Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA football standouts debate the recruiting rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 11,058 admin
edited July 2019 in Article commenting

imageUGA football standouts debate the recruiting rankings

Some of UGA’s top football players got into a fun debate about recruiting rankings on Twitter on Tuesday. It all started when UGA running back Brian Herrien tweeted out that he “made it to Georgia with 0 starts, after I signed (with) Georgia they put me on rivals and gave me 3 stars …. stars & camps don’t

Read the full story here

Comments

• Lindsey2009dadLindsey2009dad Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Star ratings are entirely about statistics. What are the chances a player will make it to the NFL? The data proves that 5 star players as a group are significantly more likely to make it into the show than the group of players of a lower star rating. For emphasis, this applies to the total group of players within the star rating level and cannot be applied to any individual. So, as a test, WITHOUT knowing a thing about the players individually, ask yourself the question: "Would I take a team of all 3 stars over a team of all 5 stars for my college team?" I know what my answer is.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I totally agree.. A few reps at an all star camp means nothing. The talent, and production that got them to an all star camp is the only thing that really matters.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as we don't recruit those "5 star hearts."

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Then there are players like Fields' whose five star rating is based entirely on camps and 7 on 7 games. There was not enough game information available to warrant such a lofty rating. High upside...yes; second best player in the country, no way! His lack of game experience in HS is the reason he was overwhelmed last year except when he was playing against the most middling of competition and was never close to unseating Fromm.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It looks like Florida is trying the 3 star way. I prefer the CKS method.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've started putting much more stock into how much energy the coaches put into pursuing a player, than what his ranking is. Although they do tend to go together. But with some, especially Kirby, that is not always the case. I've learned over the years that if Kirby is going hard after a 3 star player, there's a pretty dang good reason for it.

• poofedpoofed Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

How did Fields not have enough information to warrant his rating? He started for two seasons, that's enough games to evaluate how good a prospect he was. I think you need to go back and do some research on Fields prep career.