Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former Georgia star D.J. Shockley comfortable with Stetson Bennett as QB backup

SystemSystem Posts: 10,499 admin
edited June 2019 in Article commenting

imageFormer Georgia star D.J. Shockley comfortable with Stetson Bennett as QB backup

ATHENS — Former Georgia quarterback D.J. Shockley says he has seen enough to declare Stetson Bennett as the Bulldogs’ backup quarterback entering the 2019 season. “Jake Fromm is obviously the unquestioned leader of this Georgia team, (but) there’s always going to be questions of who is the backup in case something

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I tend to like and pull for the guy everyone says is too short and/or too small and/or weak arm. I sincerely hope that the only time Stetson gets to play is "mop-up" duty but I think he can get the job done also. This is based on comments from coaches and teammates from the 2017 season.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is all well and good and I love DJ, but in all honesty, what else can he -- or anyone -- say at this point, other than Bennett can get the job done if need be. Quite frankly, we don't have any real choice. With Mathis out indefinitely -- if not permanently -- Bennett is our top backup, for better or worse. Actually, based strictly on media attention, I really thought Mathis was going to be #2 until his brain cyst. I mean Bennett got a lot of publicity when he first signed, but after Mathis signed and we went through Spring practices, just seemed like to me I heard less and less about Bennett and more and more about Mathis. I would say that time will tell, but I hope we never have to tell I at all. We need Jake. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was pretty nervous about QB depth also. But watching Bennett play in the spring game very much alleviated a lot of those fears. It wouldn't be ideal, but I'm not so sure a Fromm injury would completely derail the season now.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hopefully, Stetson won't "have" to play at all this season, but if he does we should be ok with him. Loke most programs we are one hit on our Qb away from the season going down the drain.