When Tyson Campbell learns how to turn his head around he’s going to be a monster

cd1044cd1044 Posts: 495 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited February 10 in Football

I’ve been watching film of the secondary and seeing what everyone in the secondary can do to reach their potential. With lecounte it’s as simple as wrapping up when he tackles; with Tyson Campbell if he learns to run his head around he can absolutely become an all American. He’s always in good position a lot of the time but got a lot of flags simply because his head wasn’t turned around in coverage. Turning his head around can also give him more chances to grab picks as he does have great ball skills. Deandre baker use to have the same problem as a freshmen and some as a sophomore but when he learned how to turn his head around that’s really when he started to become a monster. What do y’all think?

Comments

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes!

• cd1044cd1044 Posts: 495 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 10

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've rewatched almost every game from last season and thought the same, he was usually in great position just a little handsy and panicky. Also noticed when he had a bad play he often made up for it very quickly. Stripped balls recovered fumbles etc.

Exactly one good thing with campbell is he has a short term memory usually when he gave up a big play he bounced back. I agree also on deep balls when he isn’t turning his head around he panicked and starts grabbing and holding when he doesn’t need to. An offseason of watching film, and get getting stronger will Make this kid a monster still the most physically gifted cb on the roster

• donmdonm Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WCDawg

We have pictures of me turning my head when I was an infant, the guy must be slow.

What about your hips? Any youngling photos of that?

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He could also play safety and never have to get his head around

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s still learning to play the position, remember he only played one year in HS. He looked better against Texas. For him, imo, it’s lack of confidence. Doesn’t trust his technique yet, and I agree on the panic. He needs to feel the position better, this will come with more reps and successful plays made. Purely speculation but imo, the only thing he trusted last year was his speed. Often ran right up the WR ass while ball was in the air. It’s fixable. Part of the secondary benefits of landing guys who were lesser athletes, but technicians like Elam, is that Campbell could watch and learn more closely how and why they’re successful. Having a “feel” of being in the hip pocket of a WR, coming out of breaks with exploding out of his chair, Stevenson does that exceptionally well now. That will raise all skills.

Lastly, if Campbell switched back to FS this year, I think he’d win the job and be a first rounder in 20. Elite potential at safety but kids want the CB money as safety has been devalued somewhat in recent years. Exchanging messages with our insiders here, there’s former players who also believe he’s NFL elite talent at safety.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 10

Donm, I could rotate both hips and turn my head at the same time at 9 months old.

Yea I also heard he doesn’t want to play safety and wants to exclusively play corner and yea he still is learning the position as he hasn’t played it that long. I think he has great upside at safety but also he has great potential at corner as he’s long athletic fluid hips and already one of the fastest corners in the country I can only imagine how freakish he would test at an nfl combine

Former NFL players think he’s first rounder at safety. If staff can convince him of that, he could make the move. I think he’ll see both roles in 19.

I think Campbell's future is likely at safety. It seems to me it's in his best interest to figure out where he has the most upside as soon as possible.

his measurements are identical to Eric stokes and we all think he will be one the best cbs in the nation

edited February 10

Just comparing measurements is a tiny bit of evaluating a player. Stokes is clearly a very good CB.

Also Campbell is probably an inch or more taller than Stokes, but I don't want to get off on that tangent yet again.

Oh yea for sure stokes is a special talent at cb but I think with how well stokes is progressing makes me thing campbell can take the same leap as they both have fluid hips long and fast

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you nailed it and I have faith Campbell will significantly improve in year 2.

• donmdonm Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WCDawg,

Donm, I could rotate both hips and turn my head at the same time at 9 months old.

You are, clearly, more than just an average Joe poster!!🤑 (not sure what this means but I liked it)

''Faith'' that word is used a lot for a football board.

If I have faith it's reserved for more serious things.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, but I’ll bet you couldn’t high point the ball.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Whatever direction Campbell chooses to take his career, I'll be pulling for him. I love how aggressive he is making tackles in run defense as a corner. It's like having a third safety on the field.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg I don't disagree with you that safety may be his best position, especially in the NFL. My biggest issue, and probably the defensive staff at Georgia as well, is that it is very difficult to find corners. Especially with the size and speed combination that Campbell has.

If we happen to have two better corners on the roster, Stokes plus another, then maybe we see him play some safety. But I doubt there is anyone on the roster with his potential at corner.

Three positions are very difficult to recruit elite players: OT, DT and CB. Safeties aren't difficult to find. Maybe elite safties are difficult to find but good safties are easy to find. It's difficult to find just good CBs - much less elite ones.

You may be right that Campbell eventually ends up at safety - but I believe the coaches will do everything possible to make him a corner.

I feel the same way. Not many corners in the country are 6'2, quick, long, and run a 4.2 campbell has elite upside at corner if developed property don't know why so many people are trying to force him to convert to safety he clearly doesn't want to be a safety

I want to see him where I know he is great, not just the potential to be great. I want him and the defense to be great. Honestly don’t care where he plays as long as he’s great.

@texdawg I agree on CBs being rare and typically no more than 3-4 elite ones every class. Daniel will push for a starting role in 19 I think.

I'm not suggesting you are wrong on Campbell. Honestly, I don't know these guys nearly as well as you do.

My expertise, if I even have one, is knowing what it takes to play certain positions - primarily on defense. I never watch film on any of the recruits. I don't want to spend any more time on Hudl than I have to.

If you don't think he has the skill set to play corner than you may be right.

My point being that safety is not a particularly difficult position to play and there are really good ones who don't possess the skill set that I thought Campbell possessed.

And I believe Campbell would have benefited greatly from not playing as a freshman. Weaknesses were exposed that I believe will be corrected over the spring.

We’re in agreement, he can definitely play CB. My point is that I think he’s better or has a higher ceiling at safety after watching last year. If it clicks at CB, I’d absolutely want him there.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe you did, but I’m not sure you understood what texdawg Said.

Say Campbell only becomes a 3* CB and a 4* Safety. We’re probably still better off playing him at CB if our only alternatives are somebody else who’s a 3* safety and a 1* CB.

The example is entirely contrived. But it’s not that out of the question because it’s easier to find safeties than it is to find corners.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭ Junior

Campbell has a choice of becoming an elite NFL safety or a fledgling CB. No need to force a square peg in a round hole. Yes UGA should try to train him at both positions and they will but his best fit and future lies at safety. He could be servicable at CB but he likely will not start at CB by the 2020 season....maybe not even 2019.

TS is a monster press corner. He is that beast. He has 1st round NFL CB ability. His fluidity in his hips is astounding for a kid his size...natural instincts. I would venture to say that TS will be the best CB on the Dawgs by mid 2020 season. Will benefit from time spent with S&C staff. Once his conditioning catches up with those natural instincts for the position, it is lights out on his half the field.

im high on stevevnson but a lot of people seem to be overrrating him just a tad. a lot of recruiting services said he struggled at corner in the mcdonalds all american practices and might be a better fit at safety or star

wayyy to early to say he won't start at corner in 2020,we nee to see how he progresses his sophmore year, once again ppl are trying way to hard to push him to play safety. Yes he has elite potential at safety but why doesn't he also have elite potential at corner? he's long, fluid, physical and has track speed