Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ARRESTED: Malkom Parrish

BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

So here we have someone charged with a felony for just having a gun on campus.

Where are the liberals saying we need even more common sense gun laws?

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought Georgia passed a law where of age people could carry a gun on campus... obviously I was wrong.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

unless he was doing something else nefarious I could care less. I have 3 in my house with me now.

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You have to have a permit to carry and 21 yo to have permitt

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Criminals and those doing shady stuff don’t go to sherriffs ofice and get finger printed which is required to be granted concealed carry in GA ... not sayin he is....

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm as big a defender of gun rights as anyone, but if he broke a law that was duly passed by our state legislature, he should face the consequences.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless he had bad intentions, it doesn't bother me. I carry 24/7 & that's my right...

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

at GDAY last year I saw the cops stop a guy who tried to bring his gun into Sanford

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander gun laws are incredibly lax in Georgia. Idk how you can complain about the laws there.

The citation falls under OCGA § 16-11-127.1, making it illegal to have a weapon on school grounds. This includes everything from elementary schools to universities, both public and private. It doesn't matter whether it's a knife, a gun, or any other type of weapon. It also doesn't matter whether you're in an athletic venue or not.

Exemptions are available under OCGA § 43-38-10, if you are 21 years old and meet the other requirements under that statute to receive a permit.

@AnotherDawg He has a permit since he wasn't charged with carrying a gun without one therefore he qualifies for the exemptions. He got arrested because he had the gun in a designated safety zone (athletic venue) and left it unattended adding reckless conduct.

That’s right! We should always obey government. It’s worked splendidly for every nation for all time!

Thanks @YaleDawg. I'm licensed to practice law in Georgia, but I'm not a criminal defense attorney. I just read the statutes top to bottom and gave my best take. If you're experienced in this area I'll defer to your opinion.

edited March 2019

The way it's written is confusing as hell. I just go off the info UGA provides and what my old coworkers at the University tell me. Guns are illegal everywhere unless you have a permit. If you have a permit you can't carry in professor offices, classes with a high school student, places where academic tribunals are held, dorms, frats, sororities, daycares, or athletic venues.

Edit: @AnotherDawg not trying to be a d.ick but want to make sure those on the forum who carry don't end up in trouble when they visit campus.

• GatorHaterGatorHater Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sh*t I carry on a campus in state every day. That being said I wouldn't leave it unattended in a bag.

Me possessing something in GA that’s perfectly legal and always has been would make me a felon and has a 25yr sentencing guideline in NY and California if possessed in the same manner.

”Respect the law” all you want.

i have zero respect for that type of law that turns law abiding peopleninto felons that can have their lives taken away by the state.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

If you think students should be allowed to carry loaded guns on campus you're maybe a bit off your rocker. That said, this will be pled down to a misdemeanor.