Hey Martell, what you think about UGA..........

darklangodarklango Posts: 30 ✭ Freshman

I'm curious if Kirby is going to try and recruit Martell. I honestly would love it if he came here. I think he's a gamer from his high school film.

Comments

• darklangodarklango Posts: 30 ✭ Freshman

I don't believe in the "QB competition". I think that's why these players are leaving. I believe most starting QBs have already been awarded the job.

Being honest, why would Martell leave if Fields haven't even been granted a waiver? He obviously know things that we don't

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@darklango said:
    Being honest, why would Martell leave if Fields haven't even been granted a waiver? He obviously know things that we don't

That’s besides the point. He left because he can’t win the job. Is your thought process he would stay if Fields sits a year ? So he gets to start for 1 season by default ?

To map out the competition line below:

Fromm > Fields > Tate

• innercityinnercity Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 10

@Kasey said:
    So we are trading one quitter for another...

That is hardly fair. Say Jake Fromm is a future #5 overall pick. Where does that leave you if you are merely a #15 overall pick? Lots of guys who couldn't beat out top picks transferred to where they could play and became middle round picks.

Also Jusrin Fields chose Ohio State over Oklahoma, Penn State, USC, NC State and a bunch of other places that were rumored as potential landing spots real fast didn't he? It is as if he didn't consider anywhere else. There was probably a reason for that. Martell leaving after doing all that posturing strongly supports the notion that at the very least Fields was informed it was his job to lose meaning no real competition was forthcoming.

Look in situations like that the preferred guy gets the job merely by not being bad. The guy left outside looking in being better than the other guy isn't enough. So long as the preferred guy is good enough to win games for a loaded team against a mostly easy schedule he plays. That leaves the other guy with no realistic chance of "winning " the job regardless of what the coaches get up there and claim to the public about "competition." And yes this happens all the time.

Think about it. How often does a capable returning starter at QB lose his job? It almost never happens. That's why what happened with Hurts last year and Bryant this year is so shocking .. it so rarely

edited January 10

@innercity said:

@Kasey said:

That is hardly fair. Say Jake Fromm is a future #5 overall pick. Where does that leave you if you are merely a #15 overall pick? Lots of guys who couldn't beat out top picks transferred to where they could play and became middle round picks.

Also Jusrin Fields chose Ohio State over Oklahoma, Penn State, USC, NC State and a bunch of other places that were rumored as potential landing spots real fast didn't he? It is as if he didn't consider anywhere else. There was probably a reason for that. Martell leaving after doing all that posturing strongly supports the notion that at the very least Fields was informed it was his job to lose meaning no real competition was forthcoming.

Look in situations like that the preferred guy gets the job merely by not being bad. The guy left outside looking in being better than the other guy isn't enough. So long as the preferred guy is good enough to win games for a loaded team against a mostly easy schedule you play. That leaves the other guy with no realistic chance of "winning " the job regardless of what the coaches claim. And yes this happens all the time.

I totally agree. It happened here at UGA. Fromm would have not been the starter if Eason never got hurt. Fields never could beat Fromm out regardless of how well he played. I'm thinking Martell knows he's no longer the future starter at OSU.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@innercity said:

@Kasey said:

Look in situations like that the preferred guy gets the job merely by not being bad. The guy left outside looking in being better than the other guy isn't enough. So long as the preferred guy is good enough to win games for a loaded team against a mostly easy schedule you play. That leaves the other guy with no realistic chance of "winning " the job regardless of what the coaches claim. And yes this happens all the time.

Admittedly I’m still salty at how all this was handled. Could’ve been done better. Could’ve not lawyered up etc

• Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@darklango said:
    I'm curious if Kirby is going to try and recruit Martell. I honestly would love it if he came here. I think he's a gamer from his high school film.

I think he's a wuss from his words and actions

• RedbonebanditRedbonebandit Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

@darklango said:

May have had a falling out with the staff over the Twitter comments, could feel disrespected by the staff bringing Fields in. Not saying you're wrong just could be other factors.

@Mickey_Hand said:

@darklango said:

I didn't like how he ran his mouth. I also didn't like Johnny Man and Bakers either but they were lights out on the field

@darklango said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@darklango said:

I didn't like how he ran his mouth. I also didn't like Johnny Man and Bakers either but they were lights out on the field

/.
    Yeah well if HE was lights out, he wouldn't have been riding the pine.

@darklango said:

@innercity said:

@Kasey said:

I totally agree. It happened here at UGA. Fromm would have not been the starter if Eason never got hurt. Fields never could beat Fromm out regardless of how well he played. I'm thinking Martell knows he's no longer the future starter at OSU.

What you just stated helps make the point of why UGA doesn’t need Tate.

Fields committed to UGA while both Eason and Fromm already on board. (In my opinion) Fields must have seen Eason as the starter but thought after two years he would beat out Fromm and be the starter in 2019. It didn’t work out that way obviously but Fields still signed up to compete.

Tate was already at OSU and was waiting his time (good thing) but he ran his mouth on twitter (in my opinion to try and scare Fields to not come, didn’t work). Fields signs up to compete once again and Tate runs, without backing up his talk or even giving himself a chance.

He comes here and UGA signs another 4-5 star next season to compete with him, what are the odds he transfers out another time ?

Tate = Blake Barnett (Bama 5star commit).

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

No way ahould Martell be given a look. Let’s see how much more Fromm excels without the drama circus. We’ll get a 5-star next year.

• dawg723dawg723 Posts: 33 ✭✭ Sophomore

Just happy to see the circus leave Athens and get cranked up right on cue at the Ohio state.

@Kasey said:

@innercity said:

@Kasey said:

Admittedly I’m still salty at how all this was handled. Could’ve been done better. Could’ve not lawyered up etc

Now I am not defending his tactics to get a waiver. I know of people who faced true harmful discrimination in their lives - denied jobs, promotions, educational opportunties, the ability to buy a house in a good neighborhood with good schools for their kids and stuff - during Jim Crow and the few decades after and because of what they went through and lost what Fields is doing just doesn't sit right with me.

Other than that, Fields didn't do anything wrong. Plenty of guys have let it be publicly known that they plan to transfer or jump to the NFL before the season is over. And it isn't as if he called a press conference to announce his leaving. It was leaked, and there was nothing indicating that he was the source of the leak. It may have been - and likely was - a member of his family and it could have even been one of the Ohio State people to put public pressure on him and force him to choose one way or another, and I wouldn't put it past them if they did.

And people are only salty because he was a 5 star recruit. If he were a 3 star recruit, not only would everyone shrug, but they would actually root for him to do well somewhere else because that would only validate how good Fromm is and the recruiting job that Smart is doing.

• efreeman3efreeman3 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    @efreeman3 What’s the DV for ? If you disagree I’d like to hear your take.

Accidentally DV.

@darklango said:

He leaves Ohio State because he’s afraid to compete with Fields, and you think he’s going to come to UGA to compete with a guy who already BEAT Fields?
    SMH

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@darklango said:

That’s besides the point. He left because he can’t win the job. Is your thought process he would stay if Fields sits a year ? So he gets to start for 1 season by default ?

To map out the competition line below:

Fromm > Fields > Tate

Consider darklango's point. How often do winning starting QBs lose their jobs in college? Almost never happens. That's why Jalen Hurts and Kelly Bryant losing their jobs was so shocking, because it is so rare. Now do you honestly think that this is because all these programs never recruit another QB capable of beating them out? I see it all the time .... state university X has Bobby who wins 8 or 9 games a year and is a 7th round pick. Then Terry who redshirted then backed Bobby up for 2 seasons gets the job, wins 11 or 12 games a year and is a 1st round pick. Does anyone honestly think that Terry wasn't clearly better than Bobby long before then? If not in his first year when he redshirted, definitely by his third year? Yeah, sure. But I will guarantee you that Terry and Bobby's coach got up before the media every week and insisted that no one's job is safe, everyone has to work their tail off in practice, in games, in the classroom and off the field every week to compete to keep their job or they'll lose it. And, they are telling the truth! Because there is a competition in theory. It is just not an open and fair competition between everyone on equal footing. Terry can only "win" the job if Bobby goes on a 4 game losing streak throwing 3 times as many picks as TDs with a 35% completion percentage against Taxidermy Tech, Homecoming State, We're A Basketball School Anyway Poly and Cupcake U. That's the part that they leave out.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

He was a d o u c h e on QB1

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Problem is Fromms gonna b here 2 more years and Martel wants to start somewhere next year. Michigan? May save his and Harbaughs career. I know Im very frequently wrong but I think Martel would run circles around Shea Patterson in a QB Competition.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 517 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Tdub0199 said:

2nd

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

Have to say that it surprised me to hear Martell entered the pool. Definitely misjudged him, as I didnt think he would duck and run. I liked his chances against Fields, not because he is a better athlete than Fields, because he Fields clearly is. Same can be said for Fromm/Fields comparison. However, Fields has a long way to go with his pass progressions. Until he quits bailing after his first read is covered, Fields wont find himself as QB1. For whatever reason, his first instinct is to bail on the play and run the ball. I attribute it to his HS experience, when he could and did do it often. He was able to be very successful in HS doing that, so wasnt coached up very much to not do it. That's a very hard tendency to break, once it has gotten engrained. It will still be there within him at OSU.

• chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Tdub0199 said:

Yes he sure was...btw whatever happened to the 3rd guy on that show?

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@darklango said:
    I don't believe in the "QB competition". I think that's why these players are leaving. I believe most starting QBs have already been awarded the job.

Are you honestly saying it's better to give a guy a job instead of making a guy work for it EVERY week? This isn't the view where everybody gets a turn talking. An environment where people have to compete with each other makes EVERYBODY better. Over all the weeks of practice, film, weight room is where you learn who's gonna be your starter.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SaltDawg1515 said:
    Have to say that it surprised me to hear Martell entered the pool. Definitely misjudged him, as I didnt think he would duck and run. I liked his chances against Fields, not because he is a better athlete than Fields, because he Fields clearly is. Same can be said for Fromm/Fields comparison. However, Fields has a long way to go with his pass progressions. Until he quits bailing after his first read is covered, Fields wont find himself as QB1. For whatever reason, his first instinct is to bail on the play and run the ball. I attribute it to his HS experience, when he could and did do it often. He was able to be very successful in HS doing that, so wasnt coached up very much to not do it. That's a very hard tendency to break, once it has gotten engrained. It will still be there within him at OSU.

100% agree. Fields is a great athlete that can throw the ball. But at UGA he wasn't a true quarterback yet, and still has a LONG way to go. Taking off after that 1st read isn't there is hs ball. You can't do that and be successful in college. And JF's isn't as great as he thinks he is right now. I think he's thinking I'll go in the 1st round in 2 years. And he may because he's such a great athlete. But as far as right now and reaching that reality, he has a TON of work to do. I don't really care what he does now that he's not a DAWG. But I've got a feeling he's gonna look like a freshman many many times next year.

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

When Mike Griffith interviewed Dwan Matthis, Matthis said he asked the OSU staff the night before the early signing day if they had been in communication with Fields and they said No. Matthis in a round about way indicated he did not believe them. Maybe Martell does not want to compete, maybe he does not trust the coaching staff which is now turning over.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@darklango said:

I'm not sure about that. He seems a bit volatile and impulsive.