Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Great article on Mullen

BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That article doesn’t have any comparisons to how Miss St did before Mullen got there.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UF (unfortunately) WILL be better, & Georgia (as always) is going to have to work for anything & everything against the hated Gators.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:
    That article doesn’t have any comparisons to how Miss St did before Mullen got there.

I suspect Mullen's record at State has more to do with the resources provided him during his tenure there and on his coaching and administrative abilities, than State's prior record. Either way I agree with the writer. Mullin's record at State did not warrant the contract he received at Florida. Personally I'd be okay if the Gators went bankrupt!

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The list that showed 51 of his 69 wins there was eye opening. Is he overpaid for his production so far? Yes I think that is fairly obvious. But was he the best option for Florida? I think he was and that $6.1M is just the cost of doing business.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are all soon going to find out. Florida DOES have some pretty serious resources, & a very large population (talent pool) / fan base (crazies) / alums (folks that write REALLY big checks) .... & it is all in place for him there in Gainesville, Florida at the most appropriately named "SWAMP". IMHO he is far & away better there for them than Jim McElwain ever was. Anyway, I am seriously hoping that Georgia just THRASHES Florida annually for the next 30-35 years at a minimum.... Just to get the Steve Spurrier thing as far in the past as a distant memory as is possible.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He will do well. He will have access to better recruits than he did at state. Our advantage is that we got rid of our coach two years before they did

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2018

@levander said:

Dont think comparison was the the point of the article, it was about production. But feel free to b.i.t.c.h away.

@christopherules said:
    We are all soon going to find out. Florida DOES have some pretty serious resources, & a very large population (talent pool) / fan base (crazies) / alums (folks that write REALLY big checks) .... & it is all in place for him there in Gainesville, Florida at the most appropriately named "SWAMP". IMHO he is far & away better there for them than Jim McElwain ever was. Anyway, I am seriously hoping that Georgia just THRASHES Florida annually for the next 30-35 years at a minimum.... Just to get the Steve Spurrier thing as far in the past as a distant memory as is possible.

I agree that UF has a much better talent pool. We will have to see what he can do with it.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@levander said:

Dont think comparison was the the point of the article, it was about production. But feel free to b.i.t.c.h away.

LOL...

The point is, production is relative. Kirby’s freshman head coach season at UGA, pretty sure he went 9-5. Which is basically a losing season at this school. But at Vandy, that’d be like manna from heaven.

There are lots of variables. But the first one I’d want to take into account how well Mullen did vs how well his predecessor did.

andrews1253 made a good point. If they were the Miss St admin was pouring more money into the program, that would definitely help Mullen recruit. And would give him and advantage over his predecessor.

• Diablo_and_DocDiablo_and_Doc Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BamaDawg said:

I agree that UF has a much better talent pool. We will have to see what he can do with it.

I don't agree on the talent pool being that much better. Looking at the 247 comp 2018 rankings, Florida had 66 kids with a 4* ranking or better, Georgia had 40 at 4* or better. Of those 66 in Florida, 11 came from IMG, which brings in kids from across the Country.

Also, Florida is home to three legit P5 programs, whereas here it's just us and the has-been. The only coach locking down the home state better than CKS is Herman at Texas.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@levander said:

@BamaDawg said:

@levander said:

LOL...

The point is, production is relative. **Kirby’s freshman head coach season at UGA, pretty sure he went 9-5. **Which is basically a losing season at this school. But at Vandy, that’d be like manna from heaven.

There are lots of variables. But the first one I’d want to take into account how well Mullen did vs how well his predecessor did.

andrews1253 made a good point. If they were the Miss St admin was pouring more money into the program, that would definitely help Mullen recruit. And would give him and advantage over his predecessor.

7-5 regular season. Won the bowl game which made it 8-5. If you count the 2016 G-Day game....9-5.

@Diablo_and_Doc said:

@BamaDawg said:

I don't agree on the talent pool being that much better. Looking at the 247 comp 2018 rankings, Florida had 66 kids with a 4* ranking or better, Georgia had 40 at 4* or better. Of those 66 in Florida, 11 came from IMG, which brings in kids from across the Country.

Also, Florida is home to three legit P5 programs, whereas here it's just us and the has-been. The only coach locking down the home state better than CKS is Herman at Texas.

I didnt mean that he had a better talent pool than kirby. I meant he has a better talent pool in Florida than he did in Mississippi.

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate the Gators, but admit I'll hate them a little less now that Mullen is there. He's a ... gulp ... class act.
    That was hard for me to say about a Gator ....

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg -- Don't worry -- you'll be back to the pre-Mullen level of lizard hating in no time!

• BullyDawgBullyDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DirtDawg said:
    @BullyDawg -- Don't worry -- you'll be back to the pre-Mullen level of lizard hating in no time!

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BullyDawg said:
    I hate the Gators, but admit I'll hate them a little less now that Mullen is there. He's a ... gulp ... class act

Not sure I’d go quite that far...he did take that recruit involved in domestic violence. Not sure all other coaches would have done that.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was a solid hire. Mullen went to like 9 straight bowl games and won 7? That accounts for like half of MSU's bowl victories over the entire history of the program. That, and the fact that he coached in the SEC West which has dominated the conference for the past decade.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

@Acrum21 said:
    I think it was a solid hire. Mullen went to like 9 straight bowl games and won 7? That accounts for like half of MSU's bowl victories over the entire history of the program. That, and the fact that he coached in the SEC West which has dominated the conference for the past decade.

Actually, it was 7 and they won 5. Most notable wins were against Michigan, 2010 52-14 and against NC State 51-28 in 2015. They also beat Wake Forest, Rice, and Miami of Ohio. The 2 notable losses were to North Western and Ga tech.