With Nester no longer an option and 3 spots at most available; who do we end up with?

MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still have Elam coming. I'd LOVE to bring in Cross and think if we bring in Ansley, that helps our chances with him. Jmo. With Nester no longer in the mix, do we go all in for Pickens?

Comments

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 9

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/11315/jr-coming-back#latest

@MacDawg15
    Not trying to be a d*ck here, just showing this convo is going at the end of this thread (got off subject from JR read so it didn’t stick out)

• donmdonm Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:
    I still have Elam coming. I'd LOVE to bring in Cross and think if we bring in Ansley, that helps our chances with him. Jmo. With Nester no longer in the mix, do we go all in for Pickens?

May be more than 3 slots open now.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What’s interesting here is that Ansley is probably the best hire given the realistic options. Immediate impact could adversely affect Elam, but make it easier going forward for 20’. Lanning named DC guarantees Elam from what I’m hearing. FWIW-JMO even if Ansley is hired I think we would keep Elam, but it would make the situation interesting/harder.

Lots of names floating and ALL speculation. Very little confidence in any info with coaching moves. TIFWIW.

• PortlanddawgPortlanddawg Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wait, why is Nester not an option? He’s still wide open for a flip unless I’ve missed something.

• IwantNakobeIwantNakobe Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Portlanddawg said:
    Wait, why is Nester not an option? He’s still wide open for a flip unless I’ve missed something.

Watch before the hedges Jeff said he’s not consedirong us

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@MacDawg15
    Not trying to be a d*ck here, just showing this convo is going at the end of this thread (got off subject from JR read so it didn’t stick out)

Didn't see this before I started the thread. I think adding Cross with Cine will be an insane amount of talent in '20. Cine is an absolute beast.

@MacDawg15 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@MacDawg15

Didn't see this before I started the thread. I think adding Cross with Cine will be an insane amount of talent in '20. Cine is an absolute beast.

No problem, figured you would like the convo in there, towards the end.

@Portlanddawg said:

To sum it up, he realized after all the travel for the all American game he didn’t want to be that far from his family. Noting uga did wrong here and can’t fault the kid.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Portlanddawg said:

To sum it up, he realized after all the travel for the all American game he didn’t want to be that far from his family. Noting uga did wrong here and can’t fault the kid.

And I think the Luke Ford experience taught us something...don't burn the scholarship if the kid will get homesick. Glad he found that out before spending a year away

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Portlanddawg said:

And I think the Luke Ford experience taught us something...don't burn the scholarship if the kid will get homesick. Glad he found that out before spending a year away

hard to predict who will get homesick enough to leave.

• innercityinnercity Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Portlanddawg said:

I just want to point out that beloved gravely ill grandparent is not mere homesickness or anything akin to it at all. From his very strong comments Ford made it very clear that were his family member healthy or even moderately ill transferring closer to home would have never crossed his mind. So unless your statement is "don't recruit an out of state kid who has a close family member that is ill or might become ill" I don't see how it relates to this situation or is in any way at all helpful.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,759 admin
    edited January 10

UGA won't welcome key remaining official visitors (especially Elam) until it has a defensive coordinator and DBs coach in place.

Look for Elam to wait until at least next weekend now. At least.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,759 admin

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Portlanddawg said:

hard to predict who will get homesick enough to leave.

We have to remember here that Ford REALLY loved Georgia. He made a note in his phone on his first visit after his de-commitment from Arkansas that said "No matter what... Georgia" because he loved the fit there so much.

That was even before he met Mr. Justin Fields.

Sometimes life happens. Things change, Mox.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if it's more likely to get some transfers/JC guys than to land some true freshmen. Doesn't seem like there are many uncommitted TF out there.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:

@Portlanddawg said:

Watch Before the Hedges, sir. I sometimes try to drop some good stuff on those loyal viewers, too.

Soooo, UGA throws MORE money at Coach Pittman and gives him a new title (presumably) and then he promptly loses Doug Nester, 5:37 in the BTH YT, THE prominent OL , who had interest in the UGA BEFORE Pittboss got that money and the new title (presumably). Sooo, if UGA takes away that money from Pittboss, and the new title (presumably), think Nester regains his interest in the UGA?. 😜

@JeffSentell said:
    A quick thought about Ansley.....

