Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Magic Johnson, what a busta

ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Laker's can't recover anytime soon.

Comments

• Options
    MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next LeBron will be demanding a trade.

• Options

Doubt it. Dude has his hooks in Hollywood. I'm not a LeBron fan so I refuse to watch anything his company has on TV. Lakers should trade him far, far away and take what they can get. Great business man, just don't care for him. Rubs my fur the wrong way.

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s the Lebron effect for ya.

• Options
    Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been a Laker fan ever since they moved from Minnesota. I got to see Wilt and Jerry play at the "Fabulous Forum" during their Championship run in 71/72 when they won 33 in a row - still a record for all major U.S. sports.

It's been a dagger to my heart to see this storied franchise mismanaged like it has over the last decade. LeBron is so transparently using the Lakers to begin his career in Hollywood that it has the possibility of tarnishing his legacy. You cannot be considered GOAT and play defense the way he did this year. You cannot be considered GOAT and show the type of mental weakness he did this year.

I don't know what the solution is other than the Lakers need a coach that has a pair and can pull these guys together. The Lakers have considerable talent, but they play ZERO DEFENSE and don't function as a unit - it's like watching a pickup game at the local gym.

• Options

Would you agree they wasted a first round pick on the Ball kid? Dude is junk IMO.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought that at the time as well. He was more marketing than player, thought he would be better than this though.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The issue with this team is that it couldn't withstand a Lebron injury. There's a case to be made that building a roster to complement Lebron is in fact a winning strategy, but when he went down, all you have is a bunch of role players and complementary pieces that can't anchor a winning team. Ingram is the closest thing they had to that, but he's not ready for it. There are no second fiddles on that roster who could prop up an offense until Lebron recovered.

Not resigning Brook Lopez was absolutely daffy. The Bucks getting him for pennies on the dollar at 1 year, 3.3 million, was arguably the most impactful transaction of the offseason. That move alone shifted the balance of power in the Eastern Conference, and it's baffling that the Lakers didn't pick him back up. The Anthony Davis drama sapped the team of it's energy and willingness to try. I imagine if the Lakers had the chance, they would have been much more quiet around the deadline, because those young guys haven't been around the business side of basketball to not get their feelings hurt by it. Ball's injury hurt them defensively. Lonzo was a far superior individual defender; of players who played in 46 or more games, Lonzo ranked 85th in defensive rating. Rondo is ranked 303rd. Trading Zubac was really ****.

In my opinion, this isn't squarely on Lebron. Lebron has been in the NBA long enough for the league to understand the challenges, both in roster building and drama, in signing Lebron. Magic took that challenge and couldn't construct anything close to a decent roster. That coupled with some really questionable trades and signings, plus Lebron's injury on Christmas Day, is why he's out.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally I’m not surprised by any of it in LA. Magic did ok but never thought Walton would make a good coach. Add Lebron to the mix and you have all the ingredients for a nice dumpster fire. Going to take some for the Lakers to be relevant again.

• Options

Ball has a mechanical flaw in his shooting motion that contributes to inconsistencies and lower shooting percentages. I think he's a good distributor, but the Lakers need a dominant Center and a #2 Guard who can shoot the three with accuracy.

• Options

Luke Walton looked like a deer in headlights. Lakers will be searching for a new HC, very soon.

• Options
    HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dont like Ball but i think he's better than what is down on stats. When he was on the court defense was WAY better due to his length and effort. But he didn't have a coach working with him on more offensive additions

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hawks would have made the playoffs with LeBron this year. That puts a perspective on the Laker situation and how bad their management has run the organization.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Here's a guy who never took a night off! What a beast and unfortunately most young people don't know who he was or what he accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNw0c19DhIU

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2019

I had to check my urban dictionary to find out what a "busta" was, but I didn't realize there are people who don't know who Wilt "100 points and 20,000 women" Chamberlain is.

• Options

Wilt's finger roll shot defied physics and logic. Incredibly difficult shot to make and he'd shoot them from 8-10 feet away from the basket. He was a freak.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My old HS coach used to have us do Mikan drills,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mikan

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

eh, magic has quit everything he wasn't good at. I'm not surprised

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate