Falcons and Antonio Brown

RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just saw that there is buzzing going around that the Falcons are the leader to trade for AB. Am I the only one who thinks that’s the dumbest idea ever and would be a waste?

The defense is clearly the problem with this team right now, and we don’t need an ego in the locker room who is inferior to Julio.

Comments

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who are they wanting in return?

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 11

Dumbest idea ever. Which is precisely why our Falcons will entertain it. I fully expect the Falcons to ignore O line and other glaring needs and go after shiny receivers and such. I just hope our Falcons can maintain their crappy record long enough to be in a position to take Trevor Lawrence. Honestly though even if he was available, could we trust the Falcons to draft TLaw over some random "space tackler?" Probably not. Sheesh.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

Would be a bad move.

He's complained about his touches with JuJu, it'd be worse with Jones.

Also don't think it's true.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 11

Nope, we have enough at WR now. The NFL isn't structured to allow saturation at any position.

@JKFlyfish said:
    Dumbest idea ever. Which is precisely why our Falcons will entertain it. I fully expect the Falcons to ignore O line and other glaring needs and go after shiny receivers and such. I just hope our Falcons can maintain their crappy record long enough to be in a position to take Trevor Lawrence. Honestly though even if he was available, could we trust the Falcons not draft a "space tackler" instead of TLaw? Probably not. Sheesh.

It won't happen. No way the team can afford Julio, Ridley and Brown.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure if your source. Expect moves on big uglies, not offensive weapons.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we can trade McKinley and Beasley for him it’s a win.

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

@greshamdisco said:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/11/falcons-the-favorites-to-land-steelers-wr-antonio-brown-in-a-trade/

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RobbieRob14 said:
    I just saw that there is buzzing going around that the Falcons are the leader to trade for AB. Am I the only one who thinks that’s the dumbest idea ever and would be a waste?

The defense is clearly the problem with this team right now, and we don’t need an ego in the locker room who is inferior to Julio.

Defense has improved under Quinn a good bit. This year it didn't look like it because Neal and Jones were out pretty much the entire year. Not many teams can handle losing their top two defensive players and not have a setback.

Defensive rankings:
    2013 (pre-Quinn) - 27th in yards/game
    2014 (pre-Quinn) - 32nd in yards/game
    2015 - 16th in yards/game
    2016 - 25th in yards/game
    2017 - 9th fewest yards/game
    2018 - 28th in yards/game (injuries)

His worst year is what the team averaged for many years prior. The Falcons need linemen on both sides of the ball. Everywhere else is pretty solid, not to say those other positions are perfect.

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Teddy said:

@RobbieRob14 said:

Defense has improved under Quinn a good bit. This year it didn't look like it because Neal and Jones were out pretty much the entire year. Not many teams can handle losing their top two defensive players and not have a setback.

Defensive rankings:

His worst year is what the team averaged for many years prior. The Falcons need linemen on both sides of the ball. Everywhere else is pretty solid, not to say those other positions are perfect.

I know that they have improved. But in order to get someone like AB, you obviously have to give up depth pieces. Not having depth on D is what caused us to have such a big setback this year.

This isn't even taking into account the cap hit that Julio and AB will take up. Who was the last team to win the Super Bowl with an all-pro WR? Let alone 2? Steelers with Hines? That's just not a position that you should be sinking that much money into.

But as we both agree, the lines are the biggest needs for this team. And a corner to replace Robert "Always Draws a Flag" Alford.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RobbieRob14 said:

@Teddy said:

@RobbieRob14 said:

Defensive rankings:

I know that they have improved. But in order to get someone like AB, you obviously have to give up depth pieces. Not having depth on D is what caused us to have such a big setback this year.

This isn't even taking into account the cap hit that Julio and AB will take up. Who was the last team to win the Super Bowl with an all-pro WR? Let alone 2? Steelers with Hines? That's just not a position that you should be sinking that much money into.

But as we both agree, the lines are the biggest needs for this team. And a corner to replace Robert "Always Draws a Flag" Alford.

I was addressing your defensive remarks for the most part. I stated they needed to get linemen (both sides of the ball), implying a trade for Brown wouldn't be smart at all. I agree with your take on that part.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:

I hope you are correct. Both sides of the ball need help on the line.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thomas Dimitroff is on drugs if he signs Brown. As much as he loves shiny objects, he knows the defense is a mess.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would hate to see the Falcons take on that much salary at the WR position when we already have Julio, Sanu, and Ridley.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Obviously Sanu would be gone....who else? Not saying I like it but I could see it happening if we dump enough salary. And Sanu is robbing the Falcons right now on his deal.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Considering culture fit, I will go ahead and guarantee there is ZERO chance that malcontent Brown ends up on the Falcons roster.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Julio for AB, who says no?

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:

Nooooo....AB is older and is no where near as physical.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:

Errbody.

edited January 11

@donm said:

@greshamdisco said:

I hope you are correct. Both sides of the ball need help on the line.

A key OL and 2 all star defenders were injured, the team has a lot of talent and with a couple of additions on defense, plus replacing a OG, they will compete in the playoffs in 2019.

1. get healthy.
    2. sign a good free agent OG .
    3. draft a good DT or SS DE
    4. add depth