Status of New Weight Room, Please

FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited December 6 in Football

I mentioned it in a Clay Webb post, but it was serious. Webb mentioned a good weight room as being important to him. Okay, perhaps that is not the determining factor, but Kirby has shown he is no fluke. He is building something real. Let's put some investment into the program now. After ESD 2018, it will be clear that there is enough juice in the pipeline for perhaps 2 maybe 3 years. But you must feed the m-onkey. Keep the pipeline filled. That means having facilities commensurate with the best programs. Can I get a harrumph!?

Comments

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

we just got a new weight room/gym at work. it is pretty nice. probably not as nice as UGA's but for potential employees it is a sweet incentive.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:
    I mentioned it in a Clay Webb post, but it was serious. Webb mentioned a good weight room as being important to him. Okay, perhaps that is not the determining factor, but Kirby has shown he is no fluke. He is building something real. Let's put some investment into the program now. After ESD 2018, it will be clear that there is enough juice in the pipeline for perhaps 2 maybe 3 years. But you must feed the m-onkey. Keep the pipeline filled. That means having facilities commensurate with the best programs. Can I get a harrumph!?

I'm not interested in competing with The Gumps for useless square footage bragging rights. Most of their floor space is unneeded. I do want state of the art training though. So let's figure out what we need and make it happen.

@tfk_fanboy said:
    we just got a new weight room/gym at work. it is pretty nice. probably not as nice as UGA's but for potential employees it is a sweet incentive.

It's interesting how we as a nation just get fatter and fatter while we also keep posturing about fitness. Seriously, most employees would visit a company donut bar more often than a company gym.

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

It's interesting how we as a nation just get fatter and fatter while we also keep posturing about fitness. Seriously, most employees would visit a company donut bar more often than a company gym.

haha that is often true

our company does a health assessment each year and the generalized results get sent out and it directly impacts our health insurance rates as a whole. overall our score was good as our rates went down for 2019

the gym is free if you use it, they pay for 5k races, we have standing desks and treadmill desks, plus we can sit anywhere in the building we choose. not tied to a specific desk

we have our share of folks who prefer the donut bar, for sure, but overall are a fairly fit company compared to many other office job companies

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

our company does a health assessment each year and the generalized results get sent out and it directly impacts our health insurance rates as a whole. overall our score was good as our rates went down for 2019

the gym is free if you use it, they pay for 5k races, we have standing desks and treadmill desks, plus we can sit anywhere in the building we choose. not tied to a specific desk

we have our share of folks who prefer the donut bar, for sure, but overall are a fairly fit company compared to many other office job companies

Sounds like an interesting corporate culture

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 6

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I'm not interested in competing with The Gumps for useless square footage bragging rights. Most of their floor space is unneeded. I do want state of the art training though. So let's figure out what we need and make it happen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kD-AXgYO0lo

I did NOT mention the GUMPS. The program is making money, so spend a little why don't cha?

edited December 6

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I did NOT mention the GUMPS. The program is making money, so spend a little why don't cha?

I mentioned The Gumps, their weight room is always the 21,000 square ft elephant in the room when discussing what we need facility wise.

I'd like to see a comprehensive assessment of our training facility needs.

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I mentioned The Gumps, their weight room is always the 21,000 square ft elephant in the room when discussing what we need facility wise.

I’d like for you to go away but que the song “we can’t always get what we waanntt...” if an updated weight room keeps bringing in the top level recruits and we obviously have the money, spend it?

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

I’d like for you to go away but que the song “we can’t always get what we waanntt...” if an updated weight room keeps bringing in the top level recruits and we obviously have the money, spend it?

I think having a weight room where you can fit the whole team would be nice. Current one can’t do that. So, time for an upgrade.

I concur

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This kind of thing--state of the art weight training facility--makes a big difference imo. Having great nutrition experts has to help, too. I would spare no expense on organic food and nutrition counseling. I'm sure most Dawg fans remember how many pulled hamstrings we used to get every season in the CMR years. It had to be something we were or were not doing because other teams weren't getting them. Right now, I think we have a potential weak area with broken bones. The nutrition staff needs to check the blood levels of the bone enhancing vitamins and minerals--Calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K2, etc. We shouldn't be having so many broken bones imho.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:
    This kind of thing--state of the art weight training facility--makes a big difference imo. Having great nutrition experts has to help, too. I would spare no expense on organic food and nutrition counseling. I'm sure most Dawg fans remember how many pulled hamstrings we used to get every season in the CMR years. It had to be something we were or were not doing because other teams weren't getting them. Right now, I think we have a potential weak area with broken bones. The nutrition staff needs to check the blood levels of the bone enhancing vitamins and minerals--Calcium, vitamin D, vitamin K2, etc. We shouldn't be having so many broken bones imho.

interesting. Not sure how many of those might have been avoided - not sure of the mechanics involved in the various broken bones or even how many of them. Surely it's something that can be looked into by one of the 8,433,876 auxiliary staff we've hired.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 6

@donm said:

@PerroGrande said:

interesting. Not sure how many of those might have been avoided - not sure of the mechanics involved in the various broken bones or even how many of them. Surely it's something that can be looked into by one of the 8,433,876 auxiliary staff we've hired.