IF he is hired, he'd immediately become one of the 4-5 most effective recruiters on the staff. Easily.

I do realize that is a tall glass of water that I just typed up there.

That seems like that should be the hire imo then! Those are STRONG words. We're already recruiting at a level UGA never has reached before. The addition of Ansley (along with a less bland and predictable playcaller offensively) should be what truly puts us over the top. I know there is a time to bleed the clock, but ya dance with the girl you brought to the prom. Whatever gave us the ability to get up by multiple scores to BEGIN with, has to be done the whole game! I don't know if I'll ever get over us losing those 2 games because we took our foot off the gas. (I know we played the big 10 refs in that NC too, but still we can't stop being aggressive.) You CAN'T beat Bama doing that. I'm sure Dabo the clown knows that.
    And yea @JeffSentell if Ansley is a top 4-5 recruiter for us, he seems like a lock. I know he's a d a m n good coach. I would think Shu or Lanning definitely takes over when Ansley left for a HC job; (whenever that may be.)
    BTW that before the hedges imo was probably the best one I've seen yet @JeffSentell . TRULY great work. The heat your bringin is why your the best at what you do my friend! Last thing bud; I know only CKS knows WHEN a decision will be made for both coordinator spots. But in YOUR opinion shouldn't a decision come any day now? I can't imagine any upside for it taking longer, unless there are certain circumstances. Also, I know whoever KS brings in to coach TE's will have to be able to recruit; but do you think he's going after a young up and comer, or someone already known on a national level? As always thanks brother! GATA

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JeffSentell said:
    A quick thought about Ansley.....

IF he is hired, he'd immediately become one of the 4-5 most effective recruiters on the staff. Easily.

I do realize that is a tall glass of water that I just typed up there.

I'm all in for Ansley, seems the perfect fit.

That guy is an absolute IRREPLACEABLE MACHINE! It's gonna be an awful day when he retires. After the best O line recruiting arguably EVER over the Smart era, there are a few names I'd go after once there is no Pitt boss. But I'm curious as to who you guys think would be great hires to replace a legend? (Hopefully a LONG time from now!)

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    What’s interesting here is that Ansley is probably the best hire given the realistic options. Immediate impact could adversely affect Elam, but make it easier going forward for 20’. Lanning named DC guarantees Elam from what I’m hearing. FWIW-JMO even if Ansley is hired I think we would keep Elam, but it would make the situation interesting/harder.

Lots of names floating and ALL speculation. Very little confidence in any info with coaching moves. TIFWIW.

If that's the case then shouldn't he be a lock? Assuming Lanning doesn't leave, and Elam wants to be coached by him, I wouldn't think the job title he has would make a difference..

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 431 ✭✭✭ Junior

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

If that's the case then shouldn't he be a lock? Assuming Lanning doesn't leave, and Elam wants to be coached by him, I wouldn't think the job title he has would make a difference..

Elam would not be coached by Lanning unless he takes over DB coaching. What am I missing here?

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNut said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

Elam would not be coached by Lanning unless he takes over DB coaching. What am I missing here?

Shows how much I know.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As for the rest of that stuff you are spouting, I have no words for you, sir.

@JeffSentell - From your reportage, I'd always gotten the feeling that being close to home was the determining factor. That's why I wasn't counting on him coming to UGA (though of course he's welcome).

@FirePlugDawg said:

@JeffSentell said:

@Portlanddawg said:

Watch Before the Hedges, sir. I sometimes try to drop some good stuff on those loyal viewers, too.

Soooo, UGA throws MORE money at Coach Pittman and gives him a new title (presumably) and then he promptly loses Doug Nester, 5:37 in the BTH YT, THE prominent OL , who had interest in the UGA BEFORE Pittboss got that money and the new title (presumably). Sooo, if UGA takes away that money from Pittboss, and the new title (presumably), think Nester regains his interest in the UGA?. 😜

Huh? I guess that was supposed to be humorous? Kind of silly to me.