my mind it is obvious he is not the type of a coach that can bring a struggling program up, when he could not keep on of the most historic at the top.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crean didnt fail at IU. Got the team to March Madness yearly, got players to the NBA (which is big to recruits), and recruited just as good as all coaches not named Self, K, or Cal. He also was stressed his last two years hearing of under achieving even though they lost to better teams.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

JESUS!! Looks like we are going to get stuck making an offer to Crean! We made public our top 2 choices and now #1 gave us the finger. Crean is going to be worse than Fox.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Matta said no, so here we go.

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Crean was also at Indiana, where the pressure to succeed is huge. Coming to UGA he wouldn't have that much pressure and he can focus on actual basketball and not outside factors. I think he would be a good get for UGA, as he can recruit pretty well and has a track record of getting to the tournament at a big school.

• KobeBryantKobeBryant Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

Why not the Wichita State, Georgia State or College of Charleston head coaches?

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Discussion over. It’s Crean. Now let’s go out and welcome him to UGA. Go Dawgs!