Any time you have a cluster of injuries, I think it needs to be looked at by the 8mm. I read an article one time about the importance of vitamin D (you get it from the sun). It is supposed to be very important for a number of issues, but bone health is one of the most prominent (rickets). One team supplemented to the typical summertime level of lifeguards, and they felt like they did better as a team. Anyway, maybe others can pitch in and clarify, but I think Fromm, Parrish, Cleveland, Marshall?, McGhee, have had broken bones. I could be wrong on a couple, and I might have missed a few.

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

for an office environment, it has plenty of resources. can have your family become a member of the gym too. fitness class from HIIT to cycling to yoga, personal training is avail. a lot of people don't take advantage but plenty do

I just got back from the gym. Did Jacob's ladder,row machine, AMT, and jumped rope

@PerroGrande said:

overall we do seem a much less injured team under CKS than we did under CMR

if I remember UGA was one of the last Div I programs to hire a full time, dedicated S&C coach

I am a Packers fan and for the last several years the Packers have consistently been one of the 3-4 most inured teams in the NFL

when it is happening year in and year out it leads me to believe there is an issue with the program. Since UGA has course-corrected I think it is even more true now than I did before

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 6

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

for an office environment, it has plenty of resources. can have your family become a member of the gym too. fitness class from HIIT to cycling to yoga, personal training is avail. a lot of people don't take advantage but plenty do

I just got back from the gym. Did Jacob's ladder,row machine, AMT, and jumped rope

Where's the curls for the girls my man? Gotta get the Dawgnation polo fitting snug for the summer

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:

@donm said:

@PerroGrande said:

Any time you have a cluster of injuries, I think it needs to be looked at by the 8mm. I read an article one time about the importance of vitamin D (you get it from the sun). It is supposed to be very important for a number of issues, but bone health is one of the most prominent (rickets). One team supplemented to the typical summertime level of lifeguards, and they felt like they did better as a team. Anyway, maybe others can pitch in and clarify, but I think Fromm, Parrish, Cleveland, Marshall?, McGhee, have had broken bones. I could be wrong on a couple, and I might have missed a few.

God, we got to stay out of the indoor facility?

@Acrum21 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

Where's the curls for the girls my man? Gotta get the Dawgnation polo fitting snug for the summer

ha! I don't do weights. no philosophical reasons why. I am just lazy and I don't enjoy it

I do bjj a few times a week, run when the weather is nice, and eat entirely too much. I do just enough exercise to avoid being obese basically. I like the jacobs ladder and row machine for impact free cardio

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@PerroGrande said:

@donm said:

@PerroGrande said:

God, we got to stay out of the indoor facility?

Nothing that specialized lighting cannot fix. Perhaps a retractable roof if it is an iffy day. 😉

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tfk_fanboy said:

@Acrum21 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

ha! I don't do weights. no philosophical reasons why. I am just lazy and I don't enjoy it

I do bjj a few times a week, run when the weather is nice, and eat entirely too much. I do just enough exercise to avoid being obese basically. I like the jacobs ladder and row machine for impact free cardio

That's awesome, I'd love to get into bjj. I have some family that used to live in Ecuador and they did some training with one the gracies can't remember which. Talk about a BAD dude.

• HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

Sign me up for the donut bar...that sounds awesome.

@Acrum21 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@Acrum21 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

That's awesome, I'd love to get into bjj. I have some family that used to live in Ecuador and they did some training with one the gracies can't remember which. Talk about a BAD dude.

I highly recommend it for everyone. Leave your ego at the door ha. You will get manhandled by people you would swear could not kick your you know what. And they'll do it over and over again in new and imaginative ways haha

Lots of fun though. It is a culture of mostly really nice and helpful folks.

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

Was a new weight room not incorporated into the IPF? If not, that's just poor planning.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

Seeing how I’ve owned my own landscaping company for 20yrs and never sat at a desk I have to ask. W th is a treadmill desk?

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 75 ✭✭ Sophomore

exactly like it sounds...

@Dawg1419 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

Seeing how I’ve owned my own landscaping company for 20yrs and never sat at a desk I have to ask. W th is a treadmill desk?

Exactly what it sounds like, friend. Imagine a desk you stand at. So higher. But instead there is a treadmill so you have to walk

@ftn49 said:
    exactly like it sounds...

Pretty much. The ones we have look different but that's basically it

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@tfk_fanboy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

Exactly what it sounds like, friend. Imagine a desk you stand at. So higher. But instead there is a treadmill so you have to walk

I would have never guessed. Thought my leg was being pulled. That someone would think of such, much less someone actually buying one. Boy I’m really lacking in this life.

@Dawg1419 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@Dawg1419 said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

@WCDawg said:

@tfk_fanboy said:

haha that is often true

I would have never guessed. Thought my leg was being pulled. That someone would think of such, much less someone actually buying one. Boy I’m really lacking in this life.

Not going to be an Adonis but it's movement instead of sitting for 8+ hours

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loved when Keith Marshall (DGD) trolled Tech before our game this year. Maybe we can upgrade our weights and sell the old set to GT. They need them.