Part 2 - What 2-3 position groups is it most important to sign elite prospects?

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I enjoyed reading all the comments and the answers Dawgnation sent in. There was actually a little consistency in some of the answers.

I had a strong opinion on what I thought the answer was but I also did a little research.

Over the past few weeks we have had a number of recruiters at the school and I asked them the same question. I also emailed a few of my friends who are coaches in various programs around the country.

I received responses from 16 total coaches at 16 different Div 1 schools. 4 Big 12, 3 American Athletic, 3 Mountain West, 2 Conference USA, 2 Sunbelt, 1 SEC and 1 Patriot League.

Only one of the schools had ever signed a 5* recruit - TCU - and they have only signed one.

Most all said that recruiting elite athletes at any position is important. Many also said that recruiting elite prospects at certain positions is almost impossible at their school. But they continue to try.

Results:

All 16 coaches (every single one) agreed on two positions that were the most important - OT and DT. One consistent reason mentioned is that there just aren't enough large athletic lineman to go around. One coach said that the drop off from a great OT or DT to an average one is very significant.

8 coaches said CB as one of their 3 choices, 6 said pass rusher (DE or OLB) and two said QB. The two that said QB are actually defensive coaches.

When asked about the least important position group to recruit elite prospects:

All 16 agreed on one position group - TE. Many of the schools didn't really recruit TEs. One coach said that there typically wasn't much separation in production between really good TEs and avg TEs. The position group choosen the 2nd most was WR. Every program I spoke to ran an up tempo spread offense where WR is very important. They try to recruit certain size and speed parameters but most ssid it just wasn't difficult to find good WRs.

Safety and guard was next in the number of picks for least important. A few picks for ILB and a few for RB.

What I learned was pretty consistent with what I had always thought. I don't believe that this suggests thst a George Pickens or Justin Ross isn't an important recruit. They are very important. It doesn't suggest that teams shouldn't try very hard to sign a Daxton Hill or Arik Gilbert - of course they should.

What it suggest is that there are certain positions that are very difficult to find really good players and there are other positions that aren't as difficult to find good players.

If I knew more coaches and I had more than 16 responses - there would probably be more inconsistencies in the answers. There probably really isn't a right answer.

At least Kirby can recruit 5*s in every position group and he's proven to be very good at it.

Comments

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@texdawg this type of insight and info is why I love this board, keep up the good work coach

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting post. If you tidied it up a little bit, that would be better than most of the professionally written articles I’ve come across.

I feel kind of proud I answered the same way most of the coaches answered for the desired positions. But I got the reason a little wrong, I didn’t know it was hard to find OT’s, That makes what Pittman’s done in recruiting even more impressive. It’s impressive even if you didn’t know his guys are scarce. You realize they’re scarce and it just blows me away what he’s been able to do.

But there really is no right answer, Different things work for different coaches. Like I can completely see how if you’re running a spread offense you could prioritize a QB over a CB.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

good stuff here! thank you for this great post!

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This minor little study probably has very little to do about Georgia because these programs are far from elite. I just don't have any connections at some of the bigger programs.

And I agree with you, it was poorly written.

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭ Junior

If we're not talking about recruits, but instead truly elite players, then ILB shouldn't be near the bottom. Roquan won us a Rose Bowl almost by himself. I agree that there may only be 1 of those guys in the country for each class, but if you have one of the studs, you're going to be successful on D.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ILB is also more important for teams like UGA, Bama, etc. who run a 3-4. They have 2 ILBs on the field almost all the time, versus just one in a 4-3. So I think scheme will affect where you rank ILB for your particular team.

Obviously Georgia doesn't beat OU without Roquan. Also look how important Ross was to Clemson. Special players can make an impact from anywhere. I think the point is there are certain positions that are difficult to recruit because the body size or skill set is so rare.

Players like Zachery Evans, Jadon Hasselwood, Daxton Hill are recruited just as heavy as a Brian Breese, Isaiah Wilson or Dexter Lawrence even though the last three are very rare.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As always, awesome thread @texdawg . I picked OT, DT and OLB or edge players. Not from any personal experience but from what you see the NFL value and that's essentially the 5*'s of the 5*'s. Like Tex mentions, big athletic dudes are hard to find. Easy to find 6'0 200lb guys to run, catch and tackle. You also mention TCU, I love Gary Patterson. He's one of my favorite coaches

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg I thought you mentioned once you were a defensive coach. Are you a coordinator or position coach? Which position do you have the most experience coaching wise?

I was an o-line coach for years but for the past few years I have been a d-line coach. D-line is by far my biggest strength. I played DE in both HS and college. I was not a very good o-line coach.

I was a DC for two years in the late 90s but it was a time issue. In Texas, probably about 80% of private school coaches are not full time employees of the school. During the football season we work from 3-8 M-Th, 4-11 Fri and 7- 12 Sat morn. Almost a full time job. Add that to my "reg" career and it's a lot of hours. Too much to also be a DC. And I don't think I was a very good DC.

Public school coaches in Texas have to be full time employees of the school district but don't spend any more time on the football field.

I actually retired from coaching in Jan. My son is about to be a freshman and I wanted to enjoy watching him as a dad and not his coach.

• donmdonm Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

good for you. I know you'll enjoy sharing that with your son.