Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Unpopular opinion(s) on Georgia. What is YOUR MOST UNPOPULAR OPINION???

christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is an article about UNPOPULAR opinions on the DawgNation webpage. I thought that might be a good thread here in the forum. I'll share mine to help break the ice:

IMHO - Former 2015 Georgia QB (Virginia transfer) Grayson Lambert's game against the South Carolina Gamecocks was the BEST EVER Georgia QB performance is the history of the Georgia Bulldogs football program. Period. There. Now THAT has to qualify as a MOST unpopular opinion.

Comments

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

That really is a good (although it IS painful too!) one. I wondered why the ball wasn’t spiked for days, weeks, & months after that heartbreaking loss to the Gumps!

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PTDawg said:
    There was nothing wrong with not spiking the ball at the end of the 4th against Bama in the SEC title game in 2012. We had flown down the field in a few plays and they were on their heels. If the play works then Richt/Bobo are hailed as geniuses for "keeping their foot on the gas, not letting the D regroup, etc." I've always felt the criticism they've gotten over that was a bit of Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MODawg said:

@PTDawg said:

Well obviously there was. It produced a terrible play call that cost us a natty. There was only one place to go with the ball in the endzone and Bama read it. Richt and Bobo should have been fired on the spot

Your response is the definition of Monday morning quarterbacking. They could’ve called a better play, Conley could’ve knocked it down knowing he wasn’t in the end zone, they could’ve called time out, they could’ve spiked it, etc. etc. All Monday morning quarterback responses. Let’s fire Bobo who scored more pts/game than any UGA offensive coordinator ever. Not only did he not get fired, he got promoted to a head coaching position not long after. Such a smart, level headed critique on your part.

@Teddy said:

@MODawg said:

@PTDawg said:

Your response is the definition of Monday morning quarterbacking. They could’ve called a better play, Conley could’ve knocked it down knowing he wasn’t in the end zone, they could’ve called time out, they could’ve spiked it, etc. etc. All Monday morning quarterback responses. Let’s fire Bobo who scored more pts/game than any UGA offensive coordinator ever. Not only did he not get fired, he got promoted to a head coaching position not long after. Such a smart, level headed critique on your part.

That's the wrong football call. You spike the ball in that situation. They didn't have a TO to call. Why rush up to the line and try to get a play in that ACTUALLY had a chance to work. Why is Conley running a route 3 yards from the endzone? And how did scoring all those points work for UGA? We dominated Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl in between competing for Outback Bowl championships. HAWAII! Wow that's great! Score 60 on a middle school and lay an egg REPEATEDLY against actual competition. Yeah that's the OC/HC I want.

@PTDawg said:

@MODawg said:

I understand the outcome wasn't what we wanted. It was a huge letdown. It just felt like people looked at the outcome and then reverse-engineered the analysis. Had Murray spiked the ball and the next play not worked then people would say "we had them on their heels, we had the momentum, they weren't lined up right but we gave them a chance to catch their breath, you can't give a defense that good extra time to get ready, etc." I agree the play call wasn't ideal, although that play had worked well for us a lot that season. I would have preferred a RPO with Murray and if it wasn't there just throw it out the back of the end zone and have another play. The decision to not spike, though, I had no issue with.

Well for me I was yelling to spike it the whole time. It's the right football call. I get what you're saying though. I'm a firm believer of a good O is gonna beat good D every time.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

Jan Kemp was a hero and was treated disgracefully by UGA and many of our fans.
    It's both extremely unpopular and absolutely true.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MODawg said:

@Teddy said:

@MODawg said:

@PTDawg said:

That's the wrong football call. You spike the ball in that situation. They didn't have a TO to call. Why rush up to the line and try to get a play in that ACTUALLY had a chance to work. Why is Conley running a route 3 yards from the endzone? And how did scoring all those points work for UGA? We dominated Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl in between competing for Outback Bowl championships. HAWAII! Wow that's great! Score 60 on a middle school and lay an egg REPEATEDLY against actual competition. Yeah that's the OC/HC I want.

They had just driven the field on Bama quickly, and wanted to keep the momentum going. But good to know one bad play call should get you fired... I was yelling for them to spike the ball as it was happening live, but can understand wanting to go fast as well. Murray shouldn't have thrown there, Conley should've knocked it down, etc. etc.

Looks like he could hang some points up on some pretty good teams, links to his last 3 years in Athens below. If he couldn't get 30 pts, UGA was pretty much guaranteed to lose. Wish he and Kirby were on the UGA's sidelines at the same time. A Kirby defense with a Bobo offense sounds about perfect.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2014-schedule.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2013-schedule.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2012-schedule.html

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My unpopular opinion, one that many will not agree with which is why its “unpopular”

Greyson Lambert was not as terrible of a QB as many of the fans liked to believe.... 63.3% pass completion and 6 touchdowns thrown for every 1 interception. QB rating of 140....

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Also...more surprised people haven't come at me about my Aaron Murray take. maybe after seeing Jake Fromm do what he did last year has helped make all those memories of killing it against the Vandy and Kentuckys of the world fade a little

@Kasey said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    My unpopular opinion, one that many will not agree with which is why its “unpopular”

Greyson Lambert was not as terrible of a QB as many of the fans liked to believe.... 63.3% pass completion and 6 touchdowns thrown for every 1 interception. QB rating of 140....

I’ll ride with you on this. He was saddled with a subpar o-line. A god-awful OC and a dearth of targets at WR. The guy made chicken salad out of chicken you know what that season

Lord have mercy that was the worst OC I have ever seen in my entire life

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@Kasey said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I’ll ride with you on this. He was saddled with a subpar o-line. A god-awful OC and a dearth of targets at WR. The guy made chicken salad out of chicken you know what that season

Lord have mercy that was the worst OC I have ever seen in my entire life

I pity any Seahawks fans who think that offense is going to turn around this year. NOT HAPPENING

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby should have put another DB on the field after we got Alabama in a 2nd and 26.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mine:

Players should be able make money off their likeness.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Eason should have been given the job back :#

@TheSmartWay said:
    Eason should have been given the job back :#

yea.... thats a pretty horrible opinion haha

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia did not lose to Vandy in 2016 because of poor offensive play calling.